cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FoxCreek
New Poster

New Customer of 1 day, very slow download speeds since install

Hi, 

I am a new customer and had my system installed about 24 hours ago. Ever since installation I have been able to load web pages decently but when i try to download anything it is super slow. The best i have tested is around 1.5 Mbps during bonus time this morning but in reality it seems to be much much slower when actually downloading anything. Yesterday it took me all day and last night to download a 27MB app. I have run multiple tests and they usually range from 500Kbps to a max of 1.5Mbps during bonus time.  As far as i know the dish is lined up correctly so I am wondering if there is something else going on. I can understand some slowdown during peak times and depending on weather but i cant believe it would slow down by 98%.

Here is a link to my testmy.net results over the past 24 hours running tests as instructed in the tech support forum. https://testmy.net/quickstats/dshoults

I appreciate the help in resolving this issue.

Thank you

10 REPLIES 10
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Your speed through Testmy.net is the measure of how fast your system is capable of going (much like a car tested in a closed circuit). When you factor in activities like browsing or downloading, your experience can be much slower, because other factors come into play such as congestion, network management, traffic, number of devices you have connected to your network, number of people in your house using the network simultaneously, etc. This is why even when you see high speeds, your downloads may still be slow. This has been worse since the pandemic, and it may not get any better any time soon.  Your speeds do look pretty bad, though. 

Downloads will be harder to do in the evening, because more people are online and satellite internet systems are pushed to capacity. You may want to do downloads before 7 am.

I suggest you run all your download tests with the 25MB manual file size.

This is the internal status page for the modem: http://192.168.0.1/#!/home/status

When you go there, what numbers are next to State Code?

FoxCreek wrote:

Hi, 

I am a new customer and had my system installed about 24 hours ago. Ever since installation I have been able to load web pages decently but when i try to download anything it is super slow. The best i have tested is around 1.5 Mbps during bonus time this morning but in reality it seems to be much much slower when actually downloading anything. Yesterday it took me all day and last night to download a 27MB app. I have run multiple tests and they usually range from 500Kbps to a max of 1.5Mbps during bonus time.  As far as i know the dish is lined up correctly so I am wondering if there is something else going on. I can understand some slowdown during peak times and depending on weather but i cant believe it would slow down by 98%.

Here is a link to my testmy.net results over the past 24 hours running tests as instructed in the tech support forum. https://testmy.net/quickstats/dshoults

I appreciate the help in resolving this issue.

Thank you

Maratsade,

My state code is showing as 0.0.0. 

I understand I may see slowdown at times and recently. But the speeds I am getting seem to be excessivly low. Does this state code tell us anything?

Thank you

maratsade

The state code indicates the system seems to be working just fine from the satellite to the ground station and from the ground station to your modem.  This may mean that there's something going on at your end, or it's an internet related issue, or both. 

Have you tried rebooting the modem? 

How many devices do you have connected to the modem (edit: directly or via wifi)? The more you have the more they bog down your system.

To have speed issues addressed on this site, make sure you follow the procedure outlined here:  https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607

I have tried rebooting the modem a few times. And overall i have 2 iphones and a Macbook on the wireless network usually, but not all browsing/active at once. I have tested the speed with only the laptop connected via LAN cable and no other devices connected to the router and it made no difference. I was expecting to get at least 5-10 Mbps reliably but am trying to figure out what is "normal" currently for speeds and why mine is so slow.

maratsade

Your current speeds seem abnormally low, so I'm hoping the HughesNet staff on the site will chime in with an idea or a diagnostic. Not sure if anyone is still around, but they should be around during business hours tomorrow.

I hope so too, thank you for all of your help so far.

GabeU

@FoxCreek 

Just in case, and if you haven't already, I would try a few speed tests with the LAN cable connected laptop and with the WiFi in the HT2000W disabled.  Not just the WiFi devices turned off, but with the WiFi itself disabled.  This would ensure that absolutely nothing is connecting via WiFi and possibly sapping bandwidth.  Judging from your results thus far it's not likely that this will show that much of a difference, if any, but it's something the reps may end up asking for.

KathyVoss

Hello,

After running diagnostics on your account, it indicates that everything is working. I did notice that (Ashleys-iPhone) had a poor device signal, but all the other devices had good signals. Try switching from the 5 GHz network and connect to the 2.4 network. Are you having slow downloads on all of your devices or just one? 

Kathy 

It seems to be all of the devices and it does not seem to make a difference if i am on the 5GHz or 2.4GHz network.  I rarely see more than 1Mbps when testing it no matter when I run the test.  What speed is considered normal at this point? is a 95-98% drop in speed considered normal right now? 

Thank you for your help.

For troubleshooting purposes, let's focus on one of the sites you frequent, so please let me know which one. Disconnect all network devices except for the one you use the most to access that site, and let me know which device it is.

Try to access that site and let me know what exact issues you're having.

Kathy