cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nearly unusable connection

New Poster

Re: Nearly unusable connection

I hope they pin point the issue, which more-and-more appears to be on their end. That being said, I just finished a up a phone call with a tier 4 HN tech. In summary, I’m having the exact same issues that hamradio is having: very good speed (though it varies) at one moment, then no service whatsoever. It’s not the speed I’m too concerned about, or even the variation in download speeds I’m seeing from running various speed tests (www.testmy.net seldom works BTW), but the complete loss (momentarily or not) of service or connection. Example: I know I’m losing Internet connectivity when I see my Wi-Fi security cameras LED light blinking. This is intended to show the homeowner that the camera has lost internet connection. After a few moments it returns to a solid LED, but then the cycle repeats like this continuously. Interestingly enough, the tech I spoke with admitted that there has been recent, and ongoing discussions at HN about possible software coding issues, at least with the station I’m affiliated with in NV. long story short, I’m supposed to hear an update from an engineer by the end of the week. Apparently, there have been enough similar complaints, at least with the beam and satellite I’m on, that it’s not being ignored (we’ll see). Given the hardware changes I’ve already had, HN does not suspect the issue is on my end. Finally - a possible path forward! I’ve only been dealing with this for a little over two weeks. I feel terrible for those of you who have been fighting this for months on end! I’ll let you know what hear later this week...
Junior

Ronkonguy,

Hope you can get the problem resolved.  Would be interesting to hear...

Woody

Junior

Liz,

A list of observations for the past few days follow.   Performance has not been good, so the list is long...

Unless otherwise stated, signal strength > 100

5 Feb 7:24 PM EST, Took 1 minute, 10 seconds to return this error (Multiple attempts, failures):
Secure Connection Failed
An error occurred during a connection to tvlistings.zap2it.com. PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR
Was able to connect OK using smartphone.
Addendum: tvlistings.zap2it.com still unreachable using Firefox or Chrome as of evening of 7 FEB, available on smartphone - strange.

5 Feb 7:38 PM Other sites loading, but slowly. 45 seconds to load; https://www.cvfcu.com/
...Just the login page.
Youtube videos taking a very long time to start, then some buffering while playing.

5 FEB 8:40 PM PC Time sync repeatedly "timed out while waiting for a response" - SNTP / NPT connection via Dimension 4 software At times the sync does not work. Not certain what is happening.
NPT Server: npt-2.vt.edu
Inability to time sync PC is causing malfunction on another application.

*** NOTE: For the following 4 entries on 6 FEB, signal strength may have dropped as low as 65 at times (some rain, clouds), mostly at 75 to 80.

6 FEB 12:23 PM Sending (SNTP/pop) email failed. Went through on second attempt.

6 FEB 12:30 PM Download of 2.5MB text file (from QRZ.com - https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.qrz.com/k/kz4ak/logbook/kz4ak.120776.20200206172651.adi) stalled. After several minutes, canceled download and restarted. The second try worked.
Other connections to qrz.com services very slow to respond, much of afternoon

6 FEB 1:04 PM Logging in to Paypal exceedingly slow, then timed out when trying to pay ("too long to respond"). A re-try worked, albeit very slowly.

6 FEB 1:18 PM Simple, short text email failed due to timeout.

7 FEB 8:30 PM Noticed many web sites loading very slowly. Ran testmy. It took about four minutes to run the 25MB test. Lots of hesitations (stops) in the test progress bar. Results: 1.1 Mbps.
Tried to run again. This time got warnings: Lost connection, trying to reconnect... I aborted the attempt.
https://testmy.net/quickstats/KZ4AK

8 FEB 11:10 AM Took over one minute to complete a 25MB download test. Indicated 3.87 Mbps and was loosing connection / reconnecting.

https://testmy.net/quickstats/KZ4AK

Is this enough, or should I continue to log?

Thanks, Woody

@Liz 

Tags (1)
Freshman

Woody - just chiming in on this again since your log could have been mine over the last few days.  I have given up to a large extent and am using my  Verizon phone since it is difficult to do anything using my internet connection.  Just wanted to make sure HughesNet understood this is not an issue isolated to your experience.

Good morning Woody,

Thank you for your updates! I've sent this over to engineering, and once I hear any further instruction or news from them, I'll let you know.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

Please create a new thread in the community if you have a question or need help. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Good morning Woody,

Thank you for your patience as our engineers reviewed your site logs. What they noticed was in general, the home network seems to have more packet drops which is rather unusual, this might be the reason for the performance issues. Perhaps you should try a different LAN cable to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks,

Liz

Please create a new thread in the community if you have a question or need help. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.
Junior

Liz,

Packet drops due to a 3' Ethernet cable seems strange, but I will try another cable to see what happens. Will use a different modem Ethernet port as well.

However, since my problem manifests itself not only on the hard wired PC, but two wifi connected PCs - and coupled with the symptoms of dropped connections and pauses in data transmission,  I think the issue is elsewhere.   My wife has an Ipad (wifi), but since I do not use it, cannot comment on the performance of that device.

Any additional updates on this situation will be greatly appreciated!

Woody - KZ4AK

Thanks Woody.

-Liz

Junior

Liz,

Before changing my Ethernet cable I ran well over 100 pings to the router.   Zero reported packet loss...

Is there a better way to check this?

Woody

Good morning Woody,

Engineering suggested this, so let me know how your performance fares after the LAN switch please.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz