Nearly unusable connection

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hamradio
Senior

Nearly unusable connection

Here we go again! About a week ago I called phone support about the problems. Was issued ticket # 125796 184. Engineering never called back. I called support again on 12-21-2019. They checked my ticket and said I wanted to know how satellite internet worked. Wrong! I gave them a laundry list of symptoms that they apparently ignored. I ran through my list of symptoms again. I was then forced to jump through the usual hoops (again) before any action would be taken. I complied. They then issued a new trouble ticket, # 126031828 and said engineering would call. I hope they follow through this time!!!! Symptoms: * Although testmy.net has sometimes previously indicated =>20 Mbps the actual *throughput* has been abominable for a long time. * Testmy also sometimes reports download speeds well in excess of 1,500 Mbps which is impossible. * Today testmy.net was indicating a download of ~3 Mbps using 25 MB testing and the actual throughput is even worse than usual * Testmy.net connection chronically dropped and reconnected. * Testmy.net hung and failed the latency test. * There are very, very long pauses during a web page load. Simply no activity, waiting... * Youtube low res videos constantly buffering. I don't even try streaming large videos, movies, etc. That is hopeless. * Often a web page fails to load at all. Repeated "reload" clicks will usually finally load the web site. * Testmy.net results: https://testmy.net/quickstats/KZ4AK Power down resetting of the HT2000W and flushing DNS have not effect. Signal:112, IPGW ID J2SDO068HNSIGW0103, ESN 13179424, Diagnostic Code 0000-0000-0000-0005 I am waiting for the call back from engineering sometime next week . If they bother to call back... It seems that Hnet is happy to sell their service with a draconian contract but do not provide the service advertised. If any Hnet moderators can help with this it would be very much appreciated!!! Woody - KZ4AK @Liz @Damian

70 REPLIES 70

Woody - sorry to but in on your thread !!

Liz - maybe you could just acknowledge that your service is not suitable for streaming or even basic internet browsing.  This is not due to Covid, it's not a weather issue, it's not a router issue, it's not a site issue - the satellite service CANNOT SUPPORT STREAMING.  Most of us would keep the service because we need email access, but for God's sake, just be honest about you can and cannot provide (and adjust billings accordingly)

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@ks5289 wrote:

Liz - maybe you could just acknowledge that your service is not suitable for streaming or even basic internet browsing.  This is not due to Covid, it's not a weather issue, it's not a router issue, it's not a site issue - the satellite service CANNOT SUPPORT STREAMING.   

My streaming, as well as my other activities on HughesNet for 15+ years, would suggest otherwise.  The instances of everyone else who streams and uses this service for "even basic internet browsing" would suggest otherwise, as well. 

So much for that claim.   

maratsade

They have 1.4 milion customers. Please provide evidence that all 1.4 million have issues streaming.  

ks5289 wrote:

the satellite service CANNOT SUPPORT STREAMING.  Most of us would keep the service because we need email access, but for God's sake, just be honest about you can and cannot provide (and adjust billings accordingly)

Liz,

The situation is the same as it has been.  Sometimes performance is relatively OK.  Much of the time not.  It is not relegated to any particular site or task.  It can be worse during prime time hours, but not always.   Has HN simply sold more service than it's resources can provide?  I must say that I become really annoyed when I see the false promises made by it's TV ads...

Yes, I do have limited internet acccess, but nothing like the claims made.

Woody

An example of "high speed internet":

I am downloading OpenOffice from SourceForge.  It is a 135MB file.  The download forecast is it will take an hour!  ...And watching the progress, that might be conservative.

Woody

Unfortunately the internal hourly and other status tools in HughesNet 'systemcontrol' can, do  and "WILL" report all in the green while at that very moment you cannot connect at all or are getting extremely subpar 256kbps speeds. Obtain another connection a freinds hotspot or anything wihtout changing anything on your system hardware or software: the instant use of the internet and viable connection speeds will nullify the constant referal to "It is all good on our end" response. 

maratsade

"report all in the green while at that very moment you cannot connect at all or are getting extremely subpar 256kbps speeds. "

When the dashboard is all green and you are having issues,  it means their side of the equation is working fine and that the signal from the satellite is getting to you fine.  If you experience low speeds and other issues  with a green dashboard, this means the issues are caused by something on your side of the equation, such as high traffic on the beam, or something related your home network, your devices, or your settings. 

If you would like speed or other tech issues addressed on this community, start a new thread under Tech Support, and be ready to provide evidence, such as speed tests from Testmy.net. 

If the system does not work for you and you have an ISP that works for you, it would make sense to cancel HughesNet and go with your other ISP. 

NetAnalyst
Freshman

I feel for you I ave same isue and the speed tests will often report super high speeds (per agreement and open provisioning of those pipes by Hughesnet) even while video or downloads and internet usage are not happening at all or very slow: "Try watching a video in even 480 or trying to do Windows update or download or anything ..if I get a respose at all the speeds are 8-256kbps most always with short burst of 1-4Mbps once in a while:  Watching any video service is immpossible and at SD and 480 you get a few seconds of video and then bufer circle a 2 minute video takes 10 minutes on last video i took."

If I then attach to my cellphones hotspot then I have instant everthing: so hopefully theyt can reprovision you and get you back up for a while then - rinse and repeat.