cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Needing Assistance with Data Management - have dared children to use internet!

Highlighted

Re: Needing Assistance with Data Management - have dared children to use internet!

Strangely enough, we do not Facebook. The other devices are set to not update without approval, and none of us has Windows 10 on the laptops - we have 2. Usually takes us about 15 days to burn through the 10. Should I downlaod the glassware program on all the devices and try to find the culprit?
Highlighted

Re: Needing Assistance with Data Management - have dared children to use internet!

The wifi router is connected to the two laptops and the phone devices, which generally only download email - as far as I know. No Netflix, Hulu, yabba dabba doo or the like.
Highlighted
Junior

Yes, each device must be individually investigated.
First each device should be checked and cleared of malware.
Wifi should be secured as well as the router's default administration.
Although long, let me recommend that you follow Gwalk's advice and use this (his post) as an outline.
https://community.myhughesnet.com/hug...

Don  Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Junior

Tim, it's REALLY hard to use that much data in such a short period of time, so something's really wrong!

The shortest route I might suggest would be to:
1. reboot the router.
2. connect ONLY 1 device at a time, (turn all others off) and use the single device only for 1 day each.
Note the data allowance starting and ending each day.

Unless you have a "bug" which has infected more than a single device, this will narrow down and find "the culprit".

DON'T FORGET to SECURE the router first!!!
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

On a 10 GB Anytime plan you have about 330 MB per day to stay in monthly allowance. Not really that much depending what is being done. Be sure ad blockers are installed on all browsers.
Highlighted
New Poster

You mentioned phone devices, what devices and how many?
Highlighted
Junior

Info is still applicable! (but I posted to the wrong user, who had burnt thru 50Gig)
Process STILL is the same, except for the comment "that much data".
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Yep, they have a tendency to use data without the user knowing. No syncing on phones or computers enabled.
Highlighted

This may be a stupid question, but are you speaking (with respect to the router) that it be secured, in the sense that it needs a password to access? If so, it has been a secured router from day one. Even the "Guest" thingie on it requires a password. Apart from that, I don't have any neighbors who live close enough to tap into it - unless they are doing it from the road or something as they drive by. I did scroll through that rather long and extremely informative posting by GWalk (and i will be putting those suggestions to use shortly when the allowance resets). I just want to find out the why, the what and what I need to do to manage it so I don't get in the throttled situation.
Highlighted

McCool, we each have a LG G3 where the update is disabled unless approved. Each of us only does an update when at work or at school (where we can use free wifi). They do, however, download email automatically. No program or app updates unless we do it manually.