Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nearly unusable connection

Highlighted
Junior

Re: Nearly unusable connection

Liz,

Since replacing the Ethernet cable, and using a different modem port, I cannot detect any difference.  Lately, performance has not been as terrible as the instances I reported eariler, but is still is not consistantly decent. 

Today, 19 Feb at 5PM EST,  testmy was reporting 26 to 64 Mbps and a ping to testmy averaged 632 ms.  Having said this, sites are slow to load and when running the speed test, there were multiple pauses in the progress.   Buffering of youtube videos is still common.  

As of 5:25 PM, performance has improved.  At this time no pausing of testmy speed check and no youtube buffering.   Seems that one can never tell when a slow down will occur....

Woody

Tags (1)
Highlighted
Junior

Now, at 8:45 PM EST, 19 Feb, performance is rather bad again. 

General observation:  All web sites very slow to load.

...To sign on here at HN - After entering credentials, it took > a minute to begin to start showing opening page loading.

...Testmy:  Many long pauses during download test, loosing connection / reconnecting, report was  3.1 Mbps !!

...Tried to download a thermostat manual and after a lot of very long stalls, the download failed.  Same thing on second attempt to download. 

Site: https://customer.resideo.com/resources/techlit/TechLitDocuments/33-00000s/33-00269ES.pdf

Wodoy

Highlighted

Thanks Woody, I've sent these updates to the engineers for their input.

I'll post back once I have any news to share.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Highlighted
Junior

Hello,

After about 3+ weeks I am back in town and (trying to) using HN.   During my absence, I was quite spoiled by my Xfinity connection.  What a world of difference - And it is not just latency.

Now that I have returned after more than 3 weeks, I find no improvement with the extremely slow throughput performance.   Slow loads, buffering when playing low res video, etc.   

Obviously it begs the question, will HN ever fix things?

Woody

@Liz 

Highlighted
Junior

Also, for the afore mentioned videos, getting the error: (inexact quote)  "You do not have sufficient bandwidth to play this video."

_W_

Highlighted

Hi Woody, welcome back.

If you missed it, we have an announcement and ongoing updates post regarding COVID-19 and its effect on the HughesNet service, so please keep this in mind. 

What are you having difficulty doing online? If it's a specific site/application you're running into problems, with please let me know which site/application and describe what's happening.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Highlighted
Freshman

Woody - sorry to but in on your thread !!

Liz - maybe you could just acknowledge that your service is not suitable for streaming or even basic internet browsing.  This is not due to Covid, it's not a weather issue, it's not a router issue, it's not a site issue - the satellite service CANNOT SUPPORT STREAMING.  Most of us would keep the service because we need email access, but for God's sake, just be honest about you can and cannot provide (and adjust billings accordingly)

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@ks5289 wrote:

Liz - maybe you could just acknowledge that your service is not suitable for streaming or even basic internet browsing.  This is not due to Covid, it's not a weather issue, it's not a router issue, it's not a site issue - the satellite service CANNOT SUPPORT STREAMING.   

My streaming, as well as my other activities on HughesNet for 15+ years, would suggest otherwise.  The instances of everyone else who streams and uses this service for "even basic internet browsing" would suggest otherwise, as well. 

So much for that claim.   

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor I

They have 1.4 milion customers. Please provide evidence that all 1.4 million have issues streaming.  

ks5289 wrote:

the satellite service CANNOT SUPPORT STREAMING.  Most of us would keep the service because we need email access, but for God's sake, just be honest about you can and cannot provide (and adjust billings accordingly)

Highlighted
Junior

Liz,

The situation is the same as it has been.  Sometimes performance is relatively OK.  Much of the time not.  It is not relegated to any particular site or task.  It can be worse during prime time hours, but not always.   Has HN simply sold more service than it's resources can provide?  I must say that I become really annoyed when I see the false promises made by it's TV ads...

Yes, I do have limited internet acccess, but nothing like the claims made.

Woody