cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Customer as of April. Constant video buffering.

Re: New Customer as of April. Constant video buffering.

Yes, the overage was the result of an Office download as I mentioned.  Not the video streaming.  I'm more concerned about the constant buffering that occurs when trying to watch videos from Amazon Prime.

Chris,

I will try to get some screen shots and all this weekend.  My usage does not reset until tomorrow.

Thanks,

Myriah

I did some research.  I'm in a very rural area which is why I thought the move to Hughesnet would be better.  And HughesNet advertising the quality and speed.  I read several reviews on it as well.  Unfortunately, you can't access this community forum until your a customer so you don't see all of the streaming issues people have.  I'm not sure about the HD on the Smart TV for Amazon.  I haven't found how to determine if it's HD or SD and where to set it.  Nothing through the Amazon app allows me to choose that.  Now watching through DirectTV is HD, but that's through them. 
Distinguished Professor IV

"Amazing  speeds" isn't an exact amount.  For someone who lost cable and switched to Hughesnet, that moniker probably won't fit.  Yet for someone coming from dialup, it certainly would.  That's normally who Hughesnet customers are...former dialup users who just got tired of it and cannot get a land based (or even cell type) service. 

From what I've read, Amazon Prime requires a speed of 3.5Mbps for HD, and 1.5Mbps for SD.  For many, during the evening peak usage hours, the 3.5Mbps speed requirement can be hard to meet.  Occasionally even the 1.5Mbps speed requirement can be difficult to meet.  Hughesnet has a finite amount of throughput that is more restricted than a land based ISP, and when many people get on at a certain time, everybody's speed slows.

For some it may work, and for others not so much.  It all depends on how many people are online on a beam, on a gateway and on in total, and what they are doing.     

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

As an FYI - we experienced buffering issues when we had DSL as well.  What's funny is the HughesNet guy that did my install told me we didn't need to worry about competing usage by neighbors.  That our line is exclusive to us.  Anyway, I guess we just have to live with the issue.
Highlighted

We have had this service for a year and a half and it is HORRIBLE! The constant buffering is so annoying and aggravating. We too switched because we are in a rural area and HUGHESNET bosts how great they are. We did the research or so we thought. My job allows me to work from home and I never do because of the internet speed. We have not and never will recommend HUGHESNET to anyone. We are done as soon as contract is up! Counting down the days.

Hello krjilson,

We recommend creating a new post for yourself (not in one already made) along with a case number or the serial number of your modem. This will allow us to help both you and the original poster of this thread get better assistance.

Thank you
Amanda
Distinguished Professor IV

Your "line" IS exclusive to you, however, your beam is not.  With that said, your neighbors' usage will barely affect yours.  The numerous people on your beam (and gateway (and the entire system)), in addition to your neighbors, on the other hand, will.  Your installer could have explained it a little more thoroughly. 

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit