New Gen 5 due to bad Gen 4 Still no glory! What now? :(

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
val_t
Senior

New Gen 5 due to bad Gen 4 Still no glory! What now? :(

I must say I am Not Happy with my New Gen 5.  Now I am locked it for 2 years so how do I get this working?

Also how do I post screen shots of tests here.

Val

135 REPLIES 135
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@lake_woman wrote:

I gave you steps to resolve the Amazon problem. You did not respond. SMH at you.

First, that was in a different thread.  Secondly, your suggestions made no difference.  Thirdly, my reply and instructions were to val_t.  

@GabeU wrote:

@lake_woman wrote:

I gave you steps to resolve the Amazon problem. You did not respond. SMH at you.

First, that was in a different thread.  Secondly, your suggestions made no difference.  Thirdly, my reply and instructions were to val_t.  

Well, you could have responded in the original thread as a courtesy. SMH

GabeU

@lake_woman

I'm only going to say this once.  This thread has nothing to do with the other.   Your response to instructions I gave to someone in this thread was not only unessecary, but uncalled for.  Your suggestions were not included, nor referenced, for reasons of which I will now explain in a reply on the other thread.         

@GabeU wrote:

@lake_woman

I'm only going to say this once.  This thread has nothing to do with the other.   Your response to instructions I gave to someone in this thread was not only unessecary, but uncalled for.  Your suggestions were not included, nor referenced, for reasons of which I will now explain in a reply on the other thread.         

I really don't care whether you say it once or twice, etc. In my opinion, you need to be taken down a few pegs. Do not lecture to me. I laugh at you.

Wow what did I miss!!!

@GabeU

Sorry didn't get to that help you posted.  I got discusted with the internet and went about my day.
Thanks for the tip on fast.com.  I won't use it anymore, only used it as a rep had me go there when on gen 4 to do a test.

Computer still slow today.  I rebooted modem...... no difference.  Rain moving in now so doubt anything I do would be of any help since rain can drop my speeds etc.  Will have to wait til tomorrow and see if anything has gotten better.

What I don't get is my test show better than before but nothing really changed.  I have youtube set to auto speed and most come up at 480 or less and still get the buffering when my speeds show 20+ and sometimes the youtube works well when speeds are below 2 or 3  .......... I just don't get it. 

I meant to say Auto Quality not speeds.  Have speed tests on the brain I guess.  I also have the data saver on.  I do not use the snooze as it says will use more data.   I just want the darn things to play without buffering and not blurry. 

When first got Gen 4 everything was great could even do 1080p if I wanted.  And I did at times ..... had a 50GB plan there.  Now got cut back to 30 and if what I keep seeing is true.... I may have to stop watching videos.  Almost sounds like the data saver thing is bogus and people end up using all their data after the first month bonuses go away.

GabeU

@val_t

Regarding the Youtube videos, have you tried turning off the Video Data Saver?   It's designed to throttle the speed to such that is amenable to SD to save data, so with it on your Youtube vids normally won't play in anything higher than 480p.  But, with that said, turning the Video Data Saver off may also help with the buffering even when it already is playing in 480p or less.  The only thing is, when the Video Data Saver is turned off the videos might start playing in a higher definition, which will use more data, so you should keep an eye on that just to be sure it's not happening if you do turn the VDS off, as it probably will. 

Also, keep in mind that the Video Data Saver only engages when some type of streaming is being done (like Youtube, Netflix, Hulu, etc), but it doesn't save data for anything else.  And with just about everything, including websites themselves, using more data than they did not long ago, data usage goes up and up and up. 

What is Video Data Saver?

Something else that may help to save a little data is an ad blocker for your browser.  Ads are getting much more data intensive, with a lot of them playing little videos.   An ad blocker can keep them from even loading, so the data that would be used for them is saved.  AdBlock Plus seems to be the most popular, and it's free.    It's not going to save a ton of data, but every little bit helps.  🙂 

Yes I have ad blocker.  🙂  I also tried the data saver off and still sadly slow and buffering.  I only used about 30 a month on Gen 4 so not worried but still not what I am paying for. 😞

Val

Hi Val,

Thanks for these latest updates and for troubleshooting with Gabe. When you disabled VDS, was this on a device directly connected to the HughesNet modem? If not, can you please test streaming on a device directly connected to the modem with VDS disabled?

