Nearly unusable connection

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hamradio
Senior

Nearly unusable connection

Here we go again! About a week ago I called phone support about the problems. Was issued ticket # 125796 184. Engineering never called back. I called support again on 12-21-2019. They checked my ticket and said I wanted to know how satellite internet worked. Wrong! I gave them a laundry list of symptoms that they apparently ignored. I ran through my list of symptoms again. I was then forced to jump through the usual hoops (again) before any action would be taken. I complied. They then issued a new trouble ticket, # 126031828 and said engineering would call. I hope they follow through this time!!!! Symptoms: * Although testmy.net has sometimes previously indicated =>20 Mbps the actual *throughput* has been abominable for a long time. * Testmy also sometimes reports download speeds well in excess of 1,500 Mbps which is impossible. * Today testmy.net was indicating a download of ~3 Mbps using 25 MB testing and the actual throughput is even worse than usual * Testmy.net connection chronically dropped and reconnected. * Testmy.net hung and failed the latency test. * There are very, very long pauses during a web page load. Simply no activity, waiting... * Youtube low res videos constantly buffering. I don't even try streaming large videos, movies, etc. That is hopeless. * Often a web page fails to load at all. Repeated "reload" clicks will usually finally load the web site. * Testmy.net results: https://testmy.net/quickstats/KZ4AK Power down resetting of the HT2000W and flushing DNS have not effect. Signal:112, IPGW ID J2SDO068HNSIGW0103, ESN 13179424, Diagnostic Code 0000-0000-0000-0005 I am waiting for the call back from engineering sometime next week . If they bother to call back... It seems that Hnet is happy to sell their service with a draconian contract but do not provide the service advertised. If any Hnet moderators can help with this it would be very much appreciated!!! Woody - KZ4AK @Liz @Damian

70 REPLIES 70

Hi Liz,

Just received a call and set up a session for next Monday.  -  Thanks!   The call back is scheduled for near a period of time when I plan to be away from the Hnet connection for some time.   During that time, I will have internet, but not on Hnet.   Want to get as much done as possible while I am here for testing. Long pause during downloads and lost connections (testmy reported) problem is still coming and going.   Also, I use "Dimension 4" program, via SNTP, to sync time on my PC for some programs that require the exact absolute time.   Gitting a lot of timeout reports there also.  Thanks again...

In the meanwhile...

Yesterday I got a phone mail from Hnet about my situation, so I called back.  After a little conversation, I realized it was an old message and was about the replacement modem (which didn't help).   While I had support on the line, inquired again about my issues.  Got nowhere with first level, they didn't seem to understand the problem (delays / dropped connections) so finally transfered me to "Home Tech Support".   Got pretty much the same from HTS.   The mantra is always that their checks indicate no problem (signal strength, testmy speed, etc.).   It seems what whatever the "standard" checks are, they will not discover the type of issue I have.   Support mostly focused on what might be wrong with my PC.   Sort of ignored the fact that it happens on the Ethernet desktop and two different wifi laptops.   We checked several modem settings which turned out to be OK.   However, one change was made.  My modem DNS was set to obtain DNS from ISP.  Changed it back to 8.8.8.8 (Google).   Previously I had it set for DNS from Google.  I am assuming that when I replaced the modem, it defaulted to ISP and I didn't think to reset it.   That change should not hurt, but from pre - new modem history will not solve the issue.

Woody

Good to hear, Woody. I hope the troubleshooting session yields a lot of useful information for the engineers.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

I’m looking forward to your next post hamradio, as I’m having precisely the same issues you are. I’ve been on several long phone calls with HN tech support and actually just had another technician on site who left very frustrated and at a complete loss for what was causing the inconsistency and intermittent service you describe. He even resorted to replacing hardware (dish transmitter and modem) before leaving. Unfortunately, the changes to new hardware didn’t result in any improvements. Testmy.net is very inconsistent as well. The tech who was here last week doesn’t even use it - he prefers the Speedtest by Ookla. I’ve only been a HN subscriber for two weeks now, and plan to leave in the next two weeks if the service does not improve drastically. Good luck on your call - I think a lot of us are eagerly awaiting your feedback in hopes of a solution!

