cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Hughes peak period performance record

GW
Tutor

Re: New Hughes peak period performance record

Here ya go Liz. Since Friday night, I've built you a very comprehensive picture of what it looks like to be a HughesNet customer who does weekends on Beam 55/Rapid City. It makes using the internet like watching paint dry.

For the Sunday night grand finalé, I did use the commonly requested 12 MB tests. Like all of the "primetime" tests done for you this weekend, this series ran with my main computer wired directly to the modem.

All through the weekend, every time I looked at my SQF I had 125-130. They can't blame it on bad signal or bad weather.

All tests except for the long duration hourlies were run while connected directly to the modem. Look through the results and you'll see they can't blame it on my network, whether I use it or not.

Notice the speed range over the course of the weekend. From a low of 79 kbps to a high of 24.36 Mbps. They can't blame it on anything on my side of the modem. It's all Hughes.

An 8 PM 164 kbps Hughes test concurs with the immediately previous testmy result of 166 kbps. They can't blame it on testmy.

This screenshot is a 14 minute segment of that 79 kbps download test. Note the few peaks above 200 kbps and also note the complete halts in transfer.

I hope there's a solution. The only one I can think of is prohibiting HughesNet sales from selling something they don't have.  You can't balance a load that commonly drags down to such low speeds. It's like trying to pour a 50 pound bucket of ummm, fertilizer into a beer bottles without a funnel. It just doesn't work.

Something that may help in the near term is simply letting anyone and everyone who complains about low speeds out of their contract immediately. Refund with apologies. This should start freeing up some bandwidth quickly.

GW
Tutor

For ease in reviewing speeds, here all the tables are shown in reverse chronological order. See the final Sunday night tests at the top of the list and the first Friday night tests at the bottom. You'll find them in this order on the testmy page

GW
Tutor

As it was last week, Monday morning doesn't show much relief.

Liz

Good morning GW,

Thank you for the requested speed tests, I'll send this over to engineering.

Your cooperation and patience are greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

GW
Tutor

Thanks Liz. Here are some more fun facts to pass along to the engineers.

During the slow period Sunday morning through Sunday night, my 21 test download averaged 276 kbps

Exclusively averaging the 10 test slow period of Sunday night gives 205 kbps. (no router)

During the  slow periods of Friday, Saturday and Sunday night combined, my download averaged 457 kbps. (no router)

Remove the one incongruent test result from Friday night and the three night (36 test) average was 340 kbps.

I will patiently await the response. Please let me know if you need more info.

GW
Tutor

This is getting ridiculous. Now Monday and Tuesday are as bad as any Friday, Saturday or Sunday.

Liz

Hi GW,

Just got word back from the engineer, he'll perform another days’ worth of tests starting the next hour to see how the results look to us.

I'll check back with him tomorrow afternoon once test observations are complete and post back here once I have any news to share.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

GW
Tutor

Hi Liz. I'll touch off a set to see how they compare.

Why do your engineers always insist on testing during the times the problems and traffic are the least? They did that last week too and both of us noted a large Thursday performance increase.  As documented above.

Why not run a series over the weekend when the problems are the greatest? Like Sunday when my service always crawls up in a corner to die?
Liz

Hi GW,

I let the engineer know and he'll let it run through the weekend.

-Liz

GW
Tutor

Hi Liz,

I'll change my test routine to run a corresponding hourly all weekend so we can compare, I set the first 24 hour segment to begin at 4 pm cdt today and specified 15 mb test size. Testmy laughed at the absurdity of that idea and defaulted to doinker file sizes after the first test.

So far it's clocked 15.91 Mbps, 987 kbps, 1.56 Mbps and 4.32 Mbps. I'll do as many as I can without being connected to my local network but I won't be able to turn my system into a full-time Hughes toy for yet another exercise in futility. Your engineer will be able to scan my event log and know when I was connected and when I was not. And will be able to see my local network status is irrelevant.

Edit: This just cracks me up. My test went from 109 kbps at 9 PM to 144 kbps at 10 PM to 23.82 Mbps at 11 PM. Looks like the other guy on my beam went to bed early tonight.