Netflix

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chicoc3
New Poster

Netflix

Three months ago Hughes Net forced me to take their Gen5 service. My Gen4 was slow by good. NOW, with Gen5, which is costing me $50 more a month, is the SAME speed as Gen4 and my Netflix will not download!!!! I have called 3 times for support. The last time I called, Monday, I was on the phone for 1 hour and 37 minutes. Netflix still not loading!!!! I want my Gen4 back. 

9 REPLIES 9
MarkJFine
Professor

@chicoc3 wrote:

Three months ago Hughes Net forced me to take their Gen5 service.

They literally tied you up and made you do it? Threatented your family?

Gimme a break with the hyperbole. No one forced you to do anything.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Sir, thanks for your quick non-helpful response. 

@chicoc3 wrote:

Sir, thanks for your quick non-helpful response. 

Thank you for such an undignified and unsubstantiated complaint.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Good morning chicoc3,

Thanks for posting, we can certainly help address your streaming concerns. I first ran diagnostics on your site to ensure the HughesNet equipment is working, and all looks well. I do see you have 8 devices connected to your wifi network. So keep this in mind when the iPad, iPad mini, and/or iPhone are trying to stream Netflix, especially all at once. 

My diagnostics show we're currently delivering 24 Mbps in download speeds to your HughesNet modem, but beyond that, the bandwidth is shared amongst all connected devices. Here's an illustration to show what I mean:

Source video: http://support.hughesnet.com/faq/internet/how-does-a-satellite-internet-connection-work

Make sure there aren't any devices connected to the internet that don't need to be if you're trying to stream. 

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Good morning chicoc3,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. I hope the information provided helped provide insight into your experience. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

@MarkJFine wrote:

@chicoc3 wrote:

Three months ago Hughes Net forced me to take their Gen5 service.

They literally tied you up and made you do it? Threatented your family?

Gimme a break with the hyperbole. No one forced you to do anything.

Of course no representative of the great god Hughes would ever tell a little white lie or coerce a customer.  Actually, I've seen cases where the salesmen for both Hughes and Viasat engaged in sales techniques verging on outright fraud  IMO.

"Does history record any case in which the majority was right?"
Lazarus Long

@chicoc3 wrote:

Three months ago Hughes Net forced me to take their Gen5 service. My Gen4 was slow by good. NOW, with Gen5, which is costing me $50 more a month, is the SAME speed as Gen4 and my Netflix will not download!!!! I have called 3 times for support. The last time I called, Monday, I was on the phone for 1 hour and 37 minutes. Netflix still not loading!!!! I want my Gen4 back. 

Forced?  Or do you mean they talked you in to upgrading?

That's an interesting question:  Is it possible to go back to an earlier version?  I personally have never heard of it happening.

"SALESMAN n. A certain kind of liar, whose lies are often by exaggeration or omission."
The New Devils Dictionary ( With apologies to Ambrose Bierce )

@gaines_wright wrote:

That's an interesting question:  Is it possible to go back to an earlier version?  I personally have never heard of it happening.

"SALESMAN n. A certain kind of liar, whose lies are often by exaggeration or omission."
The New Devils Dictionary ( With apologies to Ambrose Bierce )

They are not allowing people to go back to Gen4. However, they are allowing some to go from the Ecostar-19 back to 17 provided there is an overlap of coverage and the particular 19 beam is over-congested.

My particular issues with the complaint are:
1. No one forced the person to upgrade. They were given an opportunity to do so and made a decision. They now regret their decision and are looking for someone to blame instead of trying to fix the problem. If they would like the sales call reviewed they can do so pending a review by one of the admins here.
2. Making matters worse, they likely signed up for a data plan that was a lot more than they originally had. Gen5's plans are really not that much more than Gen4.
3. Problems with Netflix (or any streaming) has nothing to do with speed. They have everything to do with latency. The user is likely trying to stream at periods when congestion is highest, or is choosing streams that are in HD and put extreme demands on the network. If this is not the case, there is likely another, much more addressable problem.

Bottom line this site is full of people who complain when their streaming is not what they expected and a simple search would have provided a majority of thoese solutions.

Had the person given more details or documented the problem instead of blasting off with hyperbolic social-media-like claims they would have gotten a more substantial and helpful reposnse from myself or anyone else that monitors this customer-driven site - perhaps even led the person to one of those solutions that are literally found all over the site.

MrBuster
Senior

This thread may have gone a bit off track. You mentioned Netflix is not loading -- does the following describe the situation?

1. Using Windows 10
2. Running Netflex from the Windows Netflex 'App' (The icon with the red 'N')
3. The Netflix app opens to a mostly blank window and just sits there

If the answer to the above three questions is 'yes', then the issue is likely not related to HughesNet. I say this because:
1. This is an often encountered issue with the Windows 10 Netflix app -- regardless of ISP
2. The issue happens even when opening Netflix 'offline' to view previously downloaded content which would rule out ISP

The fix seems to be:
1. Run all updates to Windows 10
2. Download the newest Netflix patch
3. Open the Netflix app and let it sit for a while

I have seen this issue a few times, and my niece said the above process gets it going again.

So why does this happen? I don't know, but the most insightful comment I have seen is that it is related to the Microsoft Cryptographic services. Netflix keeps a tight lid on the encryption and slight changes (hardware, system date, or the phase of the moon for all I know) seem to be enough that it gets off and keeps trying keys out of sequence which was intentionally designed to take a lot of time.

I hope this is helpful....