Hughesnet Community

New Modem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bkilgore46

New Modem

I think it's time for a new modem and power supply. For about the last two weeks my system light has been going off pretty regularly. I can reboot the modem and everything comes right back up for a while and works fine. When it goes off, I can just jiggle the connection at the power supply and all lights go off and it starts to reboot again.I notice also, that shortly before the system light goes off. the second and third lights start acting very erratic. Everything checks out good with a signal strength of about 130 or so and system lights both green. My modem's SAI number is 1333980. Any help will be appreciated.
22 REPLIES 22
Liz

Hi bkilgore46,

Thanks for posting. Is your connection back there loose?

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

bkilgore46

Hi Liz,

No,all connections are tight. The connection I referred to is the cable that goes from the modem to the black power converter. It is not loose and is fully inserted.
bkilgore46

It did it again while I was waiting for you to get back to me. Same result.
bkilgore46

Also, the power supply seems warmer than usual.
Liz

Thanks for the confirmation. Your modem should be fine, I just ran diagnostics and noticed a pattern with your equipment performance that coincides with the rain you've had in your area during the past two weeks. When weather events affect your site's signal, those changes in turn affect your modem's performance. That's essentially what I'm seeing in your diagnostics, which right now shows your system as recovered and OK.

Hope that clears up some things.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Liz

The modem will take some time to recover after the recent weather event. I see you're due for more thunderstorms this weekend, if you find that even after a few days of clear weather, your modem is still rebooting, please let me know to what it's plugged. Is it plugged directly into a wall outlet? Surge protector? UPS?

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz

bkilgore46

Thanks Liz, I'll give it some time. My modem is plugged into wall.
bkilgore46

By the way Liz, none of the outside connections are weatherproofed and the radio is not grounded.
Ricky
Tutor

Uh oh.....
Liz

You're welcome!

I pulled up your installation pics, and the system is grounded. The connectors on your grounding block and on the radio are already pre-weatherproofed as well.

Do keep us in the loop about your system performance.

Thanks,
Liz

bkilgore46

Can you email me copies of those pictures? I don't see weatherproofing on anything and no ground wire on the radio. My email address at hughes.net. Thanks
bkilgore46

Liz, it's still doing it today. No rain here since Sunday. Bright sunshine here today. It starts with system light going off and staying off until I reboot the modem.
Liz

Good morning bkilgore46,

Please check your inbox. 🙂

-Liz

bkilgore46

Hi Liz,

I received the pictures, but I need to contest them. I noted the dielectric in the connector to the radio, but there is NO ground wire going to the under side of the radio as called for in the specs by Hughesnet. Also, the pictures of the system grounding were NOT taken at my location. Pictures 6,7 and 8 are not even close to our setup. You are more than welcome to send someone out to go over it with me, but I will not pay for the visit.

I set at a bookmark for the SSD page and when the system light went off I pulled it up and it showed a yellow light with degraded status with transmit error and acceleration error.
bkilgore46

This time it went off SSD was red and code 12.7.1.
Liz

Hi,

As a courtesy, I've dispatched a technician to do a complete review of your site due to the concerns you've been encountering. Your dispatch is currently scheduled for Friday, May 27, 2016 between 11:00 and 15:00. Call us at 866.347.3292 and reference case #54206366 if you need to reschedule. Please let us know how the site visit goes. 

Thanks, 
Liz

bkilgore46

Thanks Liz, that appointment will work fine for me.
bkilgore46

Hi Liz, I spoke to the tech and he can't make it out here today. He is supposed to call me Tuesday morning.

Bobby
Liz

Hi Bobby,

Thanks for the update. Please keep me posted.

-Liz

bkilgore46

Hi Liz,

The tech was here this morning. He replaced the power supply from the wall outlet to the back of the modem. He said if it starts acting up again, to have you send a new modem. Everything else checked out OK. He suggested not putting a separate ground on the radio as he has had to cut several others wired that way to clear problems.

Thanks for your help,

Bobby