New customer - very poor speeds

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scottahall
Freshman

New customer - very poor speeds

I have had service a bit over a week. The first couple of days were good. However, over the last 4 or 5 days, it has gotten very slow. Streaming starts buffering almost instantly. Is it possible the dish is mispointed? I could not find a way to check the signal strength. Here are my test links. As you can see, there are pretty poor.

http://testmy.net/db/0GxaF8nNy

http://testmy.net/db/7vTweXWiy

http://testmy.net/db/iIDnw8Jte

http://testmy.net/db/eniIq1WUV

http://testmy.net/db/IweBR6rtO
26 REPLIES 26
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Thanks for those test results, as well as using the proper sized package.  I am sure that the moderators will find your results useful and forward them to engineering ASAP...

Would you be able to get a few tommorrow as well, preferably a little earlier on?

Aedan
Senior

Hello scottahall,

I see that you are new here, so thanks for posting and welcome to the community. Our engineers are aware of the issue of slow speeds in the evenings and are currently working on a fix. If you are able, would it be possible to monitor your speeds in the morning or afternoon, and post the results here? Thanks. 

-Aedan

Hello scottahall,

Thanks for posting and taking the time to complete the speed tests over the weekend. I have escalated your case and test results to our engineers. I will get back to you once I received an update. Thanks and your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

http://testmy.net/quickstats/scottahall66

-Aedan

Thank you! If more data is needed, I will be happy to gather, just let me know!

I hate to say, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. Your responses are the exact canned responses I have been hearing, almost identical word for word.

I wish you the best of luck.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@jcocke23

You are on Beam 068, which is having issues and has been for awhile, you aren't the only one on that beam affected it sounds like, and engineering is aware there is an issue, they are working on it.  In regards to your case... you won't hear any new information till it's either fixed, or engineers need new test data.

@C0RR0SIVE

Hmmm, interesting, just my luck.  Any way to switch the beam?

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@jcocke23 wrote:

@C0RR0SIVE

Hmmm, interesting, just my luck.  Any way to switch the beam?

Short of moving...no.  

Hello Scott,

Thanks for posting. Please check your private messages in the top right-hand corner, as I have sent you more information pertaining to this issue. Thanks.

-Aedan

Good Morning Scott,

I pulled up your account this morning to troubleshoot and check on your service. Base on the results, I have issued you a free complimentary dispatch to address your concerns. Please check your private messages in the top right-hand corner, as I have sent you more information. Thanks again for reaching out and please let us know how the dispatch goes.

-Aedan

Wow .. I had the same issue with my first month.. maybe they try to get away with it until you call and get them to change your settings.which I did and it is working better now. However I am still buffering when trying to watch netflix and experience slow 1.5 -2.5 speeds.   

And the worse news for me is the reality that I wont be able to play two of my fav MMO games.. seems the firewals or pings or whatever with Hughes has these sites blocked. 

I came to Hughes with the excitement of more data 30 gb from Dish's only gave you 15b.  But at least with Dish I could go wherever I wanted and had no issues with firewalls & speed. 

I am feeling like I made a very big mistake...... 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@SandraJ

If you'd like help with your issue, please create a new post in the tech support section.  

With that said, Hughesnet isn't throttling anyone's speed deliberately, nor do they throttle anyone's speed at all, other than when they are in FAP.  Slow speeds are the result of something, and it's not deliberate.  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

If MMO game that is real time then the latency on satellite will make it unplayable. Only turned based games are playable, even then someone can beat you to the punch so to speak due to the latency.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@BirdDog
MMO tend to not be very latency sensitive... While latency can impact the game, generally, they work.  WoW is an MMO and one of the few games that is known to work with almost no issues on Hughesnet.

Hi Scott,

I just spoke with an engineer and got confirmation that network adjustments have been implemented and have improved performance overall. Are you seeing these improvements in speeds? 

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

I apologize for not replying sooner. I appreciate the service very much. After the install the system seemed to be running very good. However, the days following, it is buck to the way it was of not worse. Streaming sd shows buffers about every 15 min or so and hd buffers every few minutes. I can run some more tests and post them. Could it be somethings as simple as the dish mispointed? I wish there was a setting to see signal strength and make minor adjustments.

Thank you again for taking time to address this. As this is our only option in my remote area, it had been disappointing

I am also a new customer as of today, also seeing dl speeds at 0.5 - ~3Mbps. The service is barely useable for work.

Mine is no better than 850Kbps 24/7 download but for some reason the upload is faster and it has been this way for 3 weeks of each month.

I NEVER play games or watch movies.

It is even slow checking emails and it isn't any problem with my computers and my Gen5 is less than 3 months old.

It only runs normal the first week of each month until the data is used up and it drops down to 850Kbps or worse and I test it after midnight and several times during the day and night.

Good morning Scott,

Thank you for this update. I reviewed your account and it looks like you ran out of your monthly data allowance around the time the tech visited your site. Currently you are subject to our Fair Access Policy, which means your speeds have been reduced since you're out of data allowance. You can read more details about the Fair Access Policy here: http://support.hughesnet.com/support-articles/what-is-fair-access-policy

Once you're out of the Fair Access Policy, you should be getting appropriate plan speeds. Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!