Hughesnet Community

New Customers Beware. Relaxed Bandwidth Marketing Tactics and Losing your High Speed Data

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Moodeeb
Sophomore

New Customers Beware. Relaxed Bandwidth Marketing Tactics and Losing your High Speed Data

My sales rep was beyond friendly.
My installer was one of the most professional people I'd ever met in his line of work.

Even the customer service reps are nice.

Sadly, so far, it appears to be lip-service.

So, one of the sales and marketing tactics you'll probably hear, is "for the first 20 days, your internet will reset every night." or (depending who you talk to) "Your internet will rest each time you run out for the first 20 days." - you even get an email stating exactly that.

I live in the country, with very limited internet options. I had a solution with my cell phone carrier for 40 gigs of high-speed data, and I changed that plan (irreversable, as it was a 1 time deal they made me when I switched cell carriers) so, I'm kinda stuck with this path I'm on. When I get great service from a company, I am one of those customers who tells everyone. Likewise, if a company does not follow through on promises they make, or uses shady marketing tactics, I ALSO tell everyone.

I've been out of high speed data for 2 days now. I've had hughesnet for 3 days. This is because a huge hype-point they make, is that you can use all the data you want for 20 days to "update your equipment." What do people actually do with this data? IDK. Download movies I imagine? Myself, I am in the tech businesss, and I have been waiting months to update and download production software. So I burnt through my data, after having 3 people at Hughesnet tell me my data will reset during my "relaxed bandwidth" period.

I am out of data, and the phone reps just keep spinning their wheels. I feel bad for them. I tell them not to take my call personally because my problem is not their fault, but they work for hughesnet, and so they are tasked with being on the receiving end of my calls. I don't think these people actually work for hughesnet. I'm not sure hughesnet even has a dedicated customer service team. Maybe they do, I don't know, but I do know that their customer service reps seem unable to do anything to help me. 

God help me if I ever have a problem with my service, because if this experience is any indicator of what getting a resolution will be like, I'm frankly scared. I probably should have done more research before committing. There are other satellite services. Maybe not as fast, maybe not as modern, but if they can offer consistent, reliable customer service, I would gladly take reliable service over the bright and shiney hughesnet Gen 5, that comes tethered to a customer service department that seems unable to help their customers, regardless of how nice they are on the phone.

I've only been with Hughesnet 3 -4 days. When I had internet, it was consistently at 15-16 mbps. This is with Gen 5. I live in a very open and clear sky, so I don't know what they are taking about when they say 25 mbps. More lip service most likely. If I were you, I wouldn't expect 25 mbps, I would expect 15. And I wouldn't expect any relaxed bandwidth, or you, like me, will be without intenet. 😞 

To be continued...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Liz

Good morning Moodeeb,

Our engineers have resolved the issue so your data should now be resetting as it's supposed to be during your first 20 days. I do apologize for the inconvenience, it certainly is not normal for your data to not reset as a new customer. Thank you again for reaching out to us so we can take care of this for you.

If you have additional concerns, please don't hesitate to return to the community.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15