New Gen 5 due to bad Gen 4 Still no glory! What now? :(

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
val_t
Senior

New Gen 5 due to bad Gen 4 Still no glory! What now? :(

I must say I am Not Happy with my New Gen 5.  Now I am locked it for 2 years so how do I get this working?

Also how do I post screen shots of tests here.

Val

135 REPLIES 135

hughesnet test 1-25.JPG

this test is from an app called NetWorx I have on my computer to keep track of my data used.  I just did this test after I did the huges net one.

network app 1-25.JPG

Hi Val,

Thanks for the new tests and screenshots. Since all these speed tests are showing varying results let's focus on your internet experience. You mentioned before you were experiencing video buffering. You tested with the Video Data saver off then on, and remarked "Both times video buffered one time at beginning". What about the rest of the time, were you able to finish the video fine while VDS was enabled? From what I could tell in the nerd stats, it looks like the playback was set to auto quality, is that correct?

I just want to determine if you can successfully watch a YouTube video at auto quality with VDS enabled.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Yes during this test I was able to watch the video with and without Data Saver on in the quality it was Auto chosen for.  Meaning it will pick what they recorded it in I believe.  I check the box Auto for the quality.  Only when it is above 480 I will drop it down.   Habit to save data.  

This is not usually the case tho 😞  Most of the time I experience buffering all the way thru. Sometimes is so bad I just pause it and let it load then play it but when super slow it doesn't seem to want to load much of it then it stalls.  I never had this problem before on Gen 4 but the last few months or so then got WAY bad and I upgraded.  Not that it did any good.  LOL

But anyway that test of both ways only buffered once at the beginning.

Val

Hi Val,

Thank you for letting me know. We'll just have to continue troubleshooting methodically. 

I know you've tested directly connected to the HughesNet modem, but I see you have at least two devices connecting to the wifi network. For troubleshooting purposes, please disable the wifi in the HughesNet modem so we can ensure there's nothing else on the network when you're trying to stream on one computer directly connected to the modem. Here's the HT2000w guide, wifi settings are on page 68. You'll want to turn off SSID for both 2.4 and 5 GHz networks.

Let me know if streaming YouTube with one computer directly connected to the HughesNet modem, with its wifi disabled show any difference in performance.

Please also provide the following information:

Do you struggle with video streaming at all times of the day/night?

How many people are typically using internet when you notice buffering?

Are others in the household watching videos on other devices?

Does this happen on other streaming sites like Hulu, Amazon, Netflix, etc?

Regarding your PM about email, please PM me your preferred email address so I can update it in billing. Alternatively, you can view your bill online going to My Account above, and then My Bill.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Hi Liz,

I only know of one thing that should be connecting wirelessly to my modem.  That would be a printer and should only do that once a day if has new data to upload about pages printed.

Not sure what the other is but we have Dish and that might be a joey but I would think it should not use internet unless we are downloading some movie and we don't.  I do not know if the joey uses the cable or lan to access recorded movies ... I would think would be the cable as all are connected to a cable.  But I dont really know.  Not sure that would go out via the internet if it did or if would cause issue if other is not watching a recording.

Videos buffer daytime less than evening time.  That is the issue, as before I had no issues on either timeframe.

There is usually only one person on the internet at a time.  Not by design but that is how it usually is.

We dont hulu netfix or etc.   I have answered all this before.   and my computer is wired in not using wireless. 

other computer rarely uses internet except maybe on weekends.  I am the main one using the internet.

Val

Thanks for the info, Val. Yes, the other device I saw on your network is the Hopper.

For troubleshooting purposes, please disable the wifi in the HughesNet modem so we can ensure there's nothing else on the network when you're trying to stream on one computer directly connected to the modem. Here's the HT2000w guide, wifi settings are on page 68. You'll want to turn off SSID for both 2.4 and 5 GHz networks.

Let me know if streaming YouTube with one computer directly connected to the HughesNet modem, with its wifi disabled show any difference in performance.

Thanks for the info, Val. Yes, the other device I saw on your network is the Hopper.

