cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New service already used all of my data

Highlighted

New service already used all of my data

Just got my data allowance on the 2nd and it's gone. A family of four that shares data on our phones of 10G and we seem to have enough for the whole month. But now with satallite cable and we go through our 10GB of anytime and 6 GB of our bonus in one day. They gave us every reason they could think of for the usage but it doesn't make sense. Then we unhook our stuff and reconnect one at a time and still haven't hooked up direct tv and it's gone-WTH. This internet is for the birds. I wish I had another option instead of the reccomended upgrading to over $100 a month. Never paid that much and don't want to start. We have tried it all now I think our only option is to cancel and go with someone else!!!!!!!
18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted

Re: New service already used all of my data

I wish I had another choice too. I have been with them since 2007 because where I live I have no choice. I have upgraded all the way to the top for $140 a month for 50gb day/50gb night and still use all my data before the end of month and it is no faster than the lowest option of speed!
Highlighted

Hi elkeyfamily,

Welcome to the community and thank you for your post, we want to address your concerns.

You may want to look into using a third-party data monitoring program to help you pinpoint the programs on your PC that use the most data. Community members have suggested and used GlassWire, so feel free to ask them for tips on using it: https://www.glasswire.com

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Highlighted
Freshman

PS: You cannot use a video streaming service, such as Netflix, Hulu, etc. for long unless in SD mode.Watch your Status meter. 
Highlighted
New Poster

I have a similar issue.  For the years I have had Hughes net I rarely exceeded my usage GB.  Just pretty much used the web. I have a computer for web browsing with maybe streaming a couple hours of video a month. I also have an iPad, but rarely used it.   I had two family members visit and within a day my GB usage for the  month was gone.  They both had Iphones but neither did any video watching or heaviy bandwidth usage.
I'll look at glasswire but I think Hughes would be proactive if they tested popular devices such as Iphones and Ipads to see if there is any negative impact on their customers.   Hughes does recommend various routers to use, I would like to see the company go further in useability type issues.  
Assistant Professor

From the posts I've seen here lately it appears an iPhone set to use WiFi internet calling when available can use very large amounts of data. Hopefully those with the devices can chime in.
Highlighted
Freshman

I agree. Just had four guests with iPhones for the weekend and they were advised not to use video. However my usage went from 150 Mb/day to 1 Gb/day.Do not think they made any calls via iPhone though.
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Really not up to the ISP to research how much data different devices use, way too many variables. Don't know of any ISP or cell providers that give customers any kind of information on data use by device. Another reason Hughes provides three different meter locations to monitor usage.
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

elkeyfamily,

Regarding one aspect of your post, you had mentioned that you haven't hooked up your DirecTV.  That's good.  Don't.  Of all of your devices, this is the one thing that will end up chewing through your data in no time.  Even if not watching anything on demand (streaming) it will still use all kinds of data with updating titles, apps, software, etc.  Connecting your DirecTV receiver to Hughesnet is a REALLY bad ideas.  If you have done so, I recommend disconnecting/disassociating it.  Again, it will use data like crazy, even when it's off, as it's really only in standby and will still use data.   

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted
New Poster

Birddog, I think a "metered" ISP like Hughes has responsibility to investigate customer claims of bandwidth being used in a day when no decernible activity is reported by the customer other than having an iphone turned on in the home?   Hughes relies on customer troubleshooting shared issues and on their own dime.  That's ok to a point but not as complaints mount and frustration grows,  particularly with the premuim price being paid for the service by their customers.  I can understand it if the customer is using oddball browsers or apps and it is unique to a customer.   As you mention, there are a huge number of variables, but there are also a set of internet protocols and standards ISP's have to stick to if they want to grow as a service.   Something seems to be going on compatibility wise with Iphones and Hughes.   Like the elkeyfamily, my bandwidth is gone in a week. When I purchased additional tokens, it disappeared in a day.  I can't afford this at this rate.   The other option I have is going to DISH.  I would expect them to have a similar business model and possibly technical issues being a satellite provider but Dish technical support may have more knowledge on these things.