cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer. Always this slow? Unusable for most things

Assistant Professor

Re: New customer. Always this slow? Unusable for most things

A search yields that it generally means 512 Kbps and higher. Anything above dial-up is considered high speed.
Distinguished Professor IV

Anything above dial-up is considered high speed.
That about sums it up.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Assistant Professor

Many people tend to take "high speed" as also meaning "broadband" which is not really the case.

Hi msnodgrass2,

We're currently waiting for the review results to return. These usually take about 2-3 business days to return. I will post back to you when we have received the results.

As to reference to 'High Speed' there is no definitive answer, but there is a definition for the term 'broadband' established by the FCC. On the www.fcc.gov website you can also find testing results for major ISPs including HughesNet. 

Thank you,
Amanda

Hughes is a big ripoff and I will be leaving as soon as possible and I bet 1.4 million will possibly follow.
Distinguished Professor IV

Doubtful.  Very doubtful.

Rather than complain, why don't you start a new post explaining your issue to try to fix it?  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Assistant Professor

jshaw362, satellite internet is certainly not cable internet and many people can't accept the limitations in speed, latency and data caps that are just a fact because of the technology.

Note the same kinds of complaints on the single competitor's site: https://community.exede.com/exede

As an update for you after a week of having Hughes Net.  Still cant watch Netflix or play online games etc.  We are still just looking at loading screens on every device. 

Hi msnodgrass2,

We received the review of your sales call and after seeing the results, I also requested a copy be sent to me.

There were two calls to the same sales agent - on the first call he told you that the service available in your area would not meet your needs. You asked if there were any other providers in the area and the sales agent informed you he didn't know that information. He recommended perhaps you go back to your previous provider, Windstream. When that call was disconnected and he received your second call, the situation was again discussed. The contract period was also discussed where the agent informed you that after the installer leaves your contract with us begins. Our sales agent did clearly say the service would not meet your needs, but you said you really needed internet and decided you would get it anyway. The sales agent did provide you with information about our new satellite and service, Gen5 which would be available in a couple of months as possibly a future alternative. We do hope you consider switching to Gen5 when it becomes available.

Thank you,
Amanda
Professor

Wow. Your folks are amazing.  I try to use up my data and so I stream some towards the end of the month.