cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer who can't stay connected, random reboots

donsjgm
Junior

Re: New customer who can't stay connected, random reboots

I was aware of the few especially sensitive things requiring true sine wave. Electricity by it's true nature is not as clean, stable or regulated as most people think. Great topic but this is probably not the place for a long discussion.
Point came up by the OP and it's doubtful that's his problem.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Thanks (Charles), I really wasn't into getting knee deep in the discussion. As an old military tech I know all the good and bad about electronic created AC. Aircraft 400 cycle AC is so clean. I'm just old and tired of fighting some battles, this kind of stuff has so much detail and we can go around and round for hours discussing it. More conducive to one on one over a beer or two.  : )
donsjgm
Junior

My dad retired from TWA as an airline mechanic supervisor so I'm aware of the 400~ (done to keep the radar from flickering).
Would like to sit down w/both of you and discuss over that beer.  Smiley Happy
faroutliving
New Poster

I have a good quality meter, but that won't catch a momentary voltage drop. No recording oscilloscope here... I have like 9 computers in the house, plus all the usual tech gadgets common these days. I would have expected to notice a power problem before now, but this is beyond my understanding.

Since I've tried both our generators, plus running off battery on the UPS, I just don't see that as a problem but I certainly can be wrong...
faroutliving
New Poster

Hmm. When I ran it off the UPS I pulled the UPS plug from the wall. Other than ground strap connected to the trea/LNB, that would be a floating ground? Hmm. Maybe Ethernet ground, but I'm pretty sure that is two 2 wire differentials. Easy enough to check. Just run straight to laptop and pull power there as well.

Heading out in a few minutes to run some errands, but will try this afternoon (one hour drive to town, so nothing is quick about errands...)
faroutliving
New Poster

Just the UPS. I am certainly willing to purchase an isolation transformer as a test. Any suggestions on what I should be looking for? Medical grade, or everyday commercial?
faroutliving
New Poster

As long as someone has suggestions, I'm willing to try them. Can this be done as some kind of mail exchange or does the tech need to make the 6 hour one-way drive?
Chris11
Alum

Hi faroutliving,

It will be done all through mail. You will receive the replacement modem which will also have a return slip that you can use when sending back your current device. 

- Chris
faroutliving
New Poster

Please do send it then. Tonight is the first month's "reset", and the hours wasted, and that monthly bill (and the data not used) is a tough pill to swallow.

Do you have my HughesNet account info that I presume is linked to this account or do you need my info?

Thanks,
Deron
faroutliving
New Poster

Hello Chris,
Still having problems here, and no replacement modem has arrived. Do you have a tracking number?