Hughesnet Community

New Gen 5 owner in Northern California (slow as molasses)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
macsociety
Advanced Tutor

New Gen 5 owner in Northern California (slow as molasses)

Hi, new Gen 5 owner in Northern Calfornia, near Sacramento up in the foothills.  Service installed yesterday.  Slow very slow speeds.  Called tech support at Hughes today and they said they will escalate the call to engineering which means another 2 to 3 business days before I get help.

Kind of stinks since it was just installed yesterday.

Anyway, last speed test I ran was 1.1Mbps down.  Sheesh.  

Went through over an hour call with Hughes today running tests and such just to prove I am getting slow speeds.  Then told have to wait until next week to get it looked at.

http://testmy.net/stats/?&t=u&d=09292017&x=2&l=25&q=macsociety

In case this can help....  I am pointed at:

Satellite NameEchoStar-19-NAD

Gateway ID8

Beam ID55

Outroute ID7

Thanks for the ear.

Thomas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

My repoint to ES17 is done.  Promising for sure.

As speeds can always go up and down on a whim, I will ride this for a week ro two before I say it is fixed for sure but apepars we should be good to go.

Before the installer came over I had a about 1Mbps down.... and after, they are 24 and 17Mbps so far.

What appears to have suffered in the switch back to ES17 is uploads so far.  I was getting better 2Mbps before the installer came over and now getting between 800K and 1Mbps.  I can live with that.  😉  

So... so far so good.  Thanks Hughes for getting things back on track.  

https://testmy.net/quickstats/macsociety

TJ

View solution in original post

298 REPLIES 298

Mine has been hovering in the 3d/.25u range but then yesterday was 40/3 which is great but then later in the day dropped to unusable, .3/.1

Beam 55 Mt Ranch , Ca
An ordeal to post at 5:30 Pm Thursday.. I had mid 20's Mbs for most of the day , now mid to just 2 Mbs .I expect speeds to degrade more. I am not in FAP.

http://testmy.net/quickstats/ecoalex

Beam 55 10.19.19 8Pm

Reboot Magic

Why does a modem reboot sometimes fix slow speeds?

Above Red Line speeds after reboot..

Gen5 8Pm 10.19.17.png

EyeBrowCat.png

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@ecoalex2

Most likely a coincidence in your case... A lot can happen in the span of minutes, however, if your IPGW changes between those reboots, that would be why.  You might move from an underperforming gateway to one that performs better during a reboot.  Nothing to do with the modem really.

Thought you had this fixed unplayable last night unplayable this morning Goed why do I have to pay for this crap

I CONSIDER ALL OF HUGHES NET TO BE A JOKE THE CALL BACKS THEY PROMISED 6 TIMES NOW, NEVER GOTTEN, HANGING UP ON YOU, NOT GIVING ANY HELP UNLESS YOU GO TO SOME OTHER GUY YOU DON'T KNOW OR TRUST TO GET YOUR SPEEDS I GAVE YOU MY SPEEDS THAT "YOUR" SPEED TEST GAVE ME SAYING YOU WILL CALL ME IN A WEEK A, **bleep** WEEK, THEN NOT GETTING A CALL TROM YOUR "ADVANCED TECH TEAM" THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR OVER A MONTH I CA'NT EVEN PLAY MICROSOFT SOLITAIRE CAUSE YOUR CONNECTION IS TO SLOW

@TripleMRanch

Yet you're still here...

Edit: ...trying to play a game that doesn't even use the internet.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

@MarkJFine wrote:

@TripleMRanch

Yet you're still here...

Edit: ...trying to play a game that doesn't even use the internet.

Saw that. Good catch... 🙂

How many customers have we had with bad computers, hmmm...

El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com

@El Dorado Netwo

Lol... as a native NYer and one that's familiar with Arsenal Twitter, I should have a PhD in snarky hyperbole recognition by now.

The first time he said it I thought he was just trying be cute. The second time I think he actually thought it was a symptom.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@TripleMRanch

Still complaining rather than doing what was asked to start the process of fixing the problem, eh?  How's that workin' out for ya?  

@TripleMRanch wrote:

I CA'NT EVEN PLAY MICROSOFT SOLITAIRE CAUSE YOUR CONNECTION IS TO SLOW

There's a slow connection, all right.  

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

@macsociety

Tomorrow if it starts slowing down, can you avoid pulling the plug and run tests and let us know what happens over time?  Get 2-3 days of that if it continues, and attempt 2-3 days of removing power and inform us of the results...

Hi @C0RR0SIVE, I will be able to do that today but I head out tomorrow afternoon to get my Geek down and attending a yearly Amiga (remember Commodore Computers from the olden days) Computer Faire.  I have been using computers since the 70s so enjoy my retro Atari, Commodore, and Amiga systems from days gone by.  😉

But when I get back I will try this.  Thanks for the note.

TJ

alv7722
Freshman

I just had installation today. Am getting speeds of .16-.34mps. Had to reinstall my crappy Century Link DSL to be able to use internet. "support" just had me run speed tests on testmy.net, said they would call back in 1-3 business days!!  I now suspect the people are crooks, and want my payment back.  Will put amount in dispute with my CC company. Discover has been pretty good on reversing charges when "nothing of value" has been delivered!!

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@alv7722

If you would like to utilize this support site to address your speed issues, please create a new topic in the Tech Support section.  

Hey Gabe as of microsoft 10 you need the internet to get the to the microsoft solitaire collection and because I signed up for gen 5 which is a piece of crap I am stuck with a 2 year contract **bleep**

@TripleMRanch

And yet you're still here... whinging, cursing, complaining, and pointing fingers to everyone; but still not bothering to lift a finger to help yourself.

Been on the phone with "tech support". They claimed they will "call me back" within 1-3 business days!  Reading this thread, I suspect they do not have a fix. Also been on the phone with acct mngmt, they claim there is no way to get my $430 payment back and will be charged an add'l $400 for cancelling 'service' I never received. If they took my money, knowing they could not provide the service, it would be called FRAUD!!  I am still open to someone with a brain calling me that they have a fix, but in the meantime, I have had to go back to my Century Link DSL, which I was soooooo looking forward to cancelling. 

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

A "contract" is contingent upon something of value being exchanged. I have been delivered nothing of "value" to date. 

Reggie
Teaching Assistant

If you want out of your contract try handling it like a court case.

1 File a case. (Start a new thread.)

2 Prove your case. ( Do all the troubleshooting you need to prove your service does not work.)

After you have done what  is asked of you there MAY be a compromise. If not you will know you have done all you could to resolve the issue.

Edit: IMO this is the best way to handle most issues.