cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Coax Cable Re-Routed from dish

New Poster

Need Coax Cable Re-Routed from dish

I need a new coax cable ran from the dish to a new manufactured home on the same property.

I would like the cable ran through the floor with outlet-jack faceplates installed in the sheetrock wall so the wiring is concealed.

Hughesnet voice and chat support tell me they don't know if they can (or will) do what I want and it will cost $125 for me to even discuss it with the installer. I'm not allowed to even talk to the guy unless I pay $125 and may tell me he either can't or won't do what I want and I'm out $125.

Since this is unacceptable to me, I guess I must do it myself.

Is there a special type of coax cable used and how is the ground wire(s) connected? Is it just a separate wire with one end simply buried in the ground?

6 REPLIES 6
Professor

Re: Need Coax Cable Re-Routed from dish

If there isn't a problem with the equipment, the $125 fee is required, as the techs need to make a living and don't go out to people's homes for free, regardless of how unacceptable you find this practice. 

Additionally, it's not recommended for the user to install stuff themselves, and if you do it anyway, you may void any protections or warranties and be in for even more expense.

I'm sure a Hughesnet moderator will respond to you here (they're around 9-5 M-F) and give you more information.  Please be patient as there may be other people ahead of you. 

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

New Poster

Thanks for the info but I own the router and am not afraid to do it myself if necessary, I just have to order the tools and want to ensure I'm running the proper wire. I would prefer they do it since they are experienced in this sort of thing so I will wait to see if a moderator replies as you suggest before buying anythiing. I'm just not paying $125 for someone to drive out here and tell me he wants to drill a hole in the side of my home and run a cable up the outside wall and across the floor. I don't want it like that.

Where I live, the professional (plumber, electrician, whatever) will come take a look at what you want done and if he has the tools and know-how, will quote a price to do it for you, all for free. Additionally, it is common practice to get three free-quotes before making a hiring decision. That policy, if you are correct about it, is unheard of where I live.

Meanwhile, Is this the wire I need for direct bury? and what about a ground wire? Anyone?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Southwire-100-ft-18-AWG-RG6-Quad-Shield-Black-Coax-Cable/50111504

Professor

Suit yourself. Good luck!

Highlighted

This is not a do it yourself job.. To many factors involved, I never use direct buriel.  Rodents love to chew it. I always put it in PVC.  The ground block has to be 3 ghz rated.  Then the issue of weather proofing ground block fittings. Then making sure it is properly ground. And more..  What I would do is look for your local Hughesnet dealer.. Call them.  See if they will come out..

Associate Professor

Agreed, your best bet is to contact a local Hughesnet dealer, or, another dealer familiar with satellite systems.  They would be the ones that could give you a quote for cable, and proper install.  However, it's not going to be cheap...

If you want professional work, expect a professional invoice.

New Poster

Thanks for all the input guys. I sincerely appreciate it.

I called again and they offered a $62.50 service call and if he can't or won't do what I need, I get that refunded.

Guess it don't get better so I agreed to that. He'll be out wednesday.

Thanks again!