Hello Liz,

I just finished a session with engineering (Ellen).   They were very nice and seemed to have a number of staff on their end listening.   Unfortunately, for me the system was performing at that time as good as it ever has - at least from my perspective.   Web site loads were fast and there was no buffering on youtube videos.  In fact, the download bar was typically well ahead of the "playing" progress bar.  They said they detected some issues on their end while looking at the connections I made, but they did not elaborate...   The bottom line is that engineering did not come up with a diagnosis / fix and said the situation would need further evaluation.   Ellen (engineering) requested that I log issues including day, time, device, and internet source - then report this data to you so that it can be passsed back to them.  I mentioned the period on  12 Jan when it took two hours (including six download failures) to get two 25MB PDF files downloaded.   Sadly, their monitoring records did not reach back that far.   So, I will continue to monitor and record trouble periods and report to you with the information.  

If the system worked as well as it did during the engineering session it would be wonderful!   But, time will tell.  

Regards,

Woody

@Liz 

Hi Woody,

I appreciate this update, I will be looking forward to this information and will pass it along to engineering as requested. Thank you!

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

I hope they pin point the issue, which more-and-more appears to be on their end. That being said, I just finished a up a phone call with a tier 4 HN tech. In summary, I’m having the exact same issues that hamradio is having: very good speed (though it varies) at one moment, then no service whatsoever. It’s not the speed I’m too concerned about, or even the variation in download speeds I’m seeing from running various speed tests (www.testmy.net seldom works BTW), but the complete loss (momentarily or not) of service or connection. Example: I know I’m losing Internet connectivity when I see my Wi-Fi security cameras LED light blinking. This is intended to show the homeowner that the camera has lost internet connection. After a few moments it returns to a solid LED, but then the cycle repeats like this continuously. Interestingly enough, the tech I spoke with admitted that there has been recent, and ongoing discussions at HN about possible software coding issues, at least with the station I’m affiliated with in NV. long story short, I’m supposed to hear an update from an engineer by the end of the week. Apparently, there have been enough similar complaints, at least with the beam and satellite I’m on, that it’s not being ignored (we’ll see). Given the hardware changes I’ve already had, HN does not suspect the issue is on my end. Finally - a possible path forward! I’ve only been dealing with this for a little over two weeks. I feel terrible for those of you who have been fighting this for months on end! I’ll let you know what hear later this week...

Ronkonguy,

Hope you can get the problem resolved.  Would be interesting to hear...

Woody

Liz,

A list of observations for the past few days follow.   Performance has not been good, so the list is long...

Unless otherwise stated, signal strength > 100

5 Feb 7:24 PM EST, Took 1 minute, 10 seconds to return this error (Multiple attempts, failures):
Secure Connection Failed
An error occurred during a connection to tvlistings.zap2it.com. PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR
Was able to connect OK using smartphone.
Addendum: tvlistings.zap2it.com still unreachable using Firefox or Chrome as of evening of 7 FEB, available on smartphone - strange.

5 Feb 7:38 PM Other sites loading, but slowly. 45 seconds to load; https://www.cvfcu.com/
...Just the login page.
Youtube videos taking a very long time to start, then some buffering while playing.

5 FEB 8:40 PM PC Time sync repeatedly "timed out while waiting for a response" - SNTP / NPT connection via Dimension 4 software At times the sync does not work. Not certain what is happening.
NPT Server: npt-2.vt.edu
Inability to time sync PC is causing malfunction on another application.

*** NOTE: For the following 4 entries on 6 FEB, signal strength may have dropped as low as 65 at times (some rain, clouds), mostly at 75 to 80.

6 FEB 12:23 PM Sending (SNTP/pop) email failed. Went through on second attempt.

6 FEB 12:30 PM Download of 2.5MB text file (from QRZ.com - https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.qrz.com/k/kz4ak/logbook/kz4ak.120776.20200206172651.adi) stalled. After several minutes, canceled download and restarted. The second try worked.
Other connections to qrz.com services very slow to respond, much of afternoon

6 FEB 1:04 PM Logging in to Paypal exceedingly slow, then timed out when trying to pay ("too long to respond"). A re-try worked, albeit very slowly.

