New account modem problems

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JBannon
Freshman

New account modem problems

I signed up for Hughesnet about 3 weeks ago. The wifi worked for about a week, and then stopped working. The system light on the modem (second one from the top) no longer lights, so I think it is a modem problem. Please advise. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The problems were solved. The tech missed the first appointment due to a break down, but showed up the next day and got the service repaired. Apparently the initial installer had failed to tighten the bolts on the satellite dish, and the modem had a problem as well, so he replaced it. I'm happy that after a month I have service again. Thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@JBannon 

If you haven't tried already, try power cycling your modem.  That's unplugging it from the wall outlet, waiting for at least 30 seconds, then plugging it back in.  Then give the modem about five minutes to be fully back up and ready, and then see if you can connect.  

Just in case, please DO NOT reset the modem using the reset button on the back.  This should only be done under the direction of a HughesNet rep, and then only in the manner they instruct, as doing so improperly or under the wrong instance can cause more harm than good.  I only mention this in a preemptive manner.

Yes, I've tried that at least half a dozen times on different days. No luck. Also e-mailed tech support but didn't get a usefule or even relevant response. So still waiting and paying for a service I can't use. Very frustrating.

BarbieB
New Poster

Same happened to me an hour after the install was complete. Called tech support the next morning. Had me try the usual reboot (unplug, wait, plug back in) Tech came a few days later. Had to re-align the dish, probably because it was very windy that night.

I called tech support but didn't get an answer. Same with "live" chat. Tried e-mail and got a canned response that didn't address the problem and then got no response to my further inquiry. 

GabeU

@JBannon 

Calling right now can be frustrating, as the reps are not only bogged down with an increase in service calls due to the pandemic related, much higher system load, they're also shorthanded due to the same.

That power cycling didn't help is telling.  The reps here will likely be able to help you.  Hopefully they'll reply today, as they aren't on here during the weekends.  I'll tag a couple so they are sure to see this thread.

@Liz @Damian 

@JBannon,

Thank you for reaching out to us and welcome to the community. I am sorry to hear you are experiencing this. @GabeU explained very well why contact with support has become more difficult and we deeply apologize for the inconvenience. We are working very hard every day, figuring out more ways to improve response time and proper attention to all avenues of support.

Because we do not currently have communication with your modem remotely, and the weather does not appear to be a cause, we will need a little bit of help from your end. Once we have this, we can provide the correct assistance for this issue. In order to find out what is happening to the service, we will need to obtain the state code. If you see lights on the modem where "WiFi" or "LAN" are labeled, you will be able to access the modem's control center. This is where we will be able to locate the state code. To do this, open any browser you would like on a computer or device connected to your HughesNet modem. In the address bar at the top of the page, type in 192.168.0.1 or systemcontrolcenter.com. This will populate the control center for your modem. At the top of the page, please click on the "System Status" link. The next page will load where the state code will be displayed in the first information box. Your state code should be in a format such as "0.0.0". Once you find your specific state code, please post it here so that we can continue with the next troubleshooting steps. 

-Damian 

Thanks for contacting me.

I'm not able to do what you suggest. I'm using the wifi hotspot on my phone to access the internet on my computer right now. Once I turn on the modem, for some reason I am no longer able to access the internet at all, i.e. neither the satellite connection nor the cellular hotspot works. So I can't access the state code.

Please advise as to next steps. How about sending a tech out since I'm paying for a new service that is unusable?

GabeU

@JBannon 

The page that contains the State Code is an internal modem page.  It's not something that can be accessed through the internet.  The only way to access the page is by using a device that is directly connected to the HughesNet modem, whether by WiFi or LAN cable, though a LAN cable connection is preferable in case there is some sort of issue with WiFi.  

So, if the HughesNet modem is not plugged in, please plug it in.  Then, after waiting for at least five minutes, which will give the modem time to settle, try connecting to the page Damian indicated (192.168.0.1 or systemcontrolcenter.com), which will have the State Code, which is in the System Summary box near the top of the page.  NOT the diagnostic code, but the State Code.

