Net neutrality

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IloveWifi
New Poster

Net neutrality

Will removing net neutrality effect/ affect HughesNet customers, if so, how ?
6 REPLIES 6
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Probably not directly from HughesNet but will most likely result in higher monthly subscribtion prices from  places like Netflix, Amazon and Hulu. Sadly, the Internet will probably turn into channel subscriptions/packages like cable and satellite TV.

Was nice while it lasted.

@BirdDog wrote:

Probably not directly from HughesNet but will most likely result in higher monthly subscribtion prices from  places like Netflix, Amazon and Hulu. Sadly, the Internet will probably turn into channel subscriptions/packages like cable and satellite TV.

Was nice while it lasted.

May make it a good time to go back to what really matters, friends, family, and if these places start to nickel and dime us, we just stop buying.  They will smarten up hopefully.  Just look what TMobile is doing to the marketplace.  Shake things up enough and make the big boys like AT&T and Verizon start losing a bit too much, maybe they will smarten up.  Then again, look at the whole polictal scene these last couple years... maybe that will not work either <grin>.

I already cut the cord with Dish or DirecTV as I had those in the past.  I am antenna even though it is painful since I am 65 miles away up in the mountains so with digital signal, it comes and goes.  Can't rely on stations but we deal with it.  Always seems to go out right at the scenes we wanted to see. haha.

Hopefully we don't get nickel and dimmed or in the end, we and they will suffer.

TJ

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@macsociety wrote:

Always seems to go out right at the scenes we wanted to see. haha.

Just like DirecTV.  😛  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Trust me, the only ones who will benefit from doing away with it is the big boys, sure ain't going to be us small chickens. The money flows up from the bottom. We're the bottom.

@BirdDog wrote:

Trust me, the only ones who will benefit from doing away with it is the big boys, sure ain't going to be us small chickens. The money flows up from the bottom. We're the bottom.

The only time gravity appears to fail us....  😉

TJ

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Even before the Net Neutrality law came into affect HughesNet wasn't one to selectively throttle or block any web pages or anything like that, so I don't believe anything will change with HughesNet itself.  But, as BirdDog indicated, it may be a different story when it comes to some of the services you may use HughesNet for.  Time will tell. 

There's a special place for Ajit Pai, though I can't say it on here.  😛