New Gen 5 due to bad Gen 4 Still no glory! What now? :(

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
val_t
Senior

New Gen 5 due to bad Gen 4 Still no glory! What now? :(

I must say I am Not Happy with my New Gen 5.  Now I am locked it for 2 years so how do I get this working?

Also how do I post screen shots of tests here.

Val

135 REPLIES 135

My internet still slow........... even slower now.  Even the Hughes net test shows slower but I still don't believe it.  LOL

Good night.  Can't do much so going to watch TV even tho nothing worth watching is on.  LOL  Everything as far as movies go is all reruns.  😞

Val

Tonights test.JPGtest tonight.JPG

Good morning Val,

Thank you for keeping us updated. Although I haven't heard back from engineering regarding your case, I will send over yesterday's speed test result and check on engineering's status. 

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Thanks Liz,

Here is one for today just a few minutes ago.   I still don't believe the Hughesnet one. 

Valspeed test 2-22-18.JPG

Good morning Val,

The engineer ran a speed test analysis through last night and will compensate you for the usage (most likely by putting the bandwidth directly into your token bytes amount so you don't have to do anything). The engineer would also like to confirm the device you're using lately to try to stream, is it still just the laptop/PC connected directly to the modem?

Also, where is the modem with regards to the laptop/pc?

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Hi Liz,

PC across hall from modem on new cable (flat type)  Previous tests show no difference if I hook straight in to modem in same room.  Just so you know.

Val

Got a question about billing............  When does new bill show as I just got my 5 day notice and it is still showing Feb 8 due date bill.  😞

I am still not happy I got billed full price from Dec 29 to Jan 1.  Then had to pay for January on Feb 8. (actually taken on the 29th of January) due on 8th Feb.

I was told it was Pre Billed but if this is how they do it ..... sure looks like pay for at the end of month since they started me over On Jan 1.  Just so you understand I paid 89.98 Dec 29th for my first month.  Then I got billed for the tax from first payment and the full bill on Dec 29th again. then had to pay for January on Feb 8th.  First payment was done on 28th  think then bill shows 29th.

Val

Dec Bill.JPG

Hi Val,

You were issued an on going credit for a few months for your concerns, this was applied after your initial bill was already generated, so your latest bill on 1/29 is the first to see the credit. Your bill generates every month on the 29th, so your next bill will be available Feb 29.

Ok I did get some credit off Jan bill .......... I do not see credits until bill is generated.  Did I get 92.23 worth of credits spread out over time?

I wasn't aware that that credit was for the bill ..... thought was for poor internet and no internet first 3 days.

Val

Hi Val,

Please check your PMs as I explained your bill in further detail.

Thanks Liz,

All understood now.

Val

Hi Liz,

Just want to share a speed test to show you why I don't trust the other speed tests from Hughes.  This is when I am in FAP and you can see my app shows I am and also now Hughes does also.

2-28 tests.JPG

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@val_t

Keep in mind that one is giving you results in bits per second, while the other is bytes per second.  Multiply Bytes per second by eight to get bits per second.  

With this said, it's possible that I'm misinterpreting your post and that you're actually saying that you trust Hughes' test results and acknowledge that the results from the two sources are similar...at least with your most recent test.  

Hi Val, 

You can stick to testmy.net and not waste time with the HughesNet test if you prefer. The engineers are fine with testmy.net.

@GabeU

I am only saying that My app I believe is correct.  I have not been getting the speeds Hughes net says I should get.  The first day I was on Gen 5 I got a speed test of 31 MBs on this app and that is what testmy.net said.  As soon as the Tech left I went to 5 or less ever since.  I also know I could watch videos with out any buffering before when on Gen 4 which is supposedly not as good as Gen 5 and I should have no issues watching 4K if I wanted to according to the Tech that installed it.  So something is wrong with this setup or modem or something.

Val

@GabeUwrote:

@val_t

Keep in mind that one is giving you results in bits per second, while the other is bytes per second.  Multiply Bytes per second by eight to get bits per second.  

With this said, it's possible that I'm misinterpreting your post and that you're actually saying that you trust Hughes' test results and acknowledge that the results from the two sources are similar...at least with your most recent test.  

I thought it was multiply bits per second by 8 to get bytes.  😉

8 bits - 1 byte

TJ

Kind of like asking a beekeeper how to go about raising queens.  You will get a different answer from every beekeeper you ask.   LOL

Val

@GabeU

All I know is that when I was in FAP the numbers looked to be what would be correct being in FAP on both speed tests.

Val

I would not be complaining if my youtube videos would not buffer.  They never did that before and certainly should not now. Even if I am at 5 mbps I should be able to watch a video in 1080p without buffering.  I know because I have done it before on Gen 4 but I stopped as it takes a lot off my data.  I only watch in 480 or less and have been for a long time and did not have this issue at all.   Internet speeds for Youtube.JPG

I would like to test out a whole month without the data saver on to see if it is the issue, but I don't have the data I had before on Gen 4 and I only used 30 a few times in the 2+ years I was on it.  I have already hit it twice since been on Gen 5 if you count what I actually used in January. And for Feb I hit fap but had tokens on that too.  I don't think that data saver is working as they claim it does.

Val

Past years data.JPG

March data used so far.JPG

@GabeU

@macsociety

What kind of connection speeds do your youtubes show with data saver OFF using the nerd stats they have?  It is saying I am getting 2375 Kbps not Mbps.  

Val

connection speeds from youtube.JPG

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@macsocietywrote:

@GabeUwrote:

@val_t

I thought it was multiply bits per second by 8 to get bytes.  😉

8 bits - 1 byte

TJ

Eight bits do equal one byte, which is why one must multiply bytes per second by eight to get bits per second, or divide bits per second by eight to get bytes per second.    

Notice in the picture below that it's showing 42.9 Megabits per second, but to the right in parentheses, 5.4 Megabytes per second.  

Kfb3kyl9z.png