Hughesnet Community

New Gen 5 owner in Northern California (slow as molasses)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
macsociety
Advanced Tutor

New Gen 5 owner in Northern California (slow as molasses)

Hi, new Gen 5 owner in Northern Calfornia, near Sacramento up in the foothills.  Service installed yesterday.  Slow very slow speeds.  Called tech support at Hughes today and they said they will escalate the call to engineering which means another 2 to 3 business days before I get help.

Kind of stinks since it was just installed yesterday.

Anyway, last speed test I ran was 1.1Mbps down.  Sheesh.  

Went through over an hour call with Hughes today running tests and such just to prove I am getting slow speeds.  Then told have to wait until next week to get it looked at.

http://testmy.net/stats/?&t=u&d=09292017&x=2&l=25&q=macsociety

In case this can help....  I am pointed at:

Satellite NameEchoStar-19-NAD

Gateway ID8

Beam ID55

Outroute ID7

Thanks for the ear.

Thomas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

My repoint to ES17 is done.  Promising for sure.

As speeds can always go up and down on a whim, I will ride this for a week ro two before I say it is fixed for sure but apepars we should be good to go.

Before the installer came over I had a about 1Mbps down.... and after, they are 24 and 17Mbps so far.

What appears to have suffered in the switch back to ES17 is uploads so far.  I was getting better 2Mbps before the installer came over and now getting between 800K and 1Mbps.  I can live with that.  😉  

So... so far so good.  Thanks Hughes for getting things back on track.  

https://testmy.net/quickstats/macsociety

TJ

View solution in original post

298 REPLIES 298
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@Maddog150

Beam 055 doesn't cover you if you're in Kansas...  You would be best to start your own topic to start troubleshooting as your issues are most likely different.

Thanks Corrosive!   Just got the service around the end of June, and was very unfamiliar with Hughes--obviously still am.  🙂  Appreciate the recommendation.  

Waiting with baited breath. hehe.

Although I don't expect miracles, would be nice if whatever Hughes does today, if not already done, helps.  Speeds are slow today so guessing they have not or the fix takes a bit.  Or they are doing later today.  

Speeds last night were really bad.  Two tests before I had enough of it was lowest 500K.  Not good.  

If they can at least iron things out so an eveness, even if slower than we should get, gives us usable speeds until they can get things figured out.  I would be happy with 5 to 10 Mbps of even download speeds until they can get things figured out.  I know the happy medium is like 15Mbps.

544K does not cut it.

http://testmy.net/stats/?&t=u&d=10072017&x=2&l=25&q=macsociety

Hoping for the best!

TJ

Zip 95249 here, I would think we are on the same Beam?

Just did a speed test-   down arrow Download :: 35.1 Mbps

I'm curious as to what speed you had after your install?

I'm curious as to your install, not all are perfect, or don't have problems later, dish alignment, any connections, coaxlial fittings even cable.

Just trying to explain your problem, when I don't have any now, however did from Monday on evenings, not mornings, then a reboot solved the speed problem evenings.

It was bad from the get go.  The tech had me connect to the system via iPhone using speedtest, which I know now is not the testing standard, but while he was here I did what he said.  Ran my own speedtests later from testmy.net and they came in poor too.  But with speedtest the two we ran 1st one was OK at 14Mbps but 2nd one was 2Mbps.  A sign of how my tests would go these last week.

I just arrived home and unplugged the modem after running a couple testmy.net before doing so.  Both poor.  Then after reset of modem I am still get sub par speeds.

1st one was fine... 15Mbps so I thought cool!  But then #2 was only 5Mbps.  Far below that minimum 15Mbps we should see.  By later tonight my guess I will be back down to 500K to 2Mbps like been happening this last week.  Unless again as of 2:30PM PST they have not done this beam 55 fix.

I will of course test today and tomorrow too.

Not sure what signal should be but when I check 192.168.0.1 mine shows this:

Satellite Receive Signal Strength96
Data Packets Received60548
Control Packets Received292128
Bursts Transmitted12943
Packets Transmitted16621

Seems my Sat Receive Signal Strength has always been in the 90s and guessing that means good?

