cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Gen 5 owner in Northern California (slow as molasses)

Senior

Re: New Gen 5 owner in Northern California (slow as molasses)

Thanks Liz Smiley Happy You're the Best !Tiny Cat.png

@Liz wrote:

Hi TJ,

Yes, this morning I was at a meeting with engineering present and they confirmed they're going ahead with the adjustments tomorrow. Looking forward to hearing how it goes next week.

Cool @Liz, I will make sure to report what I experience. TJ

New Poster

Just wanted to jump on the "slow as molasses" band wagon. I'm here in Kansas City, MO and have experienced excruciatingly slow speeds for at least the past two afternoons/evenings. I just performed speed tests through Hughes and several other providers. Here's the latest result on Hughes: 1.18 down, 0.09 up. It's completely unacceptable. I purchased the pricey service over a Sprint or AT&T hot spot, based on the 'revolutionary' increase in capability with the launch of Gen5. If only i would consistently get the advertised 25mbs down, and 3mbs up, i'd be a happy camper. Working from home, i have had to use my Sprint hot spot (on my iPhone) the past two night just to email a 4mb file. ARGH! I'll be anxious to see if the beam 55 adjustment tomorrow helps the speed here in the heartland......
Associate Professor

@Maddog150

Beam 055 doesn't cover you if you're in Kansas...  You would be best to start your own topic to start troubleshooting as your issues are most likely different.

New Poster

Thanks Corrosive!   Just got the service around the end of June, and was very unfamiliar with Hughes--obviously still am.  Smiley Happy  Appreciate the recommendation.  

Waiting with baited breath. hehe.

Although I don't expect miracles, would be nice if whatever Hughes does today, if not already done, helps.  Speeds are slow today so guessing they have not or the fix takes a bit.  Or they are doing later today.  

Speeds last night were really bad.  Two tests before I had enough of it was lowest 500K.  Not good.  

If they can at least iron things out so an eveness, even if slower than we should get, gives us usable speeds until they can get things figured out.  I would be happy with 5 to 10 Mbps of even download speeds until they can get things figured out.  I know the happy medium is like 15Mbps.

544K does not cut it.

http://testmy.net/stats/?&t=u&d=10072017&x=2&l=25&q=macsociety

Hoping for the best!

TJ

Senior

Zip 95249 here, I would think we are on the same Beam?

Just did a speed test-   down arrow Download :: 35.1 Mbps

I'm curious as to what speed you had after your install?

I'm curious as to your install, not all are perfect, or don't have problems later, dish alignment, any connections, coaxlial fittings even cable.

Just trying to explain your problem, when I don't have any now, however did from Monday on evenings, not mornings, then a reboot solved the speed problem evenings.

It was bad from the get go.  The tech had me connect to the system via iPhone using speedtest, which I know now is not the testing standard, but while he was here I did what he said.  Ran my own speedtests later from testmy.net and they came in poor too.  But with speedtest the two we ran 1st one was OK at 14Mbps but 2nd one was 2Mbps.  A sign of how my tests would go these last week.

I just arrived home and unplugged the modem after running a couple testmy.net before doing so.  Both poor.  Then after reset of modem I am still get sub par speeds.

1st one was fine... 15Mbps so I thought cool!  But then #2 was only 5Mbps.  Far below that minimum 15Mbps we should see.  By later tonight my guess I will be back down to 500K to 2Mbps like been happening this last week.  Unless again as of 2:30PM PST they have not done this beam 55 fix.

I will of course test today and tomorrow too.

Not sure what signal should be but when I check 192.168.0.1 mine shows this:

Satellite Receive Signal Strength96
Data Packets Received60548
Control Packets Received292128
Bursts Transmitted12943
Packets Transmitted16621

Seems my Sat Receive Signal Strength has always been in the 90s and guessing that means good?

Wiring... I used to be on Gen 4 before leaving Hughes... the the tech reused the cable going into the house from the Gen 4 service.  He did run new cable from dish to 1/2 way to the cable that comes into the house where he split into it along its path.  I see a ground cable going from this split to a 110v outlet and he must be tapping into the ground there.

So, not sure of his install but looks like the one I had when I had Gen 4 that seemed to work OK.

TJ

Distinguished Professor IV

@macsociety

Signal strengths can vary from beam to beam, and where one is within their beam, but a signal strength in the 90s is good, as far as I know.  

And, though I'm only speaking for myself, and even though it's technically 60% of the advertised up to speed, which normally ISPs at least strive for, I hope that once the issue is straightened out you're seeing speeds higher than 15Mbps on a fairly regular basis.  I really do feel for all of the people on beams that are presently giving sub par speeds, including you.  I know that they truly are doing everything they can, as quickly as they can, to straighten this out, and I hope they are soon successful in doing so.    

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

@GabeU wrote:

@macsociety

Signal strengths can vary from beam to beam, and where one is within their beam, but a signal strength in the 90s is good, as far as I know.  

And, though I'm only speaking for myself, and even though it's technically 60% of the advertised up to speed, which normally ISPs at least strive for, I hope that once the issue is straightened out you're seeing speeds higher than 15Mbps on a fairly regular basis.  I really do feel for all of the people on beams that are presently giving sub par speeds, including you.  I know that they truly are doing everything they can, as quickly as they can, to straighten this out, and I hope they are soon successful in doing so.    

Me too.  ;-)

Will be nice to just connect and be on the net... at usable speeds... and not have to run speedtest after speedtest.  hehe

I am keeping an open spirit about it right now and we will see how it all pans out.

TJ