cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Hughes peak period performance record

GW
Tutor

Re: New Hughes peak period performance record

Wow. Simply amazing. Notice the testmy notation... "You might have a problem... Your connection scored only 0% of the Hughes Network Systems average (100% slower)." Haha, ya think?

Just to make sure this wasn't a fluke, I waited a few minutes and did a different 1 MB download test. Even slower. 34 kbps. 4 minutes per megabyte.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

I think my folks' AOL might have been faster than that.  SHEESH!

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
GW
Tutor

About the same. When I was using 56k dialup I'd use the same rule of thumb for estimating downloads. 4 minutes per megabyte.
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

You wrote:
 Besides the creepy-crawly performance that seems to grow worse by the day, the modem shuts down if I even touch it the wrong way.
Is this still happening? Then something is very wrong with your hardware.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
GW
Tutor

I mentioned this last weekend to Gwalk. This was probably an artifact left over from the last time a repairman came out and changed the coax/grounding block. I reseated the power connector and tightened the coax and haven't had the problem ever since.
Liz

Thanks GW,

I've informed the engineer that you have tmn tests from the weekend he can use to compare.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

GW
Tutor

Hourly tests from Thursday afternoon through Sunday night. Most all were done while wired direct to the modem. When it was necessary to complete quick network tasks, I disconnected and reconnected between tests. When my network remained connected, all devices except my main computer were taken out of service during test times. Please note I adjusted the test routine as necessary so as to not occupy my computer with 45 minute download tests.

It wasn't as bad this weekend as it has been previously. Sometimes it showed actual signs of life during primetime.  Still schizophrenic with a range from 38 kbps through 28.9 Mbps. And then came Sunday with the typically miserable performance.

GW
Tutor

Fun facts about my weekend Hughes performance.

Out of 79 hourly tests beginning at 4:05 PM on Thursday, 9-15 and ending 11:04 PM Sunday 9-18:

13 were below 200 kbps

32 below 1 Mbps

41 at 2 Mbps or less.

Note: That's more than half at less than antique 1900 MHz 3G cell phone speed

19 above 10 Mbps.

11 above plan speed of 15 Mbps.

1 test completed at a rate of 3.6 MB per second

1 test completed at a rate of 4 minutes per MB.

This super low result was Independently confirmed by using another test methodology completed 20 minutes later that came in at 34 kbps. Nice range there  What may take me less than 10 seconds do at high speed would take more than 11 minutes to do at the low speed

My cumulative download average between Thursday evening and Sunday night doubled compared to last weekend, Friday evening through Sunday night.  7.07 Mbps vs. 3.52 Mbps. The tests this weekend were less focused in primetime being 79 hourly tests in 79 hours as compared to 77 tests run in 51 hours last weekend.

Saturday peak time performance (9 AM through 11 PM) improved by a tiny margin. 2.8 Mbps vs 2.66 Mbps.

Sunday peak time performance (9 AM through 11 PM) doubled. As if it really matters at this level. 567 kbps vs. 277 kbps

Liz

Good morning GW,

An update from the engineer who monitored your site over the weekend. Your system performedpretty well on both Friday & Sunday (evening thru Monday). Notat a single instance did speeds decrease below 60% of the promisedspeed.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

GW
Tutor

Hi Liz,

There's something awful fishy going on here. How do they test? What is the timing and methodology? How about showing their results? Are they using testmy or what? Are we comparing apples to apples? Do you have a link?

A few weeks ago your engineer tested my system at a 17 Mbps average download for a three hour period. No problem there. It's easy to capture results like that if you hit it at the right time. He also said I averaged 6 Mbps download during peak on the Wednesday or Thursday when he tested  Also not a problem. The tests I ran this past Thursday night during peak "averaged" 5.92 Mbps.

Now he says he never saw my speed drop below 60% of "promised" speed all weekend? What is that speed? As far as I know, Hughes does not promise anything.

I did AVERAGE 7 Mbps for all hourly tests over this three and a half day "weekend" testing period but I also saw 32 drops to below 1 Mbps. How does your engineer possibly miss these?

My issue is NOT with averages. My complaint is the precipitous drops in performance. As I said above, over MY testing period I saw a range between 38 kbps and 28.9 Mbps. How can this happen? Is testmy defective?