Wiring... I used to be on Gen 4 before leaving Hughes... the the tech reused the cable going into the house from the Gen 4 service.  He did run new cable from dish to 1/2 way to the cable that comes into the house where he split into it along its path.  I see a ground cable going from this split to a 110v outlet and he must be tapping into the ground there.

So, not sure of his install but looks like the one I had when I had Gen 4 that seemed to work OK.

TJ

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@macsociety

Signal strengths can vary from beam to beam, and where one is within their beam, but a signal strength in the 90s is good, as far as I know.  

And, though I'm only speaking for myself, and even though it's technically 60% of the advertised up to speed, which normally ISPs at least strive for, I hope that once the issue is straightened out you're seeing speeds higher than 15Mbps on a fairly regular basis.  I really do feel for all of the people on beams that are presently giving sub par speeds, including you.  I know that they truly are doing everything they can, as quickly as they can, to straighten this out, and I hope they are soon successful in doing so.    

@GabeU wrote:

@macsociety

Signal strengths can vary from beam to beam, and where one is within their beam, but a signal strength in the 90s is good, as far as I know.  

And, though I'm only speaking for myself, and even though it's technically 60% of the advertised up to speed, which normally ISPs at least strive for, I hope that once the issue is straightened out you're seeing speeds higher than 15Mbps on a fairly regular basis.  I really do feel for all of the people on beams that are presently giving sub par speeds, including you.  I know that they truly are doing everything they can, as quickly as they can, to straighten this out, and I hope they are soon successful in doing so.    

Me too.  😉

Will be nice to just connect and be on the net... at usable speeds... and not have to run speedtest after speedtest.  hehe

I am keeping an open spirit about it right now and we will see how it all pans out.

TJ

slow, slow, slow today,even as of midnight saturday.  maybe tomorrow?

@timandjodi wrote:

slow, slow, slow today,even as of midnight saturday.  maybe tomorrow?

Unfortunately same here.

Last nght did not seem as slow at first.. had to unplug the modem yesterday and not sure if that made a difference, but I was getting slow speeds but usable 

Today even after a reboot from modem and an unplug reset too... speeds have been bad today.  Couple OK speeds and now... all 1Mbps to 3Mbps range as shown here.

http://testmy.net/stats/?&t=u&d=10082017&x=2&l=25&q=macsociety

TJ

Zip 95249 here Mt Ranch, Ca

Just ran a speed test-

down arrow Download :: 34.2 Mbps 4.3 MB/s

I had a speed problem last evening, speeds at or below 1Mb.

I rebooted, then got 7 Mbs with 3 tests.

It works for me, why not ya'll ?

At 7Mbs I'm happy..

We FAP out usually mid term of the allowance due to the auto play vids in so many sites-news etc.

Even with 2.9 Mbs FAP, we watch utube with no buffering, sites load the same as with 30+ Mbs.

I have no complaints...lucky me eh 🙂

I do have to reboot nites tho 😞

I have been resetting and rebooting. As you will see, I did that this AM and my speeds are bad. 1 to 3mpbs. Even your 7mbps is very low. So something even with your service is off if you reset and only get 7. I find these are just numbers though. For me 2 to 3 should be usable for even watching netflix and YouTube. Both are so bad or don’t work at all. I have Netflix set to LOW quality and times out there. YouTube may play 144 videos but many pauses. So afraid even when I have 2 to 3mbps, which we should not unless under FAP, something is off as I can barely browse websites and get email. Maybe because speeds are all over the place and my connection is having hiccups. TJ

Interesting- we are also Northern CA, also Sierra foothills, same problems. Testmy says 2.2 to 2.4 on the 25 MB test. Called tech twice, they did some resets, still 2.2. Can't even listen to music, let alone anything with video. This is really not what I am paying for.

After reading this thread, I thought to plug in a copy of my post on another thread.  I am in the SF Bay Area  and think my experience is similar this thread.  So I too will be waiting to see if things improve back to where they were when I got Gen 5 back in May.  My troubles started during the week of 10/2/2017 for no known reason - at least on  my end.  Using Google's web site I got ping rates about 630 so that was good.  Supposedly good signal strength, etc.  So what gives?

