cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Status Meter (6.5) Validation Issue

New Status Meter (6.5) Validation Issue

I DL'ed the new Status Meter. However I noticed there are 2 instances of Hugesnet Status Meter.exe *32 running in my Task Manager, with the description "Electron". The previous version only had 1 instance, but I realize the new version may need 2 instances to Anytime vs. Bonus data. However, the file description being "Electron" raises suspicion as to whether this app is genuine or not. 
I called tech support (Ref # 55193371) and was told by rep that the Electron description was in fact worrisome (she placed me on hold and consulted nest level tech support), and that I should disable the app until Engineering support reviews the matter. There aren't apparent checksum values available to validate the downloaded file. The rep had me remove and re-download the app file so as to insure I was using the correct source link, and reinstall. The results were the same with the description being "Electron". I'm guessing the file description might be due to a new repackaging vendor via Github...but at this point I DON'T KNOW that to be true until verified by Hughesnet Engineering. 

As an aside, we do NEED MD5 or SHA checksum values in the future for such apps that by nature are known to be possible malware exploits.
19 REPLIES 19

Re: New Status Meter (6.5) Validation Issue

I received an update notice for 6.5.0, but my Mac refuses to open and install it. Can anyone at HughesNet reply and tell us whether there is an update and whether there is any information about possible malware? Here's a screenshot of the message window I received prompting me to update. Does it look legit? 
Alum

Hello Christopher,

This does seem to be in correlation with the GitHub packager. I'll see what I can find out from upper management about this so that we have a clearer understanding. Once I know more I'll let you know. 

Thank you,
Chris

I downloaded the update to status meter and now I have no status meter.
New Poster

I was unable to install the "new" meter due to some error flag that did not make sense. So, I uninstalled it, re-installed the old, reliable meter and now every time I turn on my computer I get that stupid notice that an "update is available". I can't find a way to get rid of that flag.  My son has the same issue on his laptop. He also got the same error code when trying to install the new meter, so it's obviously not the fault of my computer.  I am running Windows Vista Home Premium, my son is running Windows 8.1 on his laptop.

Write a replyDear Christopher;  I also downloaded the Hughes Net Meter 6.5 but I am now unable to open my meter or make it do anything.  I'm not sure if it is a legitimate free new version from Hughes Net or if it is some kind of virus or spyware or malware of some kind.  I would uninstall it but I'm not sure if it is a program or just an application and if I could uninstall it whether I could get the old version back.  What a pain in the ass.  Why can't the government just put the hackers and virus makers and trojan horse makers and all the other vermin up against the wall and just warm up the machine guns?  I despise these so called people who have nothing better to do than make everyone's life miserable by making all these bugs just to get the attention of the media or public like a two year old.  They have way too much time on their hands.  Little insignificant humans that need their lives to be snuffed out.
Assistant Professor

!!!!!!????.....wow!
Advanced Tutor

I think someone needs some coffee.
Assistant Professor

Yea, sure brightened up my day!  Smiley Tongue
Alum

Hi Guys,

We're aware that some users are having issues with the new status meter. It is being looked into. As for the pop up, at this moment there is no way of turning this off. We've made suggestion to the team, so if there is some news of this we'll let you know. We appreciate your patience and cooperation.

Thank you,
Chris