cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pswired
Junior

New Gen5 install on beam 68 - SLOW evening speeds

This is a cross-post from DSLReports:

I have a new HughesNet install- Gen5 on Jupiter 2 / Echostar 19. I'm in Maryland, and according to the one crappy beam map of ES19 coverage that's floating around the Internet, I'm on the border of two spot beams, near the Chesapeake Bay, and registered to beam 68. Download speeds during non-peak hours are around 40 Mbps and overall performance is good. However, in the evenings things slow down to 1-8 Mbps. Testing is being performed with Wifi disabled and a test laptop connected directly to the HN2000W modem with wired ethernet.

I contacted chat support and they had me run 10 different speed tests after various exercises clearing browser cache, booting in safe mode, etc. The 11th speed test managed to hit 16 Mbps downstream (maybe it had gotten late enough in the evening at that point?), at which point the agent said the service was reaching 60% of advertised speed and that everything was fine. No more help from HughesNet.

There was a thread last month on the HughesNet forum about beam 68 performance issues in the evenings. Does anyone have an update on this?

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/What-s-the-problem-with-beam-68/td-p/81658

17 REPLIES 17
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@pswired

Yes.  The engineers will have completed work to improve the perfromance on beam 68 tomorrow (Thursday).  

This is per Liz (who specifically mentioned beam 68) and Amanda.  

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Fellow-Beam-68ers/m-p/83066/highlight/true#M58648

Thanks, Gabe. I will see how the performance is at the end of the week. Is there a status page or other place to get real-time information? I specifically asked the chat support agent if there were any known issues with beam 68 and she denied that there were any problems or upcoming maintenance activities.

GabeU

@pswired

I'm not aware of any thread or other place that will give up to date info regarding the work being done at this time, but that can always change.  

As for the phone reps, I don't know if they have access to the same info that the Reps on these boards do.  The Reps here have direct access to the engineers that work on this type of thing, whereas I don't believe the phone reps do.  

Hopefully the issue will be resolved and those affected, including you, won't be any longer.  

maratsade

"Hopefully the issue will be resolved and those affected, including you, won't be any longer. "

You're tempting fate, @GabeU.   Us Beam 68ers judge you.  

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

"Hopefully the issue will be resolved and those affected, including you, won't be any longer. "

My beam's all good.  Neener neener neener!  Man Tongue

maratsade

My beam's evil and might actually go find your beam, mug it, and take most of its speedy broadband.  So there. 

@GabeU wrote:

@maratsade wrote:

My beam's all good.  Neener neener neener!  Man Tongue

@maratsade wrote:

My beam's evil and might actually go find your beam, mug it, and take most of its speedy broadband.  So there.

Hopefully 68 stops being a mug tomorrow...

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

Well, I think that's tempting fate too.  Murphy's Law and all that.  It might actually go wrong and apps will download thrice. Thrice, I tell you.

I am also on Beam 68.  I haven't really noticed much of  slow down with my service but I have been throttled for about 4 weeks or so ( my throttled speeds have seamed slower than they were a few more than ago... only around 1.5 mbps was getting constant 3 mbps )  **yes I know I said 4 weeks!  Last month I was throttled for about the last week of my billing cycle  then the 20th my data reset and somehow in one day 20 GB was used so it's been a slow month....   but for the most part everything I need to do works fine.  Even playing some low data Internet games.  

A few hours ago I tried to go online and nothing was working.   I checked my SCC and it shows a red status.   The connectivity test comes up no connection to gateway.   I have good signal to the satellite.    I tried doing a reboot through the SCC page and still nothing works.   I seen Liz did say there was going to be a fix sent out on Thursday  so maybe that's why nothing is working?  I don't see why it would take several hours, and the service be completely out during the update though.  

System Summary
State Code12.7.1 -- A transmit problem has occurred 
Summary Operational StateDown 
Data Allowance RemainingNot Available 
System Status
Satellite Receive StatusUp 
Satellite Transmit StatusDown (12.2.2) 
LAN StatusUp 1G FD 
IP Gateway Association StateCreating IPGW Pool 
TCP AccelerationDown 
Web AccelerationUp 
Suspension StateNot Suspended 
Software Download StatusUpdating... 

Update... It is now working...   

I looked at my modem after posting and the Transmit light was flashing slowly and  system light was not lite.   I unplugged the modem for a few seconds and plugged it back in... not sure if that fixed the problem or if the update finished on its own finally. 

I just did some  speed tests and over WiFi with my own router my speed is averaging 30 mbps (I'm on Bonus Bytes so have full speed)  I don't think I've ever had 30 mbps with WiFi.  I always get slower speeds with the router / firmware I have ... which I thought is something I'd have to deal with.  The speeds were always decent so nothing to complain about. 

maratsade

@wildcats198308, Ditto here.  Cutting out the power and restarting the modem was what did it for me. It went back to its usual behavior, and everything was green across the board. 

Still waiting to hear back on when the next stab at a fix for this will be implemented. In the meantime, I'm continuing to test at different times of day. Around noon yesterday, I was getting 40-50 Mbps downstream and 3 Mbps upstream. At 9:30 last night, 3 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up. 

GabeU

@pswired

Although you can certainly continue to run speed tests if you wish, keep in mind that they are still working on the Beam 68 issue as the scheduled fix didn't work.  I'm only speaking concerning the data it takes to continue the tests when the tests may not be needed at this point due to it being a known issue.  

Again, though, you can always run whatever tests you wish.  I really do hope that they soon fix this issue for those, like you, on beam 68.  

Hi pswired,

We just had a call with the engineers concerning slow speeds and they say that after the recent network adjustments, it will take a few weeks for things to balance out. Significant improvements won't be immediate, but gradual. We're going to check in again with engineering next week, so please monitor your performance until then and let us know how it goes. Periodic speed tests will be useful so we can show those to the engineers next week.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Connection and service is horrible...  Most things are taking forever to load.  Can’t browse posts on Instagram let along watch the videos posted or anything.   I did a speed test around 7 pm which was about 6 Mbps.  Just now did another around 8 pm which was 731 kbps.   

http://testmy.net/db/0n8T9hltq

Sunday it was kind of pot luck all day.
Monday night was absolutely horrible.

Tuesday night it was ok.

Wednesday night it was ok.

Thursday night it's bad again.

I think I see a trend here...

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@wildcats198308 wrote:

Connection and service is horrible...  Most things are taking forever to load.  Can’t browse posts on Instagram let along watch the videos posted or anything.   I did a speed test around 7 pm which was about 6 Mbps.  Just now did another around 8 pm which was 731 kbps.   

http://testmy.net/db/0n8T9hltq

SMH.  And when you look at the graph for that test it's all over the place.  I really hope they can figure out the issue and get it fixed soon.  Evening slowdowns are one thing, but that's just plain awful.