After upgrading to Gen 5, I got really great up and download speeds for months.  Then last week  I noted that the downloads were taking a long time so I ran a series of speed tests on Hughes.net.  Instead of the 40 - 45 MPS I had been getting, I now got 0.7 MPS or there abouts for download speed.  I called Tech Support and after the Hughes person couldn't find a problem I was "escalated" to an independent outfit that Hughes has hired to do more technical stuff - Home Tech Support.  The rep remotely checked out my system (computer, modem/router, satelite connection, etc. and was unable to find anything wrong.  He had me run speed tests on the testmy.net site and got much better results - almost up to the speeds I had originally received on the Hughes site.  He told me to only use the testmy.net site and suggested I talk to a Hughes manager, rather than the person who initially comes on when you call.  I did and that manager also told me to use the testmy site rather than the Hughes one too.  And he too ran numerous tests and could find NOTHING wrong. 

I had several neighbors who have Gen 5 do the comparison of the Hughes and testmy download speed tests and they too got the same results.  CONCLUSION - there is something real wrong with the Hughes speed test.  They need to fix their in house issues! 

I am in Washington on the East side of the Cascade range and am becoming more frustrated with this imoroved Gen 5 every day.  I have run the tests and have monitored the acctual performance day to day and after 30 days can say wwith certainty that the biggest problem is inconsistant performance.  It is fast and slow hour to hour and consistantly slow in the evening.  When we want to use it the most of coarse.  I ordered this because the best Centrylink could give me was 1.5 which is painfully slow especially if two devices are downloading at once.  Centrylink customer service is terrable and I has at a deadend with them.  However, that slow speed was cosistant.  With the lag and the inconsistant speed from Hughs Net I have found that the main issue with streaming is that the websites we are trying to stream from time out waiting for the response and then when it finally does come the video has to restart download which is messing up the buffer.  

I have had speed tests in the range of 234 kbps to 22340 so there is speed sometimes and therfore my question is how do I adjust my system so I a.) get consistant and steady speeds 24/7 (15000 kbps +)? and b.) not have to reboot more than once per month which is the norm with cable, fiber and hotspot? 

I'm outside of Nevada City in Northern CA as well and a few weeks ago it started to slow down and get inconsistent. Before that it had been fine. I got escalated to tier 4 and now higher but they have no estimated time of when it will be fixed. Very frustrating! My guess is they oversold the beam? Like with others they tried fiddling with my modem settings that seemed to help a little but then a day later still the same terrible performance. 

On DSL Reports I saw CORROSIVE mention to someone that they could be having issues due to thier Outroute ID being set to 7, which is a backup. Mine is also set to 7 so perhaps this is a clue?

Satellite NameEchoStar-19-NAD
Gateway ID8
Beam ID55
Outroute ID7

@Liz , unfortunately what goes up must come down as they say.  

Held out optimism this AM but speeds are now creekely slow again.

Just a note is all.

Back down to 2 to 3 Mbps range.  Guessing by tonight I will be back into slower 1Mbps range.

Man Sad

TJ

Can anyone confirm that the outroute ID 7 is truly a backup?  Everything I am reading sounds like the problems I am also having,, and my outroute id is also 7.. so just wondering if any of this has been confirmed or not?

BTW, I am not in CA, but am in WV.. beam 67... but all this is familiar problems... 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@jlantz

Pretty sure it's a backup.  Both Corrosive and Mark have indicated this, and they're both pretty knowledgeable about the service and system.  With that said, while I did experience a few speeds considerably lower than MY normal during the peak usage times, it was only a few times and not consistently, like yours.  It also only stayed on 7 for a few days, which, from what I understand, can happen if there is some type of connection fault, like due to weather or something.  I had forgotten that I had some connection issues due to weather the previous evening of noticing I was on 7.   

Whether being on 7 could cause the types of consistent peak usage time issues you're seeing, I don't know.  

0.23 mbps download 0.58 up said they would call yesterday no call said they would call today............no call this is a **bleep**ing joke

0.23 mbps download 0.58 up said they would call yesterday no call said they would call today............no call this is a **bleep**ing joke. now this post will not post becaus the internet is to slow you gotta laugh