6 FEB 1:18 PM Simple, short text email failed due to timeout.

7 FEB 8:30 PM Noticed many web sites loading very slowly. Ran testmy. It took about four minutes to run the 25MB test. Lots of hesitations (stops) in the test progress bar. Results: 1.1 Mbps.
Tried to run again. This time got warnings: Lost connection, trying to reconnect... I aborted the attempt.
https://testmy.net/quickstats/KZ4AK

8 FEB 11:10 AM Took over one minute to complete a 25MB download test. Indicated 3.87 Mbps and was loosing connection / reconnecting.

https://testmy.net/quickstats/KZ4AK

Is this enough, or should I continue to log?

Thanks, Woody

@Liz 

Woody - just chiming in on this again since your log could have been mine over the last few days.  I have given up to a large extent and am using my  Verizon phone since it is difficult to do anything using my internet connection.  Just wanted to make sure HughesNet understood this is not an issue isolated to your experience.

Good morning Woody,

Thank you for your updates! I've sent this over to engineering, and once I hear any further instruction or news from them, I'll let you know.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

Good morning Woody,

Thank you for your patience as our engineers reviewed your site logs. What they noticed was in general, the home network seems to have more packet drops which is rather unusual, this might be the reason for the performance issues. Perhaps you should try a different LAN cable to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks,

Liz

Liz,

Packet drops due to a 3' Ethernet cable seems strange, but I will try another cable to see what happens. Will use a different modem Ethernet port as well.

However, since my problem manifests itself not only on the hard wired PC, but two wifi connected PCs - and coupled with the symptoms of dropped connections and pauses in data transmission,  I think the issue is elsewhere.   My wife has an Ipad (wifi), but since I do not use it, cannot comment on the performance of that device.

Any additional updates on this situation will be greatly appreciated!

Woody - KZ4AK

Thanks Woody.

-Liz

Liz,

Before changing my Ethernet cable I ran well over 100 pings to the router.   Zero reported packet loss...

Is there a better way to check this?

Woody

Good morning Woody,

Engineering suggested this, so let me know how your performance fares after the LAN switch please.

Thanks,

Liz

Liz,

Since replacing the Ethernet cable, and using a different modem port, I cannot detect any difference.  Lately, performance has not been as terrible as the instances I reported eariler, but is still is not consistantly decent. 

Today, 19 Feb at 5PM EST,  testmy was reporting 26 to 64 Mbps and a ping to testmy averaged 632 ms.  Having said this, sites are slow to load and when running the speed test, there were multiple pauses in the progress.   Buffering of youtube videos is still common.  

As of 5:25 PM, performance has improved.  At this time no pausing of testmy speed check and no youtube buffering.   Seems that one can never tell when a slow down will occur....

Woody

Now, at 8:45 PM EST, 19 Feb, performance is rather bad again. 

General observation:  All web sites very slow to load.

...To sign on here at HN - After entering credentials, it took > a minute to begin to start showing opening page loading.

...Testmy:  Many long pauses during download test, loosing connection / reconnecting, report was  3.1 Mbps !!

...Tried to download a thermostat manual and after a lot of very long stalls, the download failed.  Same thing on second attempt to download. 

Site: https://customer.resideo.com/resources/techlit/TechLitDocuments/33-00000s/33-00269ES.pdf

Wodoy

Thanks Woody, I've sent these updates to the engineers for their input.

I'll post back once I have any news to share.

Thanks,

Liz

Hello,

After about 3+ weeks I am back in town and (trying to) using HN.   During my absence, I was quite spoiled by my Xfinity connection.  What a world of difference - And it is not just latency.

Now that I have returned after more than 3 weeks, I find no improvement with the extremely slow throughput performance.   Slow loads, buffering when playing low res video, etc.   

Obviously it begs the question, will HN ever fix things?

Woody

@Liz 

Also, for the afore mentioned videos, getting the error: (inexact quote)  "You do not have sufficient bandwidth to play this video."

_W_

Hi Woody, welcome back.

If you missed it, we have an announcement and ongoing updates post regarding COVID-19 and its effect on the HughesNet service, so please keep this in mind. 

What are you having difficulty doing online? If it's a specific site/application you're running into problems, with please let me know which site/application and describe what's happening.

Thanks,

Liz