Network upload slow, latency very high, bandwidth allotment goes quickly

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wildman
Freshman

Network upload slow, latency very high, bandwidth allotment goes quickly

When I work from home, all my work apps have very, very slow response times.  In addition, I find that I use up my 20GB of data in 2-3 days and have to buy tokens.  It cost me something like $250 to work from this location for three weeks in May.  

When I test hte latency, the average seems to be somewhere around 1000MS+, which most of the speedtest sites rate as horrible.  My suspicion is that the high latency is causing a lot of retransmissions for the work apps and eating up all the bandwidth.  

In any case, I cannot afford $250 a month to work from this location.  Previously I would try to work at offsite locations (e.g. Starbucks in town) or use my Verizon phone as a hotspot (also pretty miserable). 

I'm trying to run the speedtests, but I keep getting redirected to a page trying to get me to install a new browser, which seems like BS.  i need to go out now, will try again later. 

8 REPLIES 8
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

When you have the time, run the speed tests using the procedure detailed here: 

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607
For more information on running these tests, check this page: https://support.hughesnet.com/en/faq/internet/how-check-your-speed-performance

The procedure is required to start a speed issues ticket on this site.  A HughesNet rep on this site may also post and ask you some more troubleshooting questions. 

Latency on satellite is high, starting in the 500s. Other things outside of HughesNet's control can also impact the latency you experience.  To measure latency, you may want to use ping or traceroute. 

*edited for spelling.

I ran the test a few times.  Download speeds seemed fine, upload low, and latency was horrible (averaging 1.5s).

I travel a lot, have not had a chance to do it connecting directly to the Hughesnet modem (no wifi) as my laptop does not have an Ethernet connection.  My phone does not have an Ethernet connection either.  

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Are you saying you don't have wifi available at the modem's location, and no way to connect to it via an ethernet cable?  

The most the reps (both here and through phone or chat) can do is check their side of the equation by connecting to the modem remotely -- often they find that the system is working properly and delivering good speeds to the modem. Speed issues tend to be on the user's side, not HughesNet's side, which is why running tests from your side and using the required testing facility and file sizes is crucial for the techs to determine what the issue may be. 

The procedure I was told I had to use says this:

"do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (wifi must be disabled*, NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used for testing)"

To me, that is saying find a PC with an actual ethernet adapter, turn off wifi, attach it to the Hughesnet Modem with a cable.  That's tough for me. 

Hi Wildman,

That's understandable, I know not everyone has the means to direct connect a device to the modem. That just provides the best way to troubleshoot speeds as it rules out any wifi interference/other devices etc. So in this case it's fine to run speed tests on a wifi device. I would just ensure that no other device is connected to any of your wifi networks to best isolate the device running tests.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Ok, I am traveling now, but I had run the tests from my laptop on wifi previously, about 6 inches from the Hughes Modem.  Let me check the procedure later and see if I can upload those according to the process suggested (e.g. download etc.)

Hi Wildman,

It's been almost a month since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Good morning Wildman,

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting. I checked on your system and it is functioning normally. The only red flag I see is for a device with a fair connection to the wifi network.

Right now I see an Android device connected to the 5 GHz network that only has a fair connection. My first suggestion would be to move it closer to the modem as the 5GHz network, while stronger, has a smaller range than the 2.4 GHz network.

-Liz