New Status Meter (6.5) Validation Issue

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Christopher1
Sophomore

New Status Meter (6.5) Validation Issue

I DL'ed the new Status Meter. However I noticed there are 2 instances of Hugesnet Status Meter.exe *32 running in my Task Manager, with the description "Electron". The previous version only had 1 instance, but I realize the new version may need 2 instances to Anytime vs. Bonus data. However, the file description being "Electron" raises suspicion as to whether this app is genuine or not. 
I called tech support (Ref # 55193371) and was told by rep that the Electron description was in fact worrisome (she placed me on hold and consulted nest level tech support), and that I should disable the app until Engineering support reviews the matter. There aren't apparent checksum values available to validate the downloaded file. The rep had me remove and re-download the app file so as to insure I was using the correct source link, and reinstall. The results were the same with the description being "Electron". I'm guessing the file description might be due to a new repackaging vendor via Github...but at this point I DON'T KNOW that to be true until verified by Hughesnet Engineering. 

As an aside, we do NEED MD5 or SHA checksum values in the future for such apps that by nature are known to be possible malware exploits.
19 REPLIES 19
handel30

I received an update notice for 6.5.0, but my Mac refuses to open and install it. Can anyone at HughesNet reply and tell us whether there is an update and whether there is any information about possible malware? Here's a screenshot of the message window I received prompting me to update. Does it look legit? 
Chris11
Alum

Hello Christopher,

This does seem to be in correlation with the GitHub packager. I'll see what I can find out from upper management about this so that we have a clearer understanding. Once I know more I'll let you know. 

Thank you,
Chris
susieq_72143

I downloaded the update to status meter and now I have no status meter.
highprairiest
Freshman

I was unable to install the "new" meter due to some error flag that did not make sense. So, I uninstalled it, re-installed the old, reliable meter and now every time I turn on my computer I get that stupid notice that an "update is available". I can't find a way to get rid of that flag.  My son has the same issue on his laptop. He also got the same error code when trying to install the new meter, so it's obviously not the fault of my computer.  I am running Windows Vista Home Premium, my son is running Windows 8.1 on his laptop.
green72

Write a replyDear Christopher;  I also downloaded the Hughes Net Meter 6.5 but I am now unable to open my meter or make it do anything.  I'm not sure if it is a legitimate free new version from Hughes Net or if it is some kind of virus or spyware or malware of some kind.  I would uninstall it but I'm not sure if it is a program or just an application and if I could uninstall it whether I could get the old version back.  What a pain in the ass.  Why can't the government just put the hackers and virus makers and trojan horse makers and all the other vermin up against the wall and just warm up the machine guns?  I despise these so called people who have nothing better to do than make everyone's life miserable by making all these bugs just to get the attention of the media or public like a two year old.  They have way too much time on their hands.  Little insignificant humans that need their lives to be snuffed out.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

!!!!!!????.....wow!
Reggie
Teaching Assistant

I think someone needs some coffee.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Yea, sure brightened up my day!  😛
Chris11
Alum

Hi Guys,

We're aware that some users are having issues with the new status meter. It is being looked into. As for the pop up, at this moment there is no way of turning this off. We've made suggestion to the team, so if there is some news of this we'll let you know. We appreciate your patience and cooperation.

Thank you,
Chris
daniellesaintem

The new status meter does not work for us. It just keeps saying "Electron has stopped working." I want the old status meter to be returned, because I had no issues with that software! And, by the way, to sound official, you should at least spell correctly. It's 'we're' not 'were.' Just a thought. When I come to these forums, I always wonder if I am talking to someone who is legitimately allowed to represent Hughes Net, or if it is someone pretending to be an agent for said company. Spelling properly would be a good sign I am speaking to someone who cares about their job and subsequent clientele. Thank you for reading.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Who is who ?

All Hughes employees will have the words "Official Rep" posted behind their names.

Spelling:

Believe it or not ... there are times  when "auto-correct" may alter the spelling.

Status Meter:

I am not a Hughes employee (hint: it doesn't say Official Rep behind my name) and I don't like version 6.5 of the Download Status Meter either. You will find a link to version 6.2.0 here:

http://www.ricksyakshack.com/view_topic.php?id=12233&forum_id=73

You will find that version 6.2.0 will throw up a "upgrade is available" nag screen. This is something that just must be endured.

Hughes is aware of the unpopularity of DSM v.6.5.0

coachguy
Freshman

For the record I am having the exact same problem as daniellesaintmarie  and have not been able to sucessfully install the new 6.5 version of the status meter.

Thanks to Gwalk900 I have been able to re-install the 6.2 version and will continue to run it until a solution is found for the " Electron has stopped working..." issue.

I will continue to follow this thread and appreciate everyone's assistance!

Thanks,
Guy
suz

I received the notice that my meter was out of date and to install 6.5.  As soon as I opened it after installation, my antivirus flagged it with a trojan file and quarantined it.  Is 6.5 even a valid update from Hughes?  (I reinstalled the prior version I had and I have never received another notice that I needed to update to 6.5.)
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

The 6.5 update is valid, but is being flagged by several AV companies, including Windows Defender because they don't recognize the update yet.
Chris11
Alum

Hello,

We are still waiting for an update. Hopefully we'll get something soon. We'll focus on getting to a resolution as soon as possible. As for using the old status meter in the mean time, that is completely fine. The link Gwalk posted has it available. As for my spelling. I apologize if I forgot to add a apostrophe. When trying to get out responses in a timely manner, sometimes grammar is missed. However that is what the edit button is for. At least it lets you know we're human and not robots :-).We appreciate the patience and cooperation as we help address concerns. 

Thank you,
Chris
GW
Advanced Tutor

My Norton doesn't have a problem with it but Task Manager always showed three copies of Electron running in Processes. I reverted to an older version. I'm running a two year old version now. I think it's 6.0
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Eek.  Electron warnings now?  I'm so glad I stuck with 6.02.  Still have a copy of it on a flash drive, too. 
Amanda

Hi Everyone

Just a heads up, an official response from Katie posted in another thread:

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/new-status-meter-6-5?topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%...

Thanks
Amanda
Amanda

Hi everyone
If you have not yet, please visit this link https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/status-meter-6-5-a-few-questions

and post the issue you are having as well as computer information. This will help immensely. 

Thank you
Amanda