cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chrisjeanette
Sophomore

New Customer Constant Buffering, Very Slow Speeds

Hello,

I have been a customer since 19 August 2017, 9 days.  I have been experiencing extremely slow speeds for the past week.  At first my speed tests were showing around 45mbps download after install.  Now I get speeds anywhere from .36 to 7.85.  I have attached several speed test from hughesnet and from testmy.net.  Technical Support says they have escalated my case and an engineer will call me within 2 to 3 business days.  I called Tech Support on Saturday to work this issue.  I really hope they can fix my issue seeing that I currently cannot stream any videos without constant buffering.  This is extremely frustrating since I spent hours researching this service and seeing that the Gen 5 was performing well.  Any resolution would be great.  I am trying to be as patient as I can.  Testmy 27-28 August 2017Testmy 27-28 August 20171st Hughes test 28 Aug 171st Hughes test 28 Aug 171st Testmy.net Test 28 Aug 171st Testmy.net Test 28 Aug 172nd Hughes test 28 Aug 172nd Hughes test 28 Aug 172nd Testmy.net Test 28 Aug 172nd Testmy.net Test 28 Aug 173rd Hughes test 28 Aug 173rd Hughes test 28 Aug 173rd Testmy.net Test 28 Aug 173rd Testmy.net Test 28 Aug 17

25 REPLIES 25
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@chrisjeanette

Sorry you're having such issues.   Hopefully the engineer that contacts you will be able to help.  

Normally there is a process on here, including certain speed tests, to get the ball rolling, but since you are already in the process of receiving help and will be contacted by an engineer, I'll refrain from posting the procedure.  

With that said, just in case you need to use this avenue to receive help in the future with your speeds, if you decide to run more speed tests, for whatever reason, make sure when testing your speeds at testmy.net that you use the manual 25MB size for download tests and the 4MB size for upload tests.  It would also be beneficial for you to create an account at testmy.net and run the tests under that account from this point forward if you decide to run more tests, again, for whatever reason.  If you do need to use this avenue for help, this will enable the reps to be able to see your test results in a single location, and your Results URL will provide that ability.   

But, again, I hope the engineers are able to help you get your speeds up to par.  

Created an account on Testmy.net.  Results are below for manual 25mb down and 4mb upload.

4mb Manual Upload Testmy.net 28 Aug 174mb Manual Upload Testmy.net 28 Aug 1725mb Manual Testmy.net 28 Aug 1725mb Manual Testmy.net 28 Aug 17

GabeU

@chrisjeanette

That will definitely help the reps on here in the event that you don't have luck with the engineer, but I hope that you do.

One thing I forgot to mention, but, again, I'm not requesting that you run any tests because you're already being helped.  But, if you do, or you don't have luck and you need help here, it's requested that when you run tests you run them on a single device that is directly connected to the modem with a LAN cable.  They request this because WiFi in itself can cause speed problems, and running the tests on a LAN connected device can help to determine if that is the case, plus give the most base speed you are getting.  But, again, I'm not asking, nor recommending, that you run any speed tests due to already being helped.  I don't want to interfere with the help already in progress.     

Again, I really hope that the engineer can help you.  They often can.  Sometimes they can do little tweaks and such that can get your speed up.   

This is the link to your results....

http://testmy.net/quickstats/chrisjeanette

BTW, this is just for your own info.  The following does affect the help you are receiving now, nor in the future.  When YOU look at your test results from that link you may see some results from tests that weren't run by you.  Because HughesNet uses shared IPs it's actually quite common.  If you want to get rid of them so that you only see the results that YOU ran, you can go to the bottom left of the results table and click on the thing that says something like "Exclude test results taken on your connection ID that were not run by you", or something like that.  When WE look in the results from that link WE only see the tests run by you, but YOU may see other ones.  It's just a somewhat annoying feature of testmy.net.  Again, this is only for YOUR OWN info.  It doesn't affect anything having to do with your speeds or the help you are receiving for it.  

Changed my DNS Primary and Alternate to the Open DNS Servers.  This has increased my speed quite a bit.  For anyone interested see IPs below:

Primary:  208.67.222.222

Alternate:  208.67.220.220

I still need to work with an engineer to ensure everything is good but this seemed to help out.

All of these test are in the morning.  I seem to have all of my issues at night.  I will do more tests tonight.

You can see on my test I made the Open DNS server change at Mon Aug 28 2017 @ 10:03:55 pm.  My speed jumped quite a bit.  Hope this helps someone out.

