Hughesnet Community

New customer. Always this slow? Unusable for most things

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
msnodgrass2

New customer. Always this slow? Unusable for most things

I've had HughesNet for about 4 days now.  I get about 2.5 Mbps download at best and .025 Mbps during most other times.   I got this service so I could watch Netflix, youtube, and for my son to play Roblox online, which I clearly explained to the sales person on the phone.  
We cant do any of that.  It is basically unusable.   All we can really do is stare at loading screens on our devices. 
42 REPLIES 42
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Curtis,

You seem to maintain a rather myopic view of Hughesnet service levels.

There is a vast range of performance levels (and expectations) over the present three (soon to be four) distinct system platforms.

While it may be true that some users may find themselves on a heavily loaded older generation satellite in a very congested beam, such a case is the exception not the rule.

There are many potential reasons for slow speeds and troubleshooting is a process of elimination. That process begins "local" and progresses outward.

Problems based on overloading are very likely to be eased when J-2 comes online.

andy.donna
New Poster

so they should have put it on line before promising us that our speeds would never drop below 10mbps even at primetime   ..when the truth is we dont even get 1 mbps 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

andy.donna,

Why have you not yet started your own thread, especially pertaining to the statement "before promising us that our speeds would never drop below 10Mbps even at primetime."?  I'm sure you are aware by now that they can review sales calls, and you should request such if you were told this.  

msnodgrass2

Amanda, do you have an update for me?  Also, for the third time, what speed does hughes net consider to be "high speed"?
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

"Also, for the third time, what speed does hughes net consider to be "high speed"?"

Interesting question. The FCC has a definition for "Broadband" as being 25/3 Mbps or better, Common sense would then dictate that "high speed" is something less than that.

Hughes offers internet connections over three (soon to be four) platforms. Each of the platforms offer increased performance. Within each of those platforms there are a number of available service plan levels.

The major attributes between plan levels are data allowance and speed. Common plan speed brackets are up to 5, 10 and 15 Mbps.

The key words here are "up to". There simply are too many variables in a satellite connection to even begin to "guaranty" any level of performance.

Every print and TV ad I have seen for Hughesnet has included the "up to" disclaimer" and it is clearly stated in the Hughesnet Subscriber Agreement:

1.1 SPEED CLAIMS AND DISCLAIMERS.

HughesNet service is available in the contiguous U.S. with an unobstructed view of the southern sky, and its usage is subject to the Fair Access Policy. Actual speeds vary based on the amount of traffic on the Internet, content on a particular Website, or by the overall performance and configuration of your computer. Stated speeds and uninterrupted use of service are not guaranteed. Actual speeds will likely be lower than the maximum speeds during peak hours.

The listed speeds for the Choice, Prime, Prime Plus, Pro, Pro Plus, Max, and Ultra Service Plans are only available in the footprint of the EchoStar XVII Satellite. EchoStar XVII service is generally available in areas east of the Mississippi River, coastal regions of the West Coast, and larger population centers of the Mountain West (Denver and Phoenix). A map showing EchoStar XVII’s Service Coverage areas can be found here. For areas not covered by the EchoStar XVII Satellite, only the Connect and Connect Pro Service Plans will be offered. In addition, please note that not all EchoStar XVII Service Plans are available in all geographic areas. To determine what Service Plans are available in your geographic area, please click here and enter your address.

It seems that as a matter of course that Hughes aims for a minimum service level of 60% of plan max rated speed but because the service is a shared resource this may not always be possible.

Simply put, Hughesnet is a satellite connection, not Cable, FIOS, DSL, WISP or Cellular.

msnodgrass2

Are you a HughesNet employee?  I would really like them to answer my question. 
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

The simple answer is this, there is no set definition for "Highspeed Internet" other than the typical meaning that it is faster than the average dial-up connection sitting at a maximum 53.3Kbps
msnodgrass2

I'd really like Hughes Net's definition.  Amanda answered my initial question immediately  Now, nothing for 3 days.  Hughes Net are you still watching this thread?
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

That answer will take awhile, if it is ever answered, as it will require them to "define" something that they currently, do not define and believe it or not, would probably involve them contacting their lawyers to see if they can even define it.  Welcome to America and the Corporate World where everyone has sued companies to the point that they have to put, "Caution: HOT" on ya know, drinks that would typically, be hot.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

A search yields that it generally means 512 Kbps and higher. Anything above dial-up is considered high speed.
GabeU

Anything above dial-up is considered high speed.
That about sums it up.  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Many people tend to take "high speed" as also meaning "broadband" which is not really the case.
Amanda

Hi msnodgrass2,

We're currently waiting for the review results to return. These usually take about 2-3 business days to return. I will post back to you when we have received the results.

As to reference to 'High Speed' there is no definitive answer, but there is a definition for the term 'broadband' established by the FCC. On the www.fcc.gov website you can also find testing results for major ISPs including HughesNet. 

Thank you,
Amanda
jshaw362

Hughes is a big ripoff and I will be leaving as soon as possible and I bet 1.4 million will possibly follow.
GabeU

Doubtful.  Very doubtful.

Rather than complain, why don't you start a new post explaining your issue to try to fix it?  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

jshaw362, satellite internet is certainly not cable internet and many people can't accept the limitations in speed, latency and data caps that are just a fact because of the technology.

Note the same kinds of complaints on the single competitor's site: https://community.exede.com/exede
msnodgrass2

As an update for you after a week of having Hughes Net.  Still cant watch Netflix or play online games etc.  We are still just looking at loading screens on every device. 
Amanda

Hi msnodgrass2,

We received the review of your sales call and after seeing the results, I also requested a copy be sent to me.

There were two calls to the same sales agent - on the first call he told you that the service available in your area would not meet your needs. You asked if there were any other providers in the area and the sales agent informed you he didn't know that information. He recommended perhaps you go back to your previous provider, Windstream. When that call was disconnected and he received your second call, the situation was again discussed. The contract period was also discussed where the agent informed you that after the installer leaves your contract with us begins. Our sales agent did clearly say the service would not meet your needs, but you said you really needed internet and decided you would get it anyway. The sales agent did provide you with information about our new satellite and service, Gen5 which would be available in a couple of months as possibly a future alternative. We do hope you consider switching to Gen5 when it becomes available.

Thank you,
Amanda
maratsade

Wow. Your folks are amazing.  I try to use up my data and so I stream some towards the end of the month.
maratsade

@jshaw: "Hughes is a big ripoff and I will be leaving as soon as possible and I bet 1.4 million will possibly follow"

You have choices and if you want to leave, then that's your choice.  The majority of the customers seem to be doing just fine, so they will stay and continue to use the service and benefit from it.   There is no ripoff from Hughesnet. They are a corporation, on the market to make money and they have pluses and minuses, like any corporation. Try Comcast for sucky. Good luck.
msnodgrass2

I think it is ridiculous that I only have until the installer left to determine if the service was sufficient.  How the hell can anyone know that?  A person cant check anything in the time it takes the installer to plug in my modem then walk to their truck to leave. 

We get 2 Mbps at best and .025 Mbps most other times.  It is terrible internet service.  I cant really do anything over Hughes Net's satellite internet.  And now I'm stuck me with a bill for a service that doesn't work. 

Why don't you offer a 30 day money back guarantee? Do you not stand behind your product so that you have to con people into a contract?