Hughesnet Community

New Status Meter DO NOT INSTALL with MAC 10.9.5

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
millertl

New Status Meter DO NOT INSTALL with MAC 10.9.5

I did the un thinkable and tried to install the new status meter and what a mistake...
It will not work, it created startup issues and should be avoided if you use MAC......
11 REPLIES 11
Amanda

Hi millertl

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with the meter. Can you elaborate a bit on what you mean by startup issues? Is that in reference to your actual Mac starting up, or the status meter itself? What issue do you encounter exactly? Looking forward to assisting you.

Thanks
Amanda
mladamson
New Poster

I'm having the exact same problem as millertl.  When you start up the computer and the status meter opens it also opens a Terminal window on the desktop.  If you quit the Terminal window it gives you a message saying that you will loss contact with Hughnet.  However when you do close the Terminal the meter SEEMS to function correctly.  In preferences I check the box not to open the meter on start up but it did it anyway.  I spent more than an hour with your tech support guy Marco who was extremely patience, courteous, knowledgeable and helpful.  He did very thing in his power to resolve the issues but to no avail.  You can find his notes under case #55142320.  We recently switched over to HughesNet from DishNet and are EXTREMELY pleased with HughesNet Services and the Status Meter tool, but I would agree with millertl.  If your a Mac user I wouldn't upgrade your Status Meter until they fix some of these bugs.  It was also difficult to download because the computer didn't recognize the developer and I had to change my security preferences to download it and then reset them back to the original settings.  The meter works OK but there are no little indicators along the bottom timeline that tell you where you are on the data usage like there were in the older version.  Not an improvement.  I've rambled on enough, I hope this helps your software people so they can fix these bugs.
Amanda

Hello,

Thank you for the information! That definitely helps a lot. I am asking around to find the best person to escalate this to. The status meters are always tested by our Beta testers (real customers) before release, so it is unfortunate that there is still this issue. I will keep you updated on what's going on.

Thanks
Amanda
jstreitt
Spectator

I too have Macs, both with ElCapitan OS.  I see the same thing with Terminal up and running after start-up.  It looks like it is using a Terminal command to start the Status Meter application.  This is a non-standard way to open a program on a Mac. This makes me nervous about the security on my computers so I have removed the Meter application from both of my computers.  

I also missed the indicator on the bottom timeline. But the rest of meter did seem to work ok.
Ricky
Tutor

This for sure is not a upgrade when HughesNet took away data.
Janis Harringto

I also miss the indicator on the bottom line that shows how much you have used and what the expected usage is and if you are over expected usage.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

A copy of version 6.2.0 may be found here:
http://www46.zippyshare.com/v/zjZNJSle/file.html
Amanda

Hi

Just an update, we have an official response from Katie via our engineers:

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/new-status-meter-6-5?topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%...

Thanks
Amanda
Amanda

Hi everyone
If you have not yet, please visit this link https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/status-meter-6-5-a-few-questions

and post the issue you are having as well as computer information. This will help immensely. 

Thank you
Amanda
millertl

I still say avoid it , you should not have a terminal opening up a status meter, and it simply causes it to work at times or not work at all, if this was BETA TESTED as stated it is strange so many others have exact same issue, stay with the older version, you get nothing from the upgrade.........
savagian
New Poster

I noticed the same thing with the Terminal popping up and became worried that my system's information was being compromised.
Please fix this!  Also wish the indicator on the date was still there on the bottom.