cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network time a year and a half off, and modem resetting many times aday

Sophomore

Re: Network time a year and a half off, and modem resetting many times aday

Thanks Damian...  The modem went 'down' last night at 2AM mountain time, and just now came back up ten minutes ago at 1745 local time.

Interesting you mention weather...  Because my weather here has been fine for the duration of the problem so far...  It has only clouded up HERE since this morning, and just started snowing here two hours ago..  My signal strength is down to 76 at the moment...  Yet, it has been in the range of 82-85 every time I have been able to connect to the modem's advanced control center page.  So perhaps you meant bad weather at your NOC, or wherever my downlink is???

I do have the 2 watt transmitter, and have only lost connections during bad storms maybe eight times in the ~ 10 + years I have  been a Hughes customer. at least once I sweep the snow off the dish.

I ordered the replacement modem from a guy selling through Amazon, that one of the community members mentioned a couple of months ago  on my thread when I was having another problem.  What a good deal that was. (Assuming I actually get it)..  I had to replace my modem and power supply  a few years ago thanks to a power surge, and this one cost  1/10th of the replacement I bought from Montana Satellite back then.

I'm hoping the new equipment will be here on Tuesday, the next time I will go to town (weather permitting), and  if the problem persists, as I assume it will, I'll replace the power supply the first thing, to rule that out as a problem.  Hopefully I can avoid coommissioning a new modem...  I forgot how to do that, although I suppose if it comes to that, you can tell me.

Well Happy Thanksgiving to all

Sophomore

@GabeU wrote:

.> ...still have the modem, though it sits on a closet shelf collecting dust.  Smiley Tongue

Heh.  Well if the modem coming from the Amazon seller turns out to not be what it is supposed to be, maybe you'll sell me your old one!

I'd upgrade to  the newer system, but I'm in a situation where it HAS to be a self-install.

Well, have a good Thanksgiving, and I am giving thanks for your help!

Distinguished Professor IV

@Silviron wrote: 

Heh.  Well if the modem coming from the Amazon seller turns out to not be what it is supposed to be, maybe you'll sell me your old one! 

If that ends up being the case I'll just give you this one.  It doesn't have the base/stand, as that was used with the HT1100 modem they gave me when I upgraded to Gen4, and the techs took that modem and base/stand when they upgraded me to Gen5, but the one you have would fit it, as all HN7000S modems use the same one.    

I don't know how it works with transferring a used and decommissioned modem to another person, but if comes to that I'm sure one of the reps could check the numbers on mine to make sure it would be able to be commissioned on your end.

Happy Thanksgiving!  Smiley Happy  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sophomore

Well, I thought that I had the problem solved, and maybe it is, but suddenly I'm not so sure...

I got kind of frustrated Thursday night and decided to examine the power supply in more depth;  With longer testing than previous, I discovered that the 6.5 V on pin #2 was intermittent. Pin #1 was steady, and both of the 19.5V lines were steady.   Stripped open the cable outer sheath a few inches before the connector and tested the lines, and the white wire that carries the 6.5V to both pins (via a jumper in the connector) was steady.  So I thought maybe there was an intermittent short or open inside the connector, so I opened it up.

What a horrible job of soldering in there!  Must have been a first day trainee at the manufacturer that assembled that connector, and the QC person on a lunch break when it was completed.

Now, I know just enough about electronics to be dangerous, but after  removing the connector from the power supply  completely and wiring the lines direct to the connector on the modem, I decided that the "Power Good" (Sen3) (green wire) circuit was  'wonky', somewhere.

I finally found  the old modem and power supply that I had to replace a few years ago, and despite me thinking that the old power supply was bad, I plugged it in and after a few minutes, the Modem was on and working perfectly. 

I didn't want to  'jinx' it by reporting here that it was working, so I decided to give it 24 hours to remain stable before commenting....  well, it made it 23 hours and 10 minutes of constant good operation, when it reset itself again.  Was down for about a minute, came back up, then went down again about five minutes later.  Now has been up for 1 hour 28 minutes OK.

Is pretty windy here (but clear skies), so I'm hoping that the two recent resets were due to the dish being pushed off alignment  just long enough to lose contact with the satellite.  But  only time will tell if it was that or the old problems continuing,  despite the long period of working correctly.

Anyway, I'm glad I found the old power supply, and that it  worked, at least temporarily, because the Modem and power supply I ordered from the Amazon shop hasn't actually been shipped yet.  I got the tracking number a week ago, but the carrier says it has not received it yet.    I'll give that a few more days, , maybe it is just a holiday glitch somewhere, but if it isn't here, or for sure on the way, I'll have to file a complaint with Amazon  (It isn't sold & Shipped by Amazon itself, but by a private person who has a storefront there)

Professor

I hope your solution holds! You've had enough frustration for a while. 

Sophomore

Thanks!, Marat.

Distinguished Professor IV

@Silviron 

Great catch!  I hope that this was the issue and it'll continue to work the way it should, knock on wood.  Smiley Happy

My folks had a router that started to have problems with its WiFi, seemingly being intermittent, or at least weak.  It was replaced, but I kept the old one on the off chance that I could figure out what was wrong with it.  When I connected it at my house it was having the same issue.  I tried changing settings and such, but to no avail, so I took it apart.  It turns out that the solder job on a wire going to one of the antennas (there are three) was barely holding on, and all I had to do to break it free was touch it.  I soldered it back on and now it's back to working as it should.  No weakness or dropouts.  I only keep it as a backup for them as I have Gen5, which has built in WiFi, and I have my own router if I ever need to use one again.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sophomore

Gabe, A big part of it is those stinking European RoHS laws that don't allow stuff to be sold in Europe if the manufacturer uses a decent solder.  So  they all switched to lead free solder, that melts at a much higher temperature than good  lead/tin 60/40 or 63/37 solder, requires more skill to use, and even then, it doesn't hold or flow very well, (Plus it makes repairs that much harder, because  the good solder doesn't like to adhere with the lead free solder residue.)

...................................................................................

Well, other than those two short blips of a minute each, (that MIGHT have been wind related), my system has been up for 32 hours.  Keeping fingers crossed.