If you encounter troubles streaming directly connected, please try another device you can connect directly to the modem. If you don't have another device to connect to the modem, please test streaming on one wifi device (try to make sure it's the only active wifi device on your network) with VDS off. Please let me know whether or not you still encounter issues.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Hi Liz,

I was watching a youtube video.    It wasn't like a roku or anything like that also not a ps4 etc  We dont have ps4 connected EVER   lol   And we RARELY download movies on Dish.

Val

Next time I watch a video on youtube I will turn off the data saver and try it just at the auto size it comes up as and see if it works then will try it with it on and see if it works but I think I will have to leave off youtube and then go back so not have it in memory and play ok the second time.  I think it would be best if I watch the same thing both times.

Val

I did a speed test at ookla Then I joined to get an account so could post a link ...... but I dont think they have that option so here is what I got.  Oh and now I can't get ookla to work due to it telling me to turn off ad blocker and now it wont work  LOL

1-22 test.JPG 

Good morning Val,

Thank you for the additional details. So if you're not using a Roku or your PS4 to watch YouTube, on what device are you watching? 

Is that device plugged directly to the HughesNet modem?

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Hi Liz,

Computer direct wired

Ok I did this youtube test and here are the results.

speed test after watching were

with data saver  DL 28.54 UL 2.36            no data saver  DL 28.56  UL  2.55    data used  DL .07 GB UL .02 GB total .12 GB

Both times video buffered one time at beginning         I got nerd stats pics to see what differences were

I closed window after first watched then restarted from different window so would not have any preloaded

With data saver                                                                                       without data saver   

no data saverno data saver

no data saver half thruno data saver half thru

no data full screenno data full screen

no data near endno data near end

with data saverwith data saver

with data saver half way thruwith data saver half way thru

with data saver full screenwith data saver full screen

with data saver near endwith data saver near end

Ok sorry cant position them where I want so good thing I put on caption.

whoops forgot some info

with data saver video used                   without Data saver used

.03 DL  0 UL  .04 total    GB                  .05 DL  .01 UL  .06  total  GB

Seemed to use slower speeds without data saver.  Both times played the same.  Also seemed to have more Network activity with the data saver on.   Used more data without data saver but not much.  Was a 24.21 video watched in 480.  regular screen except when put on full screen then went back to regular.

I wanted to see if there was anything the nerd stats would say that might show a difference in the two and it did.

What does it say???????   well I will let the data gurus figure that out   LOL  

Hi Val,

Thanks for much for this information, it certainly is intriguing, I forgot about the nerdstats on YouTube. The ~30 Mbps speeds you mentioned, was that from Ookla? I just wanted to be sure that what I'm interpreting is correct, that your speed tests are around 30 Mbps but according to YouTube, the connection speeds are <1300 kbps.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

bare65
Advanced Tutor

okay, well not sure what happened to my last reply...it has mysteriously vanaished

but I wanted to say that Ookla is WAY off on their test results.

Yesterday, according to Ookla (desktop version) I was getting 16+ mbps download and 20+mbps upload

hn.png

HOWEVER..I can tell you right now, without a doubt, my download speeds are approx. 1-4mbps, and my upload speeds are avereging 1-2mbps. Hughesnet's own speed test reslts via my account page is also coinciding my continued slsow speeds..

hn2.png

something is certainly not right with Ookla, and personally, I would think that any results you get from speedtest.net should be disregarded as they are obviously not accurate..

Thanks for your input, bare65. At this point, other speed test sites are open for consideration.

bare65
Advanced Tutor

@Liz

Never thought I'd say this, but this past week or so, out of all of the different speed test websites available, HughesNet's own speed test page has been the most accurate, when comparing the results to what I'm actually experiencing first hand....which is approx. 1-3mbps download, and 1-2mbps upload. (this is after the tech visit last week and beam change on Echostar 19)

A far cry from what they should be...but I sent you an update and private message with more info on that yesterday.

I'm not sure if you've had a change to read that or not.

p.s @val_t I didn't mean to hijack your thread *sorry*

@bare65No problem there Bare65 🙂

@LizThat was from hughes net speed test.  I always get good tests ..... I don't trust it .......but it was handy.

I rarely get a bad test on hughesnet speed test.  Go figure.  Took a bit to get in here and this is what my speed test with hughesnet is now.   23.28 DL   2.28 UL 

Val