Hughesnet Community

Netflicks says download speed is under 1Mbps, Hughesnet speed test says 30.26Mbps

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jan48
Freshman

Netflicks says download speed is under 1Mbps, Hughesnet speed test says 30.26Mbps

New installation has never worked without frequent buffering and poor reception on Amazon Prime, Youtube TV and Netflicks. Lots of buffering on Youtube/Safari on our desktop, too. Calls to tech support have promised "escalated" status and contact by engineers, but no response after 5 days. Surely this is not the new customer experiece HughesNet wants.

15 REPLIES 15
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

How are you getting the speed from Netflix?

To have speed issues addressed in this community, first you will need to follow the procedure detailed here: https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607

@maratsade wrote:

How are you getting the speed from Netflix?

To have speed issues addressed in this community, first you will need to follow the procedure detailed here: https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607

Netflix does post average speed during peak hours by ISP.  They stopped updating it in March due to the pandemic, but you can go back several years and see the data.  To see HughesNet, you'll have to click the "Show Smaller ISPs" button which isn't intuitive.

If you're looking for an explanation of the discrepancy:

Because of the choppy way that streaming servers operate, latency will affect overall throughput because of the delay in acknowledged received packets. Some of these services ultimately interpret that as overall speed and can be significantly lower, depending upon the number of times per minute the service needs to acknowledge receipts.

As mentioned, this is tremendously different that downloading a single file, where there may be only one initial latency delay and acceleration techniques can be used to transmit it faster through the pipe.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Latency isn't your friend for sure, but I know for me, downloading a video file from Netflix is just as slow and honestly, I've never even been able to get one to finish.  The primary factor, is almost certainly the combination of congestion and prioritization.

GabeU

@Michael57 wrote:

Latency isn't your friend for sure, but I know for me, downloading a video file from Netflix is just as slow and honestly, I've never even been able to get one to finish.  The primary factor, is almost certainly the combination of congestion and prioritization.

You ought to try PlayOn Cloud.  Granted, like other downloads you'd probably have your best luck scheduling them for late night/early morning, but you can do so with the PlayOn Cloud app.  

For me, the best times for sizable downloads seem to be between ~3:00AM and ~6:00AM EST. 

Yeah that's a really good solution/recommendation for folks.  I actually bought a lifetime license to PlayOn desktop and Plex years ago.  However, 90% of the time I'm on broadband, so I can record whenever and pre-download for Netflix/Amazon Prime.  For folks always on satelite that PlayOn Cloud is a really nice workaround.

GabeU

@Jan48 

Unfortunately, the system is extremely taxed right now due to so many more people than normal being online and, ironically, many of them trying to stream.  This is causing considerable congestion that, when coupled with the high latency inherent to satellite internet, can result in issues with streaming.  That you're experiencing buffering isn't all that surprising.  It also tends to be worst in the evenings, when system usage it at its highest.  

A couple of things you can try are reducing the resolution of the stream, either at the source or locally via the app/program you're using, and turning off, or snoozing, the Video Data Saver.

OK, the tests are done at testmy.net under user Jan48.

maratsade

This is the URL you need to post: https://testmy.net/quickstats/jan48

Also, you will need to run tests at different times of the day on different dates, as what you have right now is not enough. 

Save for two of the tests, the others are perfectly fine for streaming, which means you're encountering network and internet congestion, and this may not be fixable.  In any case, please run more tests. 

Jan48 wrote:

OK, the tests are done at testmy.net under user Jan48.

You asked earlier how we got the Netflicks connection speed info. Open Netflicks/Get Help/Check your network/ runs connection tests of Scooection Speed. I just tried this to compare our old tower-based internet and the new HughesNet connections. The old service gave 4.93 Mbps, then switched networks and HughesNet got 0.745 Mbps.

We'll do more testmy.net tests tomorrow to finish the 3 days of tests that you requested.

I think you can also run speed tests using Fast.com which is hosted by Netflix and seems to be subject to the same prioritization rules as Netflix.  At least, a few weeks ago when I was testing it on HughesNet I bascially got the same speed as on Netflix, while most other speed tests were showing much faster speeds.

maratsade

That may activate the Video Data Saver, but I'm not sure. 

My last post could be taken out of context...So to clarify, I'm not saying to use Fast.com for support here, follow the instructions you were given.  Just in general if you want to see the speeds you get from Netflix, Fast.com seems to be a good proxy.

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

That may activate the Video Data Saver, but I'm not sure. 

It does.  

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/An-Example-of-the-Video-Data-Saver-at-work/td-p/8226...

Good morning Jan48,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!