For troubleshooting purposes, please disable the wifi in the HughesNet modem so we can ensure there's nothing else on the network when you're trying to stream on one computer directly connected to the modem. Here's the HT2000w guide, wifi settings are on page 68. You'll want to turn off SSID for both 2.4 and 5 GHz networks.

Hi Liz,

I hope I did it right.   I have Unchecked the box SSID enable on both the 2.4 and 5 GHz then saved it.  Hope that is what you were saying to do.  Will let you know if helped or if same.   Oh had to do them separately ... just incase anyone needs to do it.  do one save it do the other save it.

Valunchecked 2.4.JPGunchecked 5.JPG

Hi Val,

Yes, that is exactly correct, thank you for including screenshots as well! Please let me know if streaming YouTube with one computer directly connected to the HughesNet modem, and with VDS off makes any difference.

Your welcome Liz,

I hope your saving those for the "How to" sticky I asked for.  Smiley LOL  Heart

Will let you know when I watch a vid.

Will I need to turn that back on for my printer to be able to upload data?  Can I keep my TV from accessing it?

Currently both are not able to.  I would like to keep the TV off of it if possible.

Val

Hi Liz,

I did not see any difference from last testing.  buffered in beginning then worked.  Lots of network activity on datasaver none on the data saver off just a few blips but did not affect video.  Began at 8:33 am Saturday morning.  Wasn't much interested with my random pick so only did half way to save data.

Val

data ondata ondata half waydata half wayinteruptions.JPGno data saver buffering beginningno data saver buffering beginningno data half wayno data half wayspeed test 2-3.JPG

Just so you know ..... After I did that test I tried to watch a short 7.33 min video and it buffered all the way thru.  55 times! I counted them.

This is so annoying.  I do not trust the speeds given in speed test.  A video should not buffer at all at those speeds. 😞

Val

Good morning Val,

Thank you for the tests and the screenshots, this helps. Let me escalate this to engineering for their input. We'll post back once there's any news to share.

Hi Liz,

Beautiful clear sky and sunshine today but....... having issues again and my tests at Hughesnet are way over blown in my opinion.

2-8-18 tests.JPG

I just wanted to show you what Youtube says about speeds and what you can watch with those speeds.

If my speedtests are correct then why can I not watch a 480 video without buffering?  I never had this problem before 😞

Val

Internet speeds for Youtube.JPG

That's certainly a question for the engineers, who are still looking into your case. Haven't heard back from them yet, but we'll let you know once we do.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

Hi Liz,

Just wanted to let you know .... I figure if I say nothing you won't know, and its info you need I think.

Today is worse...... but is expected since there is misty rain and clouds.  buffering at 360 without data saver and speeds are same as yesterdays on my app.  I am going to run without data saver and just keep my videos on the 480 for max size.  Hopefully I can make it to end of month but won't know unless I try it.  I could watch videos all day long no problem on gen 4 no buffering unless raining or super cloudy but still not as bad as what I have now.  Something else I notice is when I am buffering I can not pause and let it fully load so can watch.  It only loads a small amount and stops.   Then when I watch, I have to wait again so it can load some more.  I took a screen shot to show you how much it will load then stop.  I have walked away for long time to come back and find this several times.  No way around it I guess til they fix whatever is causing it.

Val

Buffering and not loading in pause.JPG

Here is another pic of same video....... it did not load much as you can see in first pic, but it finally cactches up and buffers again in this pic.  Hoping this info will help them figure it out.

Val

Caught up again.JPG

at 12:05 loaded to here then stopped.  Going to wait and and show you how it stays that way.

Val1205pm loaded to here.JPG

Here it is at 12:15 ...... still in same place.  As you can see this is only a 27:56 video and it takes me twice as long to watch it. 😞  Very annoying 😞  I took the whole screen so you could see time.

Sad thing is that I will probably have to pause it and let load another time maybe twice to see it.  If I don't pause it ....... it is so on and off it is impossible to watch.  This has been the problem most days.  Some days it works but not very often.  I would guess 1/4 to 1/3rd of the time they play.

Val

1215 still in same place on loading.JPG