New email format problem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thekysportsman
New Poster

New email format problem

When logging out of an email account (hughes) the screen just sits there. If I log out again, a box appears that says session has ended and sign in appears. When I click on sign in it takes me to Hughes home page with the email button in the upper right hand corner. I click on that and it immediately takes me back to the email account I was signed into previously. In other words, the system is not signing me out.  I have multiple accounts and it is a pain to completely leave the system and log back on to firefox or crome.  This is very similar to the problem I questioned a year and a half ago which mysteriously was corrected about a month ago. Just before the new email format was launched. Please fix it. Thanks, OT

22 REPLIES 22
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

I replicated this and found having to close the browser to effect an actual logout quite irritating. I'm glad I don't use Webmail, but I hope the issue (feature?) gets corrected. 

Liz

Good morning thekysportsman,

Thanks for posting and letting me know what steps you took. I followed those same steps and was not able to replicate the same experience. maratsade, thanks for also trying, this is curious.

Can you please confirm that these are the steps you took? This is what I did:

1. Click "Logout" from e-mail

2. This appeared in the same window and spun for ~2 seconds before going to the my HughesNet portal.

3. From the portal. I clicked on the MY EMAIL link in the top right corner.

4. Another tab opened up with the login screen.

Does clearing your browser cache make a difference?

Looking forward to hearing back.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

maratsade

Similar but not the same. I click Logout, the screen spins for a bit and then tells me to close my browser. 

2020-09-18_8-53-36.png

After I click OK, I'm taken to the main page, like you.  If I click My Email, I'm logged back in automatically to the same account I just tried to log out of.   Seems that I at least can't log out without completely closing my browser, which I'd rather not do.  (I'd implement a workaround by checking Webmail using an incognito window; that probably works, but I imagine users may not want to have to do this). 

Clearing the cache works once. After that, the problem repeats, and I for one would rather not have to clear the cache every time. 

Thanks for your input as well, maratsade. Are you also on the new version of webmail? If so, your logout option would look like my initial screenshot.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

maratsade

Yes, I'm on the new version of Webmail. The logout option looks like your first screenshot. I click logout, it takes me to the "close your browser" screen.  I can click OK and I appear to be logged out, but clicking "My Email" logs me back in, automatically, to the same account, so I'm not fully logged out (I can't switch accounts). 

@Liz wrote:

Thanks for your input as well, maratsade. Are you also on the new version of webmail? If so, your logout option would look like my initial screenshot.

-Liz

Hi Liz, When I am signed in to an account, and then sign out, it does not take me to the Hughes home page. It just sits there. No blue wirrly thingy. Just sits there. If I hit logout again, a message appears that says "Your session has expired, please sign in. When I hit the sign in button which is part of the message, it then goes to the Hughes home page. On that page in upper right hand corner is the My Email button. If I click on that it goes back to the previous email account as if I had not signed out.  I do not get the username and password screen.  This is similar to the problem I reported a year and a half ago where it came up "Please close your browser".  That problem mysteriously went away about a month ago. Shortly before Hughes launched the new email format.  I cleared the cache and the same results.

Thanks, TKS

Hi Liz,  I just noticed that the screen shot you show for my HughesNet home page is very different than mine. Yours shows My Email and several things to the right of that which I do not have. The only thing on my screen is "My Email" in upper right hand corner.  Am I using an old HughesNet format or something?  Please advise.  Thanks, TKS

Tried to take a screen shot and can not.

That blue top menu is the same, everyone sees that. What may be different is when you go to webmail; the blue menu will be gone and you will see your inbox. The way the inbox looks may vary depending on whether you've been updated to the latest version. 

Liz

Aha, ok thanks for this confirmation maratsade.

Liz

Hi Oletrapper! 

Thank you for sharing your experience as well, I will also bring this up in our discussions with our devs. Yes, we are rolling out a new look for webmail. Your info helps as it shows this logout experience is happening for those on both old and new versions of webmail!

I'll keep this thread updated with news on this as I get it.

-Liz

This is my home portal page.This is my home portal page.

This is very different than yours. Can you tell me why? Thanks, OT

GabeU

@Oletrapper 

It's showing different for you because of your web page size.  Basically, it's not wide enough to show all of the buttons, so it's putting the rest of them under an expansion button on the right (the three horizontal lines).  If you click on those lines, you'll see the missing icons, and you'll likely also see that the buttons on the left are now missing and under their own expansion button.  If you go under your browser options and zoom out (the minus sign), you'll likely eventually see all of the icons there, as the page will now have enough room to fit them. 

This often happens with smaller screens, when a browser is zoomed in, or when the system settings are such that it shows larger font and/or icons than would normally be by default.

Liz

For anyone experiencing the same, please provide these additional details:

- What browser and version* is used?

- What type of device is being used? Laptop/phone/tablet?

*To find the browser version, click the 3 dots/lines for settings in the top right corner of your browser, mouse over "Help", then select "About Google Chrome/Firefox". 

This information can help our folks looking into this.

Thanks,

Liz

maratsade

- What browser and version is used?

Firefox 80.0.1 (64 bit)

Chrome 85.0.4183.102 (65 bit)

- What type of device is being used? Laptop/phone/tablet

Windows 10

Laptop

Thanks maratsade!

A bit of good news, one of the admins was able to replicate what's going on on one of their test accounts. I'll keep this thread updated as I receive news to share.

-Liz

Liz

Thanks for explaining Gabe, I didn't even notice that was the difference being pointed out. 

Liz

Just updating this thread, it's still being investigated and worked on.Your patience and understanding are appreciated.

-Liz

That's good to know as I'm still having the problem. Logout and it just sits there. Never returns to the HughesNet portal. Just sits there.

Thank you for this update, once I have any news to share on their progress I'll post back in here.

-Liz