New customer and haven’t had internet service

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LisaT
New Poster

New customer and haven’t had internet service

I’ve had HughesNet services now for about a month and have used up data with tech support just trying to get service working. Am not able to download or watch any movies without constant buffering. Have spent a total of around 9 days give or take either on the phone or have had technician onsite twice. Can’t get ANYONE to write another service ticket or correct this issue. I’m trying to unpack from a MOVE and am tired of wasting my time!!!!! Any suggestions?
11 REPLIES 11
Liz

Hi LisaT,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! I pulled up your account and ran diagnostics on your site-- the HughesNet system is online and working normally. The only thing of note is that your device called "mine" only has a fair signal strength so you might want to try moving that closer to the modem, or connecting the device to the 2.4GHz network which has a wider wifi range.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

I have done all that you suggested and the connection is still very poor. I have Direct Tv and the internet is working so poorly that the GENIE is not picking up the internet. I am requesting a service technician to come figure out why your company says that connection is good, yet it does NOT work. I have been dealing with this issue since installment, feel that I should have a bill until corrected and am requesting free onsite technician to resolve this issue.
Regards
Judith Williamson
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@LisaT 

This isn't concerning your primary issue, but only your DirecTV receiver, and it's only a heads up.  HughesNet recommends against connecting DirecTV receivers due to the fact that there is no way to control their data usage, and they can use a LOT of it.  People have seen their monthly allotment of data wiped out in short order by DirecTV receivers, even when no On Demand viewings is performed.

Hi Judith,

I've just run diagnostics on your site again and the HughesNet equipment is working well. There is nothing on my end that I can see that would require a technician. 

If your primary concern is with connecting your DirecTV Genie, I suggest checking out DirecTV's support site regarding that product: https://www.att.com/support/article/directv/KM1011983

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

This has been my problem as well... Minus the DirectTV part. I've just been trying to watch my Roku TVs and can't watch an entire minute before it starts spinning. I had it installed 2/28/2020 and haven't watched a complete show yet. I had to use my Hot Spot on my phone in order to watch the news. The modem is literatelly next to my TV. 

It's extremely irritating.

maratsade

If you'd like to increase the visibility of your post, and for the reps on this site to take a look at your problem, you should go back to Tech Support and click on Start a topic. Explain the issue and be ready to conduct the required tests. Here are the instructions for the tests. 

Chances are you're experiencing issues with traffic and congestion due to so many people working at or studying from home.   Given the current worldwide situation, it's likely we will all live with this for a while. 

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

RnRBrooks wrote:

This has been my problem as well... Minus the DirectTV part. I've just been trying to watch my Roku TVs and can't watch an entire minute before it starts spinning. I had it installed 2/28/2020 and haven't watched a complete show yet. I had to use my Hot Spot on my phone in order to watch the news. The modem is literatelly next to my TV. 

It's extremely irritating.

After finally getting a technician to my home, it took 2 hours for the technician to figure out the issue. The problem wasn’t congestion, my television, the position of the actual dish, or the router.The technician had to call for assistance and was informed that the band width is the problem. I was informed that I would have to get on the HughesNet home page, go to settings, then video settings and opt out of snooze mode (you can set it for up to 4 hours) which allows you to stream 3x faster. My plan just renewed recently and between try to get assistance on the phone and when the technician was here, I’m already at 37% left of data. My service renews in 24 days. I was given an extra 10 GB of data to replace what was used while the technician was here. I was also informed that I need to increase my data plan as I will run out of data. I’m really not impressed with Hughsnet, as I was billed for a month of issues with no internet, spent numerous days on the phone trying to troubleshoot this issue and the data that was wasted trying to correct this problem. I hope that my issue helps those with the same problem
maratsade

So now that you've opted out of the thing that helps save data, you will be using data faster and you'll be even unhappier. 

GabeU

@LisaT wrote:
I was informed that I would have to get on the HughesNet home page, go to settings, then video settings and opt out of snooze mode (you can set it for up to 4 hours) which allows you to stream 3x faster. My plan just renewed recently and between try to get assistance on the phone and when the technician was here, I’m already at 37% left of data. My service renews in 24 days. 

Turning off or pausing the Video Data Saver allows streaming at higher resolutions, but like maratsade said, you'll use your data that much faster.  The Video Data Saver is designed to do just what it's name suggests, which is save data by reducing the speed of the service while streaming to that which is normally amenable to SD, or 480p.  For a higher resolutions, you'll normally need to pause it or turn it off, but again, you'll use more data.  

In the end, it's a choice.  Higher video resolution or your data lasting longer.  

With this said, it's unfortunate that the phone rep(s) never mentioned the VDS, as that's one of the first things they should have done.

For further information about what the Video Data Saver is, and what it does, see this web page.  

After 2 hours with the technician onsite, I am now able to use the Internet, somewhat better . The problem is the snooze needs to be turned on so that the band width is opened more.

Good morning LisaT, 

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

Thanks,

Liz