cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Hughes peak period performance record

Highlighted
Tutor

New Hughes peak period performance record

I was doing some analysis last night and arrived at a function that told me I should update Silverlight because of security issues. Since I was logged into an investment account, and my internet was basically non-functional for any practical purpose, I thought I'd go ahead with the download and come back to work another time.

Out of habit, I checked the progress of download in the browser and thought... "Really? Another 49 minutes to download 12.6 MB? Lets record this performance."

Screenshot taken at 10:34 PM and saved "Yesterday, ‎September ‎02, ‎2016, ‏‎10:35:13 PM"

I came back in about a half hour or so to see how it was doing. At 11:08 PM it was more than half done. File saved "Yesterday, ‎September ‎02, ‎2016, ‏‎11:09:14 PM". Making progress, only 12 more minutes to go.

Minor miscalculation in the projected download time. After coming back to check a couple of times, I saw the "12 minutes" part wasn't happening. I almost missed the grand finale but arrived in time to watch the last of it tick down and grabbed the final working screenshot. File saved "Yesterday, ‎September ‎02, ‎2016, ‏‎11:33:41 PM"

And after hitting the finish line. The end result, an hour to download a 12.6 MB file

How does this amazing performance rank in history? 2016 HughesNet is providing stiff competition for the early 90's 28.8 modem which would have required an extra minute of download time to get the job done. Impressive.

Yeah, I think Hughes has definitely oversold my beam.

You may wonder, am I in FAP? Nah.

I used the happy, confident, thankful, excited SENTIMENT icon but what I really mean is "Amused". Useless internet but high entertainment value nevertheless. You just can't make up stuff like this.

I sure hope Hughes isn't contracting with KaboomX to launch the next supply of rapidly depleting bandwidth.
99 REPLIES 99
Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

Re: New Hughes peak period performance record

Just some thoughts,

Your file transfer speeds are not necessarily indicative of your Hughesnet connection speeds.

You really have no way to know what the server load and speeds were from the Microsoft download site.

Time to run a series of speed tests at testmy.net and post the results here.

Do a manual 12 MB download while connected directly to the modem.

Highlighted

I've noticed recently that the Microsoft update servers are way overloaded. Was doing a Win7 update via the network here; 35 MB was predicted to take 35 minutes. While it was downloading, I fired up a 40 MB FTP download on another machine on the same network from our server; 2 minutes. SO: it's not always HughesNet.
Highlighted
Tutor

Yes, I know M$ server load is certainly a factor. It's doing better today.

Edit: testmy is currently reading me at 4.7 Mbps. It's still Saturday morning here.
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

AS others have noted, you can't use Windows' servers as an indication of your speed.  It took me over an hour to download a single update from Windows updates that, according to my actual speed at the time, should have taken under a minute.  If I went by the Windows servers, I'd be getting slightly better than dialup, while this clearly was not actually the case. 

And again, as others have mentioned, a few tests at testmy.net, with a single device connected directly to the modem, without the router, and using the manual 12MB test size, will give you your actual speed at that time.  Speeds fluctuate throughout the day. 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Advanced Tutor

I've always disliked Silverlight for that very reason and try to avoid watching anything run on it like the plague. Even when I had Comcast updates took forever and frequently just quit and I'd have to start all over. When I had Vista OS and Comcast it never did install correctly. I moved way out in the country and have Hughesnet now. I set all my updates to run during bonus bytes hours, so if something does take forever, at least I don't lose my anytime data.
Highlighted
Tutor

I'm well aware a flood can't flow through a soda straw. This was meant to be a humorous post.

Obviously my Hughes system is not as consistently slow as a 25 year old 28.8 dial up modem or even as bad 1xRTT cellular but at times it's so close the difference is insignificant. With testmy, I see download speeds from as low as 114 kbps up to as high as 44.4 Mbps. Gabe, I posted a 234 kbps result from last night to your current question thread.

This situation has been tested and analyzed to death, month after month and with numerous engineers involved in the analysis. Miss Amanda, over the years (no typo, that is years) has worked her butt off trying to help resolve this and another (fortunately resolved) situation for me but in the final analysis, it is what it is.

Although I don't necessarily believe it, the company finally admits there is nothing that can be done and this is the way it will be until more capacity is added.  It is high traffic causing my slowdowns and presumably causing the same poor performance for all us poor sots stuck with Beam 55/RAP for service. At least that's what they want me to believe.

It's not just download speeds either. I see primetime upload speeds that are even more ridiculous. I see testmy upload results as low as 4 kbps. Below that, the test simply fails.

There was one recent period when I had a hard time breaking 20 kbps upload using the Hughes Performance Test. 14 out of 20  tests over 11⁄2 weeks came in at 21 kbps or lower.

Regardless of major work being done on the Rapid City gateway this summer and the use of all the load balancing tricks they could employ, nothing will change for me until they launch the new satellite and free up some space.

I know I'm editorializing but I find it hard to believe a company allows such gross mismanagement of assets. Sadly, it seems as though totally overselling the asset and greatly impairing the service of those who have no viable option is what puts new birds in the air.
Highlighted
Tutor

Stellar performance again tonight.

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

GW, what is your results URL so your tests can all be looked at?  If you don't have one, you should create an account so all of your tests will be saved. 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Tutor

I usually don't bother logging into testmy since their recordkeeping seems really screwed up to me.

For permanent records, I use the Hughes test.

I did log into my testmy account tonight after my earlier post. I wanted to touch off a series of automated tests every 10 minutes to see how consistently poor my internet is this night. That just finished.