cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer who can't stay connected, random reboots

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Re: New customer who can't stay connected, random reboots

Sounds like your site is much more solar friendly. Like I say, where I'm at not enough sun all year. Lots of locations where solar and wind just won't provide enough power throughout the year.

I'm hoping they'll eventually come up with a fuel cell that is efficient enough and small enough to run an entire house. I'll probably be dead by then but I think it will happen. Grid power will die when that happens.
donsjgm
Junior

Hi sgoshe,
Tesla already makes a battery (really big bucks) that will do a whole house, just for that purpose. Don't know of any fuel cells though.

The real reason that I chimed in here was your comment on pure sine wave inverters.
Pure sine wave inverters are made primarily to run electric motors. Many refrigerators or AC units will lock up or overheat on a modified sine wave. Electric motors on the other hand are not sensitive to harmonics created by a rotary generator. (won't get into synchronization and gen/motor size relations, etc.)
I have regular utility service here but most power companies everywhere have plenty of harmonics (dirt) in their electricity. I have 3 inverters and an inverter generator all 4 of which output a very clean and stable modified sine wave. All the electronics here run perfectly on them including 3 flat screen TVs and DirecTV receiver. My HE gas furnace uses two blower motors along with the electronic control board and they run fine. I can run a small window AC unit with no problem and a 1/2HP water pump motor. (intermittent operation situation) The only appliance here that won't run properly using a modified sine wave is the refrigerator.
faroutliving
New Poster

I am posting my results from yesterday. Replacing the cable with an old test cable I have (had to find it first!) showed no difference. Running out of good options...
foxbrook
Sophomore

I know this is stretch, but would you happen to have a power line conditioner you could try? or an isolation transformer with floating output? Just seems like there has to be some sort of noise or ground loop issue.
foxbrook
Sophomore

I don't recall if the power supply is 3 wire on the HN9000 but maybe you can try one of those 3 prong to 2 prong adaptors to break to ground to the power supply as a test. I wouldn't leave it that way though.
donsjgm
Junior

idk if you have the means to check but if you can, see how much voltage drop you are experiencing. If you are too low there will be a threshold where the modem might re-boot.

More likely, I am inclined to agree with Chris, the modem might need to be replaced.
Chris11
Alum

Hi faroutliving,

I think we should try another modem. We typically never see a problem with replacement modems, however you never know. Would you like me to process this? Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks,
Chris
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

donsjgm,

There is a massive difference between Square Sinewave, Modified Sinewave, Stepped Aproximation Sinewave, and True Sinewave.  Most computers use APFC (Active Power Factor Correction) now in days, while they tolerate Stepped, they will NOT work with a modified sinewave or square sinewave, which most generic UPS use.

If you are using a modified sinewave, I do feel sorry for the filtering on the equipment you are using, probably suffers a good bit.
donsjgm
Junior

The UPS is an Eaton of commercial grade. I was not aware that there was a differentiation between Stepped and Modified. I do use a Corsair PS and have had no difficulties.
Thx for looking out!  
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

There is a slight difference.  Modified will have a few steps (depends on brand and quality, there could be a single mid-step, or two, or more), where as stepped approximation is almost identical to a true sine wave from what I can find, APFC still dislikes it, but tolerates it, however there are a few very sensitive things that demand a true sinewave.  Wish I had a scope so I could poke at the different kinds first hand to see what they really look like as far as the wave-form goes.