Still getting horrible speeds.  The Open DNS servers seemed to work for a bit but now back to slow speeds and constant buffering.  My last 3 upload and download checks below were from direct connection (Cat 6 plugged directly from modem to laptop).  Previous 3 to that was wireless.  I am supposed to recieve a phone call from the escalated department within 2 business days.  Still waiting on a phone call.  Speeds below:

Ran more speed test this morning (4:55am central).  Looks like my speeds are good during the day and in the evening slow way down.  I will keep running test at different times of the day.  Hopefully this problem will be fixed soon.  See results below:

Good morning chrisjeanette,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting and running speed tests. This helps a lot, so I'll run some diagnostics on your site to make sure there isn't anything wonky with the equipment, and if all is clear, I'll escalate your case to the engineers. I'll post back once I have an update or questions.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Thank you Liz.  Ran more speed tests last night and this morning.  Same thing, last night speeds were extremeley slow, constatnt buffering.  This morning they are great.  Hope we can figure this out.  See link below:

Good morning chrisjeanette,

Thank you for this update. I've already escalated your case to the engineers yesterday. I'll post back once I have any news to share. We won't need any more speed tests for now.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Liz,

Just letting you know I am still recieving constant buffering in the evenings.  Any word yet on the engineers?

thanks for any help

I really hope we can resolve this. I have been researching this and came across the same exact issue that I am having in the post below. Did not see a resolution on this post. Speeds are good during day and at night they come to a screeching halt. No buffering during the day but at night it is unusable.

community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Slow-internet-at-night/td-p/16447/page/11
GabeU

@chrisjeanette

The listed thread concerned customers on a different satellite and service than what you have, and, though similar, the cause, whatever it was, may not be the same.  

Because of the holiday weekend, the earliest you may hear back from Liz will be Tuesday.  The reps or normally on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM EST, but, again, because of the holiday, the reps will not be in on Monday.  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Has to be a beam/gateway thing as on Gen 4 I can stream 99% of time. I never do HD though.

Capture.JPG

Update 6 September 2017

I have been working with level 2 tech support for the past week.  In the evening I am still getting horrible speeds.  They pushed some configurations out to my modem which did not fix the issue.  My link below shows my latest speed results.  Tier 2 tech support has now elevated my ticket to the engineers.  Today is wednesday and they said they should here back from the engineer by friday.  If not they gave me a pin to call in next week and check the status.  I have had the service since 19 August and so far no resolution.  We will see if the engineers can fix this.  Still cant stream anything at night say from 7:00pm central on.  Test results below:

Thanks for the update, chrisjeanette.

Regarding the buffering, are you trying to stream in HD? If you set the video to SD, does the buffering persist?

I, too, am a new customer as of 8/30.  Called in the first day due to poor performance, but was told I needed to wait for 24 hours for everything to sync up.  Called back a few days later as the performance actually got worse.  Download speeds as low as .426 Mbps; upload speeds were as low as 0.02 Mbps (no, these are not typos).  I could not be more disappointed in my new 2-year service agreement, but anxiously await my 3-5 business day callback from Advanced Support.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@Laurie0424

You might want to start your own topic for assistance...

@Laurie0424 wrote:

I cannot access advanced settings on the router/modem combo I was issued two and half months ago with new service, HT2000W as certain features are locked down on the control panel, such as port triggering. 

To access the "advanced settings" you will need to click on the little "i" icon at the top of your system control center, it's just to the right where the language selection is.  The advanced settings is locked out if you are attempting to access the unit while connected to the Guest Wifi network.

@Laurie0424 wrote:

Again, this is a modem/router combo, doesn't matter if you have a third party router attached to it, the port triggering is managed by this HT2000W and there is no option to use my own modem in its place.   

Port Triggering, and Port Mapping (Forwarding) aren't exactly locked down, but they are useless features on residential accounts, you are behind CGN (Carrier Grade NAT), so you don't have a public facing IPv4 address.  You can use your own router if you choose to, however, that adds another layer of NAT.  You can't use your own modem, as there are no third party companies that produce modems that will work with satellite communications, it's a highly proprietary system.

@Laurie0424 wrote:

I have asked and asked and asked to talk to third level support as I do not think my request for port triggering to at least help with this issue is unreasonable and I would do it myself if it was able to be done on the control interface for this modem/router.   

Port Triggering is not available for anyone as of right now, and probably wont be for some time to come, you can change the settings, and they will stick, but because of CGN, they won't work.

@Laurie0424 wrote:

My thoughts are that like airlines, they overbooked the amount of customers that this satilite can handle with the data they sold.  So some of us get put on stand by and wait for our turn to get on with resonable speeds. 

Echostar-19 is a brand new bird, none of the beams are oversold and wont be for some time to come, there are other factors that may be present, no single customer has an identicle issue, even though it appears as if they do.

can't delete..but will no longer post here.