cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer, very slow internet.

rrichards207
New Poster

New customer, very slow internet.

We had our service installed on 3/31/2020 and have not seen anywhere near the speed we are paying for. over the course of a few days I've run speed tests with multiple sites including the hughesnet site. It's claiming that download speed is 49mbps, upload is 1.5mbps. I ran a speed test on Fast.com (powered by netflix) and it said my download speed was 200 KBPS. It took me almost 3 hours to watch a 40 minute program. Hope this isn't the standard now that we're 5 days into a 2 year contract...

8 REPLIES 8
maratsade
Distinguished Professor III

Re: New customer, very slow internet.

The subscriber agreement states that speeds are not guaranteed. If you haven't read the subscriber agreement, you may want to do so, to learn what's expected.  Initiating service constitutes consent to the terms of the agreement (also spelled out in the agreement itself).

https://legal.hughesnet.com/SubAgree-03-16-17.cfm

 

If you would like the members of this community to help you troubleshoot speed issues, please do the following:

A. Low speeds can happen when you've run out of your data allowance. To see if you still have data remaining, log into your account at http://my.hughesnet.com/myaccount

B. If you still have data remaining, the next step is to run a series of speed tests on the modem.

1. Create a free account at Testmy.net.
2. Before you begin testing, disable the WiFi (to see how to disable WiFi on the HT2000W modem, look under "How do I manage my built in WiFi modem?" here: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Documents/1041318-0001_a.pdf)
3. Run the tests while your device is connected directly to the modem via a LAN cable
4. To test download speeds, use the manual 25MB size
5. To test upload speeds, use the manual 4MB size
6. Run 3 to 5 tests, at least 5 minutes apart. Repeat at different times during the day.
7. Post your tests results here -- the URL will look like this: http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

These tests, while they may be cumbersome, are REQUIRED before the Hughesnet reps can begin to diagnose what may be wrong with your site.

 

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

 

rrichards207 wrote:

We had our service installed on 3/31/2020 and have not seen anywhere near the speed we are paying for. over the course of a few days I've run speed tests with multiple sites including the hughesnet site. It's claiming that download speed is 49mbps, upload is 1.5mbps. I ran a speed test on Fast.com (powered by netflix) and it said my download speed was 200 KBPS. It took me almost 3 hours to watch a 40 minute program. Hope this isn't the standard now that we're 5 days into a 2 year contract...


 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: New customer, very slow internet.


@rrichards207 wrote:

I ran a speed test on Fast.com (powered by netflix) and it said my download speed was 200 KBPS.  


Fast.com mimics streaming (it's owned by Netflix).  This causes the Video Data Saver to kick in and throttle your speed.  Because of this, fast.com will never show HughesNet's actual speed because of this.  

 

Issues with streaming likely is the new norm, at least for a while.  Ironically, what's causing the problems with streaming is so many people trying to stream.  The system was never designed to have so many people online and streaming or trying to stream at the same time.  It's causing a digital traffic jam.


Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
rrichards207
New Poster

Re: New customer, very slow internet.

maratsade,

 

Thank you for the information. I did the speed test while directly connected to the router/modem as per the user sheet and noticed a significant change in speed (13.1mbps) vs. running over WIFI. After that I disabled the WIFI from the modem all together and connected my own router. This seemed to work good for a while but now it's back to how it was. This sounds to me like it may just be congestion on the system due to current world events.

 

The technician who installed the dish came out again and checked signal strength from the dish and from the modem and witnessed the same issues I'm describing. 

 

Data useage at this point is at 98% remaining, the 2% used is probably from conducting so many speed tests...

 

I have called hughesnet a couple times in regards to this in the last week. All I get is an automated response and as soon as I say "slow internet" it hangs up. 

 

 

rrichards207
New Poster

Re: New customer, very slow internet.

GabeU,

 

Thank you for the response. This is pretty much what I was wondering. I thought they may be prioritizing useage in their system. The other issue I'm having is with sending and receiving  pictures via messages to other cellphones. The majority that I have sent have gone to failed message. 

 

Aside from attempting to stream video, live and recorded, it seems like regular internet surfing works okay.

 

Let's hope that this pandemic comes to an end sooner than later. 

maratsade
Distinguished Professor III

Re: New customer, very slow internet.

It's likely that it's all part of the same thing.  I can't send images via iMessage, though text messages without images go through (thank goodness).  Can't acces iCloud either, or Google Drive, or Dropbox, or YouTube.  Some of these work at times during the day and especially in the early morning hours, but iCloud steadfastly refuses to work, as does images via iMessage. 

 

As the pandemic goes on and things get far worse before they get better, I think we all need to accept that this is our reality for now, and have hope that this too shall pass. 

 

rrichards207 wrote:

GabeU,

 

Thank you for the response. This is pretty much what I was wondering. I thought they may be prioritizing useage in their system. The other issue I'm having is with sending and receiving  pictures via messages to other cellphones. The majority that I have sent have gone to failed message. 

 

Aside from attempting to stream video, live and recorded, it seems like regular internet surfing works okay.

 

Let's hope that this pandemic comes to an end sooner than later. 


 

dorourke7280
New Poster

Re: New customer, very slow internet.

The past two nights I've tried to download a 47 min Netflix episode at 3 am. It didn't even begin trying to download either time. The "progress circle" didn't budge. Congestion? Or is this typical of satellite internet?

maratsade
Distinguished Professor III

Re: New customer, very slow internet.

Definitely not typical, though access may depend on a user's location, and some people have more difficulties than others. But since the whole country has descended into a nightmare of almost biblical proportions, streaming has become quite unusable for those on slower internet (especially satellite), and to many who are on faster services.  It's a sign of the times, and it's affecting the whole nation, not just us. 

 

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

 

dorourke7280 wrote:

The past two nights I've tried to download a 47 min Netflix episode at 3 am. It didn't even begin trying to download either time. The "progress circle" didn't budge. Congestion? Or is this typical of satellite internet?


 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: New customer, very slow internet.


@rrichards207 wrote:

Data useage at this point is at 98% remaining, the 2% used is probably from conducting so many speed tests...


The following is not related to the issues you're describing, but mentioned only for reference.  

 

During your first twenty days of service HughesNet continually refills your Service Plan data allotment.  They do this as a courtesy in order to allow new customer to update/upgrade their devices to current without it affecting their normal monthly data allotment, as these activities can use a lot of data.  After those twenty days your usage will be tallied/deducted in the normal fashion.  

 

I just wanted you to be aware of this in order to explain why your data usage tally will start to increase around the 19th or 20th.  


Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro