New Usage Meter v.6.7

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TRider
New Poster

New Usage Meter v.6.7

Just downloaded and installed the new Usage Meter v. 6.7.  Now the meter cannot reconnect to modem and says Modem not Available.

I run Win 10 and have HT 1000 modem. Any help would be appreciated

47 REPLIES 47

Hello TRider,

Since the steps I provided did not work and Avast already allows the status meter through, it wouldn't hurt to follow the instructions that @MarkJFine posted on the first page (deleting the HughesNet Usage Meter folder). Just make sure the Status Meter is closed before deleting the folder, then try opening the meter again after the folder has been deleted. Let us know if that works!

Amanda

Just for clarity: You should delete "C:\Users\[your User name]\AppData\Roaming\HughesNet Usage Meter\" where you replace [your User name] with <drumroll> your user name on the computer.

If you delete "C:\Program Files\HughesNet Usage Meter\" instead, it will delete the application, and there's no reason to do that.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

I have been running version 6.6.1.0 since I purchased this new computer.  No problems

After being pestered to download the latest version (6.7.0.0), the program can no longer find the HUGHESNET MODEM.

I uninstalled the version running and downloaded and installed 6.7.0.0.  Same problems.

I uninstalled version 6.7.0.0 and re-installed 6.6.1.0.  Works just fine.

Windows  OS Version:                10.0.16299 N/A Build 16299

Fortunate for me, I have the original downloads on a backup drive.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@GreyFox2001

Did you try altering the settings mentioned in Amanda's post on the previous page?  

Pestered to upgrade the HughesNet Usage Meter, I accepted the request.  Message displayed 'A HUGHESNET MODEM CANNOT BE FOUND."

1.  Chose settings.  Unchecked the Use Default Modem address and saved it.  No change of status.  Changed the modem address to the address of the modem which I can access from my browser (which is the same as the default.)  Saved it and no change.

2.  Looked for solutions on the internet.  One suggestion was to remove the directory under appdata/roaming/HughesNet Usage Meter/Cache.  No change of status.

3.  Uninstalled HughesNet Usage Meter and downloaded the latest version.  No change.

4.  Uninstalled HughesNet Usage Meter and re-installed version 6.6.1.0.  This still works.

5.  Upgraded the HughesNet Usage Meter from the app.  Unable to find the mode.

6. Uninstalled HughesNet Usage Meter and downloaded the latest version.

@GreyFox2001

@TRider

@Amanda

I still think that the two users are experiencing a firewall problem.

I saw the error message on the taskbar once myself after the upgrade from v6.1.1 to v6.7.0.0

Usage meter IS running to generate that message on the task bar next to the network icon

I suggest be absolutely sure that the NEW version is not being blocked by checking the firewall logs.

here's a snippet of mine.

HN UsageMeter-rule.PNG

What port needs to be opened for HughesNet Usage Meter?  The older version continues to work. 

Im assuming that this is still the same GreyFox who commented yesterday,

@GreyFox200 wrote:

What port needs to be opened for HughesNet Usage Meter?  The older version continues to work. 

I dont know, but the answer to your question would be in your firewall history (logs).

I am just a user (not tech support) 

Amanda and @GabeU are BOTH very good at solutions, but They could be in the pacific time zone, very early there now.

Grey Fox, please be patient.

Your solution might be as simple as "allowing" HughesNet Usage meter to access the modem.

confirm that your security rules are allowing version 6.7.0.0 to pass information to your local network.

Of course you would have to install it again. Smiley Frustrated

I suspect that v 6.7 announces itself a little different than v 6.1.1 does.  

could be why the old version still works and the new one is blocked.

Same GreyFox.  HughesNet made me change my User ID because the one I started with is taken.

I removed the power from the modem, shut down this PC, waited ten minutes of more and restarted.  Usage Meter 6.7 still fails.  From the status-meter.log:  "modem: Call to http://192.168.0.1/getdeviceinfo/info.bin failed."

uninstalled 6.7.  Re-installed 6.6.1.  Works just fine.  Nothing in the status-meter.log.

I will ignore the messages to upgrade. 

If it works, don't fix it.

Did it work?  Yes.

Did you fix it?  Yes.

Does it still work?  No.

@GreyFox200

@GreyFox200 wrote:

If it works, don't fix it.

I was gonna say that, but I bit my tongue.

You have one that works, why bother upgrading?

I was hoping that you would look in your firewall logs...... not the status meter logs.....

I'm still thinking that a name change could be problematic

Im just curious,  Since you have re-installed v 6.1.1

in your C:\ProgramFiles\HughesNet   folder, is the name of the .exe file HughesNet Status Meter.exe?

Version 6.7.0 is called Usage meter

Version 6.2 is called Status meter

Version 6.2 is not compatable with my H2000w modem

Here's a good post.  https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Products-and-Plans/Hughesnet-Usage-Meter-Version-History/td-p/799...

HughesMetersShortCuts.PNGUsage-Status-O.png

Message I get when trying to run Usage Meter Latest versionMessage I get when trying to run Usage Meter Latest version

@roadking2003

Somewhere buried in this thread is the solution to the JavaScript error, if you missed it while reading through it:

You need to delete the "C:\Users\Richard\AppData\Roaming\HughesNet Usage Meter\" directory and restart it.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@roadking2003

This is the post in this thread that MarkJFine is referring to...  https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/New-Usage-Meter-v-6-7/m-p/93206/highlight/true#M6517...

You'll most likely have to enable the hidden items view to see the AppData folder.  

Screenshot (99).jpg

It's an error that is seen occasionally, but the fix is fairly easy.  

The exact same error message  AND Solution was on another post https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/HughesNet-Usage-Meter-6-7-0-0/m-p/93268#M65208

and @MarkJFine probably helped over there.

Hi all,

I see that there are one or two others in this thread with the same issue. It would be helpful to know if the original creator of this post, @TRider, is still having issues with the status meter? 

Greyfox, when you are on the computer that was having issues with 6.7 and click on that info.bin link, does it produce a plain page with text?

~Amanda

Where is the info.bin link?

Here are the lines from the log:

{"level":"error","message":"modem: Call to http://192.168.0.1/getdeviceinfo/info.bin failed.","timestamp":"2018-02-09T00:56:35.360Z"}
{"level":"error","message":"         Parse Error","timestamp":"2018-02-09T00:56:35.360Z"}
{"level":"error","message":"         This is the 7th failed attempt. The modem is now considered unreachable.","timestamp":"2018-02-09T00:56:35.360Z"}
{"level":"warn","message":"Error: Parse Error\n    at Error (native)\n    at Socket.socketOnData (_http_client.js:311:20)\n    at emitOne (events.js:77:13)\n    at Socket.emit (events.js:169:7)\n    at readableAddChunk (_stream_readable.js:146:16)\n    at Socket.Readable.push (_stream_readable.js:110:10)\n    at TCP.onread (net.js:523:20)","timestamp":"2018-02-09T00:56:35.360Z"}

From the browser:  http://192.168.0.1/getdeviceinfo/info.bin, I get this:

[Header] Version=3 Transport=3 [DATA] SAN=DSS........ AdapterType=HT1000 [Blob] FapThrottleState=1 FapAggBucketSize=20000 FapAggBucketRemaining=12967 FAPPBP0BucketSize=20000 FAPPBP0BucketRemaining=17996 FAPPBP1BucketSize=0 FAPPBP1BucketRemaining=0 FAPPBP2BucketSize=10000 FAPPBP2BucketRemaining=9999 FAPPBP3BucketSize=10000 FAPPBP3BucketRemaining=4971 FAPPBP4BucketSize=0 FAPPBP4BucketRemaining=0 TimeLeftUntilRefill=20401 DownloadZoneStartTime=7 DownloadZoneEndTime=13 VolumeUsageZone=0 UserTokenBucketRemaining=0 AnyTimeAllowanceRemaining=4971 AnyTimePlanAllowance=10000 RefillAmount=10000 BonusBytesAllowanceRemaining=14913 BonusBytesPlanAllowance=15000 TimeOffsetfromUTC=-20 FapAggBonusBucketSize=25000 FapAggBonusBucketRemaining=24820 FAPPBP0BonusBucketSize=25000 FAPPBP0BonusBucketRemaining=24907 FAPPBP1BonusBucketSize=0 FAPPBP1BonusBucketRemaining=0 FAPPBP2BonusBucketSize=15000 FAPPBP2BonusBucketRemaining=14999 FAPPBP3BonusBucketSize=15000 FAPPBP3BonusBucketRemaining=14913 FAPPBP4BonusBucketSize=0 FAPPBP4BonusBucketRemaining=0 [EOF] Lines=45

@GreyFox200

info.bin comes from the modem directly.

It included your SAN/Account number, which you probably should edit out of your post so you don't encounter identity fraud.

Edit: That said. It's very strange that the app was not able to access it, but your browser was.

Sounds like something (like Norton?) is blocking applications from accessing it via http. If you are running a firewall application or are using Windows' built-in firewall, you might want to set HughesNet Usage Meter to all access to the internet.

@MarkJFine

FYI:                Greyfox hasn't accessed it yet

when I open it , it has MY dssxxxxxx number.... not his

GabeU

@kitnbob wrote:

@MarkJFine

FYI:                Greyfox hasn't accessed it yet

when I open it , it has MY dssxxxxxx number.... not his

Yes, he did, and he posted what was shown in his browser from that link, which included his SAN.  When YOU click on that link it will show your SAN, and when I click on that link it will show my SAN.  

@GabeU wrote:

Yes, he did, and he posted what was shown in his browser from that link

@GabeU

@MarkJFine

Noted! you're right