cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nearly unusable connection

Re: Nearly unusable connection

Good morning Woody,

Thank you for the info, I've passed it along to the engineers. I'll reach out once I hear back from them.

Thanks,

Liz

Please create a new thread in the community if you have a question or need help. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Hey there, Woody. Just a heads up, someone from our corporate office will reach out to you to schedule the troubleshooting call.

-Liz

Please create a new thread in the community if you have a question or need help. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.
Junior

Hi Liz,

Just received a call and set up a session for next Monday.  -  Thanks!   The call back is scheduled for near a period of time when I plan to be away from the Hnet connection for some time.   During that time, I will have internet, but not on Hnet.   Want to get as much done as possible while I am here for testing. Long pause during downloads and lost connections (testmy reported) problem is still coming and going.   Also, I use "Dimension 4" program, via SNTP, to sync time on my PC for some programs that require the exact absolute time.   Gitting a lot of timeout reports there also.  Thanks again...

In the meanwhile...

Yesterday I got a phone mail from Hnet about my situation, so I called back.  After a little conversation, I realized it was an old message and was about the replacement modem (which didn't help).   While I had support on the line, inquired again about my issues.  Got nowhere with first level, they didn't seem to understand the problem (delays / dropped connections) so finally transfered me to "Home Tech Support".   Got pretty much the same from HTS.   The mantra is always that their checks indicate no problem (signal strength, testmy speed, etc.).   It seems what whatever the "standard" checks are, they will not discover the type of issue I have.   Support mostly focused on what might be wrong with my PC.   Sort of ignored the fact that it happens on the Ethernet desktop and two different wifi laptops.   We checked several modem settings which turned out to be OK.   However, one change was made.  My modem DNS was set to obtain DNS from ISP.  Changed it back to 8.8.8.8 (Google).   Previously I had it set for DNS from Google.  I am assuming that when I replaced the modem, it defaulted to ISP and I didn't think to reset it.   That change should not hurt, but from pre - new modem history will not solve the issue.

Woody

Good to hear, Woody. I hope the troubleshooting session yields a lot of useful information for the engineers.

-Liz

Freshman

I feel for you I ave same isue and the speed tests will often report super high speeds (per agreement and open provisioning of those pipes by Hughesnet) even while video or downloads and internet usage are not happening at all or very slow: "Try watching a video in even 480 or trying to do Windows update or download or anything ..if I get a respose at all the speeds are 8-256kbps most always with short burst of 1-4Mbps once in a while:  Watching any video service is immpossible and at SD and 480 you get a few seconds of video and then bufer circle a 2 minute video takes 10 minutes on last video i took."

If I then attach to my cellphones hotspot then I have instant everthing: so hopefully theyt can reprovision you and get you back up for a while then - rinse and repeat.

Freshman

Unfortunately the internal hourly and other status tools in HughesNet 'systemcontrol' can, do  and "WILL" report all in the green while at that very moment you cannot connect at all or are getting extremely subpar 256kbps speeds. Obtain another connection a freinds hotspot or anything wihtout changing anything on your system hardware or software: the instant use of the internet and viable connection speeds will nullify the constant referal to "It is all good on our end" response. 

Distinguished Professor I

"report all in the green while at that very moment you cannot connect at all or are getting extremely subpar 256kbps speeds. "

When the dashboard is all green and you are having issues,  it means their side of the equation is working fine and that the signal from the satellite is getting to you fine.  If you experience low speeds and other issues  with a green dashboard, this means the issues are caused by something on your side of the equation, such as high traffic on the beam, or something related your home network, your devices, or your settings. 

If you would like speed or other tech issues addressed on this community, start a new thread under Tech Support, and be ready to provide evidence, such as speed tests from Testmy.net. 

If the system does not work for you and you have an ISP that works for you, it would make sense to cancel HughesNet and go with your other ISP. 

New Poster

I’m looking forward to your next post hamradio, as I’m having precisely the same issues you are. I’ve been on several long phone calls with HN tech support and actually just had another technician on site who left very frustrated and at a complete loss for what was causing the inconsistency and intermittent service you describe. He even resorted to replacing hardware (dish transmitter and modem) before leaving. Unfortunately, the changes to new hardware didn’t result in any improvements. Testmy.net is very inconsistent as well. The tech who was here last week doesn’t even use it - he prefers the Speedtest by Ookla. I’ve only been a HN subscriber for two weeks now, and plan to leave in the next two weeks if the service does not improve drastically. Good luck on your call - I think a lot of us are eagerly awaiting your feedback in hopes of a solution!
Junior

Hello Liz,

I just finished a session with engineering (Ellen).   They were very nice and seemed to have a number of staff on their end listening.   Unfortunately, for me the system was performing at that time as good as it ever has - at least from my perspective.   Web site loads were fast and there was no buffering on youtube videos.  In fact, the download bar was typically well ahead of the "playing" progress bar.  They said they detected some issues on their end while looking at the connections I made, but they did not elaborate...   The bottom line is that engineering did not come up with a diagnosis / fix and said the situation would need further evaluation.   Ellen (engineering) requested that I log issues including day, time, device, and internet source - then report this data to you so that it can be passsed back to them.  I mentioned the period on  12 Jan when it took two hours (including six download failures) to get two 25MB PDF files downloaded.   Sadly, their monitoring records did not reach back that far.   So, I will continue to monitor and record trouble periods and report to you with the information.  

If the system worked as well as it did during the engineering session it would be wonderful!   But, time will tell.  

Regards,

Woody

@Liz 

Hi Woody,

I appreciate this update, I will be looking forward to this information and will pass it along to engineering as requested. Thank you!

Thanks,

Liz