Need to know if I was told is true about Video Data Saver

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Richearl
New Poster

Need to know if I was told is true about Video Data Saver

When I talked to the sales lady I explained what I would be using the internet for and what plan would she reccomend.
She said the 20 Gig would be just fine.
NO way was it good.. My data was gone in 2 days.
This is what I told her I would be doing.
Use Apple TV to watch Direct tv, Netflix for movies and series and I tunes. I explained all would be streaming and she said I would be ok as long as I or any grandkids didn't play x box or games. I am 80 years old and I have no grandkids and wouldn't play x y or z box.

I called to cancel and this is what I was told by a Rep (Sandie)

I would get a free upgrade to 30 megs and turn on Video Data Saver (480 Resolution) and I would be just fine and not use all my data.

Has anyone had this problem and if did the Video Data Saver really help?

Thank You

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

@Richearl , @Blue1048 

There are ways to find out where data goes -- one of them is to install the free Glasswire network monitor on all the computers connected to the modem, or to install a router that monitors all the connections and lists where data goes. 

To test for data leaks, please do the steps outlined here (the Hughesnet reps on the site may require this step before they will intervene):  https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Where-s-my-bytes-Testing-for-data-leaks/m-p/77194#M5...

As for what you were told, if the sales call is still available, the reps here can verify what the salesperson told you and what information you gave the sales person. Just request a sales call review. I believe sales calls are only available for 3 months. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Blue1048

My grandson used 30G in two days.  I was told ,like you, 30G would be more than enough for to of us.  I undertand the gaming usage but when they are no here I am usually out in a eek.  I have no idea where it goes.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

@Richearl , @Blue1048 

There are ways to find out where data goes -- one of them is to install the free Glasswire network monitor on all the computers connected to the modem, or to install a router that monitors all the connections and lists where data goes. 

To test for data leaks, please do the steps outlined here (the Hughesnet reps on the site may require this step before they will intervene):  https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Where-s-my-bytes-Testing-for-data-leaks/m-p/77194#M5...

As for what you were told, if the sales call is still available, the reps here can verify what the salesperson told you and what information you gave the sales person. Just request a sales call review. I believe sales calls are only available for 3 months. 

Thany you for the information.

"Has anyone had this problem and if did the Video Data Saver really help?"

I've never used it myself, I don't stream video, but I've seen posts here about it being useful.

Even at the lowest resolution you are going to use about 1 gig of data per hour of video.  IMO satellite internet is totally unsuitable for streaming video, but the sales people keep using streaming as a selling point.  This verges on fraud IMO.   Even if one had unlimited data you may run into buffering problems, because of the connection speed.

From what I've read here you can overcome some of these problems by using Play on Cloud, which allows you to stream a video to a cloud server, and then download it during the bonus period.  Then you can watch it as many times as you want with no buffering, 

If you have access to a cable ISP, that would be your best move.  Of course Hughes is probably going to threaten you with a early termination fee if you try to cancel.   Simple, refuse to pay it!   A friend of mine told them that he would send them back their equipment, but he was not going to pay them another cent, and they agreed.   He's 72 as I am, and like me, couldn't care less about his credit rating.