cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Customer - cannot download any video

Highlighted
Freshman

New Customer - cannot download any video

I've had my service for two weeks.  I was warned it would be slow.  Fine.  I can get basic Internet searches, but when I attempt to download anything from Netflix or Amazon, it just hangs up and fails.  Been on the phone several times.  They have me pick ports but nothing works.  Half a month in and all this can be used for is a basic search...

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor II

Re: New Customer - cannot download any video

They've had issues with their backbone provider, and they have been working on them. Not sure if this is what's going on with your service, but it may be related.  Do you have these issues at all times, or at specific times of the day?

Highlighted
Freshman

My understanding was Hughes has issues when CentryLink had their issue.  My specific issue has been ongoing - it has never worked since install.  Sometimes it will start a download but never, ever complete.   Three separate phone support attempts...

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@LowHugh88 

I'm not familiar with how downloading items from those services works, but if it's anything like streaming, the problem could very well be due to the combination latency and congestion, with the latter being higher than it normally would due to so many more people being home and online, taxing the system.  

Another problem could be your service speed, though even with adequate service speed what's mentioned above may still be the problem.  If you haven't already, I would run a few speed tests to ensure your overall speed is adequate.  The instructions for the speed tests are here.  Please be sure to read the instructions thoroughly before running the tests to ensure that they are run properly.  Then, after running a few tests, post your testmy.net "My Results" page URL into a reply so the results can be viewed.  

------------------------------------------------------------

On a separate note, just in case, a few of us here use PlayOn Cloud to get around streaming issues that can occur, such as buffering and possibly what you're seeing.  You download with PlayOn Cloud as well, but you're downloading an mp4 of the chosen item, and you can then watch that mp4 on any device that can play them, which is most devices these days, including Smart TVs.  You can also schedule the downloads to be late at night, when the system is the least congested.  You choose the item and PlayOn Cloud streams it for you to their server in "the cloud", then converts that item to the aforementioned mp4, which you then download, either automatically, manually or by scheduling.  Because they're streaming it for you, and because you watch it from a downloaded file, which you can keep forever, there's no buffering.  It's just an idea as an alternate.  If you have any questions about PlayOn Cloud, feel free to ask (maratsade uses it too).  And no, I don't work for them.  I've just used it for the last year or so and it's worked well.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Freshman

I appreciate all the help.  Any way to get around the speed test requirement to be connected with a LAN cable?  Doesn't seem to provide an alternative for an iPad or iPhone.  Even a lot of new laptops don't have a Ethernet port anymore...  as a comparison for the "WiFi", I get 12Mbps from my cellular connection and .4 Mbps on Hughes - this using fast.com...

Highlighted

Century Link's issues are ongoing. 

That said, I hope your issue improves or gets resolved.

LowHugh88 wrote:

My understanding was Hughes has issues when CentryLink had their issue.  My specific issue has been ongoing - it has never worked since install.  Sometimes it will start a download but never, ever complete.   Three separate phone support attempts...

Highlighted

The reason they ask that you run the tests while connected directly to the modem is to isolate the modem from the wifi and determine whether the problem is with the modem or with the wifi. 

And the comparison with cellular doesn't work either, as it doesn't isolate the modem. 

If you have nothing else, I would say run the tests with what you have. 

@LowHugh88 wrote:

I appreciate all the help.  Any way to get around the speed test requirement to be connected with a LAN cable?  Doesn't seem to provide an alternative for an iPad or iPhone.  Even a lot of new laptops don't have a Ethernet port anymore...  as a comparison for the "WiFi", I get 12Mbps from my cellular connection and .4 Mbps on Hughes - this using fast.com...

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@LowHugh88 wrote:

When troubleshooting, tests run via LAN cable give baseline speed results, whereas tests run via WiFi introduce a possible problem source into the mix.  It's the baseline speed results that HughesNet first needs to know the true speed of one's service at the times the tests are run.

Fast.com mimics streaming, which its designed to do.  Because of this, you'll never see HughesNet results higher than ~3Mbps when testing on fast.com unless the Video Data Saver is disabled.  Still, when troubleshooting speed issues testmy.net needs to be used.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted

Hi LowHugh88,

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting. I've pulled up your account to address your concerns and after running diagnostics on your site, I'm not seeing anything in particular that should prevent you from doing what you need to do online.

To help us get to the bottom of this, I could use more details:

I understand you're trying to use the download function in Netflix and Amazon Prime Video, like in the examples below, correct?

Do you normally use your iPad (HomePCs-iPad) to try downloading Netflix and Amazon content?

When it fails to download, what happens, do you get an error message?

If so, what is the error message?

Does this behavior persist on any other device?

If you haven't tried this yet on another device, please do and let me know how that goes.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Highlighted

Good morning LowHugh88, 

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.