Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Hughes peak period performance record

GW
Tutor

Re: New Hughes peak period performance record

Thanks Gwalk.

I think there was something hokey about the power connection. It sits on top of an APC UPS in between outlet rows and is powered by the battery side. Since I have other things also plugged into the UPS, I goof with them on occasion. I've made the modem reboot by leaning it to the side to unplug/replug a printer and the cooling fan for the modem and also swapping LAN cables. After pulling and reseating the power supply plug, it seems to be doing better.

I've also moved my router very close to the modem with a short cable  rather than having it up high and 6' away with a longer cable so maybe that had something to do with it too.

Third thing I found is my coax was a quarter turn loose. It's probably been that way since the coax/grounding block was changed out last year which is what eventually solved the persistent SQF 15 error I was experiencing for so long. In fact, I don't think I've ever had to disconnect coax and/or power since that was done. Doing the cable dance by disconnecting both used to be the only way to recover from the SQF 15 error.

I know for a fact everything is grounded properly. When I got my original Gen4 install, I had a real pi***** match with the installation company who (twice) refused to ground it to Hughes specs. Of course, I wasn't allowed by Hughes to do it myself so this required a completely different service company to come out and complete the work.

GW
Tutor

Ok Liz, here's the result of the hourly auto test I set up to run all night. Looks pretty schizo to me. For orientation, the first entry is the final entry in the screen I posted up for Friday night results.

I'll set up another routine for tonight.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I seem to recall that you and I went over your installation at some length at the Shack.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

A couple of thoughts on your modem placement and power connection.

How good is the airflow to the modem ? They generate some heat and that needs to be carried away. Is it in a place where you can see the modems front panel LED's ?

If a overtemp occurs the power LED will turn red prior to doing a shutdown.

As to being on the battery side of the UPS ...

That is likely to isolate the modem grounding wise. The ODU and Modem need to be at same grounding point.

Also, UPS's (except for very expensive models) put out a modified sine wave.

It is possible that the modem isn't liking the "flavor" of its input voltage both in waveform and perhaps current at a given instant.

GW
Tutor

I thought I remembered talking with you about the crazy installers but I didn't see it in the thread here. Must have been at the shack.

I know about the heat these little devils put out. Yes, my modem is always clearly visible with nothing living on either side or behind it.  When my HN9000 began dying from heat stroke I had to put a fan on it to beat the last of the life out of it. The fan did keep me in service until I got my new Gen4 system. Ever since then, I keep a small fan blowing on the modem 24/7 to ensure it stays as cool as possible.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how the grounds could be separated or isolated. The row of UPS outlets and the row of surge protected outlets are all protected by the same ground. The coax grounding block is connected to the same ground.

I don't know what to say about the quality of the power. They only go to battery when power problems such as black, brown, spike or noise hits a threshold. My software says the computer UPS has intervened 24 times in the last 24 weeks for a total of 2 hours 8 minutes. All but 5 instances and 30 seconds were from blackout.

I started using APC stuff in 1990 and never lost anything except for APC stuff that took sacrificial hits. I started using their UPS units for my main computer in 2004 and since 2009 I kept my network stuff on one as well. The computer always seems to be happy even when I have to run on the diesel generator. I imagine I get more interventions on that power than I do from line power.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Are you off grid power? I was for 12 years and had no problem. Try plugging into grid power if you have it with no UPS or surge suppressor. If off grid be sure to use a pure sine inverter for the modem power.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

I can attest to some things not being very forgiving when it comes to power input.  I had a problem with my DirecTV receiver a few years back, specifically problem with the picture.  It turned out that there was a slight problem with the breaker it was on.  The voltage was fluctuating wildly, though only within a 2 volt range.  Still, it was enough to cause problems.  I replaced the breaker and everything was fine after that.  Some things are just very sensitive when it comes to power input. 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
GW
Tutor

We have co-op grid power with the 15 kw diesel for backup. I rarely use the generator unless it looks like the line power will be off for more than an hour or so. Now we have smart meters and the co-op has some nice on-line tools so it's a lot easier to know what's going on.

When they installed the new meter a couple of years ago they didn't properly tighten the neutral. Things got pretty wild after a while. I had several visits before they finally figured out what they had done.
GW
Tutor

The speeds held up reasonably well for a Saturday but started crashing after 6.  I set up another auto testing routine beginning at 7 PM to run on 15 minute intervals throughout the primetime period. I set it to allow testmy to  choose it's own file size and wired direct from my main computer to the modem.

As usual, the first test shown in the series is the last test shown in the previous series.

Will run an hourly test overnight again.

GW
Tutor

Indeed, the Hughes has fully regressed to typical weekend performance. I left an hourly test running all night and all day.

Tonight, since I really don't need to use my computer, I'll go ahead and specify the 12 MB file size and let it go to download testing heaven.Wouldn't want them there engineers to think I'm gaming the system with the little doinker testmy specified files.

As always to make it easy to follow along, the first test at the bottom of this page is the final test on the previous page.