Hughesnet Community

New customer getting lacked of information

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
farrguy

New customer getting lacked of information

We got our service on the 5th and have been trying to adjust to our 10GB anytime data usage. We downloaded the Hughes Net Status Meter to watch our data consumption so we didn't go over. Confused because it kept resetting multiple times everyday. We slowed down our usage just because we didn't know where we were at and didn't want to go over. Finally got the time to sit down and research the problem and see that we had unlimited data the first 10 days to update our electronics!? Called into technical support and all they did was give us 1GB free. So this woman that sold us HughesNet is supposed to tell us about our plan (including our first 10days to update) but she didn't so we lose out? I think we can still get everything updated by tonight but still, if you're supposed to do something, you don't do it, don't punish me for it. Hope this isn't a preview of things to come for the next two years...

28 REPLIES 28
farrguy

According to my system control center, it's a HT1100. Does that mean it will keep resetting until day 20? Sorry, I am really confused. Is that as soon as it hits day 20 on my Status Meter or the end of day 20? Are there specific regions that don't do this or since my Status Meter is resetting that means I am in one of those regions? Should I ignore what the tech support said and go with this?
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Amanda, so which system is farrguy on and why is it still resetting if on the Spaceway Gen4? I'll shut up now. I'm still confused what is going on in his case.

Edit: Never mind he posted while I was typing.
Chris11
Alum

Hi farrguy,

You are on our Jupiter system and your relaxed bandwidth period is the first 20 days from installation. 

- Chris
roseann.ebert

This is in reply to farrguy. I bet the rep will tell you that he/she spoke with the party that sold you the service and that it was explained correctly! I had a similar issue about how the service was explained to me and that's what I was told. I asked for a transcript of the conversation and guess what ~ I never heard back from the rep that told me that. My service is so slow and I dare not download anything for fear of not getting any service at all. I'm amazed at how many complaints there are about Hughes Net and how the customer in the end is ALWAYS WRONG! This company should be reported to the better business bureau for investigation. I can hardly wait for my two years to arrive and drop them as fast as I can. They will not let you out of the contract because they are ALWAYS RIGHT AND YOU ARE ALWAYS WRONG! I see their commercial on television for GEN 4 being the fastest sattelite in the industry. Well then, I can only conclude that all Sattelite internet service must be really slow if theirs is the fastest in the industry. Their commercial is hideous, ridiculous and laughable. I hope you get to see it one day.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Roseann.

You stated   "I asked for a transcript of the conversation and guess what ~ I never heard back from the rep that told me that":

You received this reply:

Chris, Official Rep

• 1002 Posts
  • 161 Reply Likes

Hi roseann,

Sorry for the delay. You have been billed $90 for your service since May of this year due to an upgrade of your service that was requested in April. The previous plan you subscribed to was our connect plan, which was $49.99. The Prime Plus subscription is $59.99. This does not include tax, the $9.99 equipment lease fee, and your express repair plan which you have subscribed to since ordering your service. In addition I also see our PC security essentials and Zone alarm services on your account(= $6.90 in total). Before this change your bill was about $80. 

Pertaining to your sales call. We do not provide transcripts for sales calls. Depending on the source of your sales call, we either have access to an overview with your specific concerns looked into. Or we receive the actual recording in full. In your case I am able to listen to your initial sales call in full. So any additional questions you may have regarding it I can answer. If the sales agent was unclear we own up to that and make sure to do right by our customers. 

Other than a bit of confusion on the call with our sales rep, she went over all aspects of your plan. Our premium services that you were eligible for, and agreed to were also explained. We take your concerns seriously, and I do understand your frustrations. One thing I can recommend is downloading a program called Glasswire to help monitor your data usage. If what you explained on your sales call about only using the internet for basic tasks is true, you should not be exceeding your data allowance so quickly. Glasswire is a free tool that when downloaded to your computer, can monitor all traffic on said machine. Many other community members have found it very useful. Here is a link if you're interested:

www.glasswire.com

Thanks,
Chris

Source:

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/let-the-truth-be-told

You stated: "My service is so slow and I dare not download anything for fear of not getting any service at all."

Have looked to see if you have exceeded your data allowance and are in FAP ?

There are several methods of doing so:

Method #1 is to download and install (if you haven't already) the Download Status Meter:

Method #2 is to open the modems internal SCC (System Control Center) by entering 192.168.0.1 into your browsers address bar.

Doing so will give you a quick check of system status (color of the icons at the top)

Allowance status for Anytime, Bonus and Token Bytes, and time to refill:

Hughesnet is after all a "data capped service" for a number of reasons, that being said, if you are not in FAP and are having slow speeds then you need to build a case by running some speed tests and posting those results here within a new topic of your own so that those test results can be sent to engineering if warranted.

Only two speed tests are accepted by Hughes due to the unique nature of Hughesnet being behind a Web Acceleration server.

The tests may be found by going to your "Dashboard":  http://my.hughesnet.com/ then logging in and selecting the following:

From the "tools" tab, select "perform speed test":

Run a series of 5 tests each time, 3 time during a 24 hour period. The Hughes mods can view those test results but you may get faster results and more feedback if you were to post a screenshot here in the Community by clicking the "view test history" link:

You stated   "I'm amazed at how many complaints there are about Hughes Net and how the customer in the end is ALWAYS WRONG!"

Well, It IS a "help forum". This IS where customers post any problems they are having and engage in troubleshooting .

You stated:   "Their commercial is hideous, ridiculous and laughable."

I have to agree to the point that all advertising is, in my opinion, regardless of product or service, nothing more than BAIT.  ALL advertising is intended to catch the viewers eye and is not "gospel". It is incumbent upon the prospective customer to research if the product or service meets the needs of the user.

The truth is that satellite internet is a connection type of last resort. It never was, nor can compete with ground based ISP's

From your original post it sounds like you may have been subject to FAP or your system may be running but have an issue that is addressable by proper troubleshooting.

Stay Away From

FYI...........Glassware is currently only available for windows. Mac users will have to wait........:(
shaniboot
New Poster

We also wasn't told either.
bdvvdd12

I wasn't told anything either, But I went to google, and looked up what I needed to know. If you don't ask a question, how is the rep supposed to let you know the answer, you can't expect them to give you information if you did not ask for it. The forum here also has a lot of information. I would recommend going through the forum and catch up on anything you didn't know previously.

But here is some information 🙂
This has information on the plans and data allotment sizes for the different plans; 
http://legal.hughesnet.com/FairAccessPolicyGen4.cfm

This has information pertaining to how Hughesnet Manages their network;
http://legal.hughesnet.com/NetworkManagement.cfm

This has a little bit of info on the satellite system
http://www.hughesnet.com/satellite-internet/#works