Again, it's preferable to do this with a device that is connected directly to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable, but if you don't have that ability, please try with a device connected via WiFi.  If you can only do this via WiFi and the the hotspot is causing problems doing so, please temporarily turn off the hotspot until you're able to retrieve the needed information from the HugheNet modem page.  

Once you've retrieved the needed info you can unplug the HughesNet modem so that you can again use your hotspot without interference from the modem.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just for info, the reason the HughesNet modem is causing problems with your hotspot is because two or more WiFi sources of the same band will interfere with each other.  i.e. both sources are broadcasting on the 2.4GHz band and/or the 5GHz band.  The HughesNet modem broadcasts on both bands, and your hotspot surely at least broadcasts on the 2.4GHz band.  If the hotspot says it's "dual band", that means it broadcasts on both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands.

OK, the state code is 12.7.1

GabeU

@JBannon wrote:

OK, the state code is 12.7.1

It's good that you were able to get it.  I'm sure that will help @Damian in determining the next step to take.

@JBannon,

Thank you for providing me with this information. Originally, I had stated that your issue did not appear to be weather-related, as the weather in your area was not poor at that time I ran diagnostics. I had a suspicion because your system light was off but everything else was still illuminated. This means the equipment is most likely operational and the problem lies with signal/transmission. I now see that there has been persistent cloud coverage in your area. The state code you just posted is associated with an error in our greeting system between all points of transmission. This error happens when there is heavy tree coverage or cloud coverage that causes an interuption in this process. On top of this, you state the service worked for about a week and then began to have issues right when the cloud coverage started, according to your local forecast. At this time, the best thing we can do is wait for the weather to clear and run diagnostics again. More than likely, the service will return with no issue. I do apologize for the inconvenience. 

-Damian 

I think it's pretty unlikely that I haven't had internet service for three weeks now because of clouds. First of all, there have been plenty of days here during that period that have had little or no cloud cover. And second of all, none of the marketing materials that I saw about Hughesnet mentioned anything about the service only working on clear days and nights. As for tree cover, it's the same today as it was a month ago when the system was installed, as I'm sure you could guess. Please let me know when I can expect my system to resume working or how I can go about getting a full refund. Thank you.

I've checked the state code several more times during clear weather since you posted this and the result is the same state code and a complete lack of service. Please advise next steps

@JBannon,

There is a chance that this state code is hiding a real issue that cannot be detected remotely. If you would like, we can send a technician out there to check the equipment on site. While I will not be able to provide any type of refund through this platform, I will be able to send a technician out free of charge. If you would like this, please private message me with days and times that would work best for you. Keep in mind scheduling an appointment for a specific day may be difficult depending on the availability of the technician. Because of this, I will review the schedule based on your answers and present you with the ones that match the closest. Also, please include a primary email and the name and phone number of the person most likely to be there for the repair, in your private message to me. This person does not have to be yourself, but they must be over 18 years old.

-Damian 

@JBannon,

Thank you for providing me that information. I was successfully able to schedule an appointment for Monday, May 18, 2020 between 02:00 PM-05:00 PM. The scheduling department will call you to confirm this appointment. Once they do, you can change the scheduled date as needed. Also, the fee has been waived due to the amount of time you have been without service. For further compensation, you will need to call our support line. 

Please update us here as soon as the repair is complete. I am confident the technician will be able to resolve this. 

-Damian 

The problems were solved. The tech missed the first appointment due to a break down, but showed up the next day and got the service repaired. Apparently the initial installer had failed to tighten the bolts on the satellite dish, and the modem had a problem as well, so he replaced it. I'm happy that after a month I have service again. Thanks for your help.

@JBannon,

I am very glad to hear this was able to be resolved. Please feel free to reach out again if you ever need assistance in the future.

-Damian