Hughesnet Community

New customer getting lacked of information

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
farrguy

New customer getting lacked of information

We got our service on the 5th and have been trying to adjust to our 10GB anytime data usage. We downloaded the Hughes Net Status Meter to watch our data consumption so we didn't go over. Confused because it kept resetting multiple times everyday. We slowed down our usage just because we didn't know where we were at and didn't want to go over. Finally got the time to sit down and research the problem and see that we had unlimited data the first 10 days to update our electronics!? Called into technical support and all they did was give us 1GB free. So this woman that sold us HughesNet is supposed to tell us about our plan (including our first 10days to update) but she didn't so we lose out? I think we can still get everything updated by tonight but still, if you're supposed to do something, you don't do it, don't punish me for it. Hope this isn't a preview of things to come for the next two years...

28 REPLIES 28
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Actually you get 20 days unlimited for the first month according the official reps here.

I just joined yesterday. My data didn't reset last night. I'm going to call customer service and see why not. I was also told unlimited for 20 days.
shaniboot
New Poster

I wish we new this. We haven't had any Internet since July 26. I'm not going to spend anymore time running back and forth trying to fix it. All we want is off of Hughsnet. We were not told anything when we signed up. We understand that we would have unlimited Internet like we had on Clearwire. Nothing is like we understood. We got Hughsnet in June. So as you can see we haven't had any Internet since July 26th.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

ljaj2008
Freshman

Farrguy, most of us end up surprised and frustrated when we find this out after the fact (I know I did). This forum is a great place for information, though, so I am glad you found it. Somewhere there is a thread of recommendations of information HughesNet should include in a "welcome to our service" booklet.
Chris11
Alum

Hi farrguy, 

I see this is your first post here so welcome! This is information that we are working diligently to better inform out customers on. We apologize that it was not made clear to you and as a courtesy to you I have gone ahead and added some token bandwidth to your site to help you get any updates that you need installed. Although this bandwidth will only be used when you do not have anytime data left. I hope this helps you.

Thank you,
Chris
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Did I misunderstand once more or did OP say he got service on the 5th? This would mean he is still in the 20 day grace period. Has until the 25th if so.
farrguy

Hi Chirs,

Thank you for the greeting. Not really the circumstance I was wanting to meet. I appreciate the token. Could you explain what these are and how they work? All I have been trying to figure out these last 10 days is how not to go over my data allowance. A simple welcome email with everything I need to know about my service would be a lot more helpful than tokens and to hear from other customers the rules of my service. Regardless, thanks for the effort.

farrguy

Hey sgoshe,

FYI, I was just told there is no unlimited days for specific regions. On the call to hughesnet this morning we learned we had unlimited data and that would be on until midnight tonight. We start updating everything and then notice its going through our tokens that we're given. We called back into hughsnet and they then said we haven't had unlimited data and we just went through our 10GB anytime data. After some headache we were back to 10 GB anytime data. Hopefully this was just a bump in our experience with hughesnet because besides all this I haven't had a problem with the service.   

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Ehh, I have yet to see them not provide the 20 days of unlimited data...  Yes the meter will decline the first 20 days, but it resets every so many hours.
paulamcintosh62

wow, I am coming up on the end of our first month and had no idea about any days of unlimited data.  We are currently at 10% left and our plan resets on the 17th.  NOTHING was explained to us from HN, so I to am hoping the next 23 months go smoothly.
farrguy

I am awake at 5am to try and finish what we need downloaded and see that our HughesNet Status Meter has reset AGAIN!? With two phone calls into tech support yesterday, one telling me I have unlimited data for 10 days that ended at midnight last night, the other saying I never had any unlimited data for my region. Then back to my original question I called for yesterday: why is my Status Meter resetting? It started using my tokens last night and that is why I called in the second time. I just want to know what's going on please. I don't like the feeling of being told something and not being sure if it's true. Anyone able to help with how I figure this out?
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I have a feeling that even with the 20 grace period if you use up all your bytes before the meter resets for the day then you will start using token bytes. Hopefully Chris can shed some light.

And still pretty certain the unlimited grace period is 20 days, NOT 10, that is why your meters are still resetting.
farrguy

Then why am I being told 10days or we haven't had any grace period at all? Am I talking to the wrong people? We called tech support, am I talking to the wrong department?

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Honest answer, if you've been talking to tier 1 support then you've been talking to script readers who have no clue. The official reps here work right in the corporate office, they will provide the correct answers to all your questions. Give them some time.
Amanda

Hi Guys

Perhaps we can clear up some confusion as we were somewhat misinformed up until 2 weeks ago. If you are on an HN9000 Spaceway GEN4 plan and a new customer, you receive 10 days. If you are on a HT1100 GEN4 plan you receive 20 days.

Thanks
Amanda
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Well Amanda once again major confusion because of the two different systems. May I ask why the difference in the days? Seems to me would be better to have both the same. Call me crazy.  🙂
brandon1

If you look at the Status Meter and its still resetting, you must still be in the grace period. Some people at HN don't know everything so they tend to give out the wrong info sometimes. 
Amanda

For the same reason we offer different bandwidth packages on each system depending on geographical location 🙂 Limitations, limitations.
brandon1

Amanda thanks for the info.