cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gemberg
Freshman

New service, extremely slow

Hey guys,

I had my service activated as of yesterday, and the speeds are extremely slow. Yesterday was 2.5 mbps and today it was at 4.3 mpbs. I called the customer service, and they couldn't figure it out, so they talked to advanced tech support, and they couldn't figure it out, so now its elevated to the engineering team. I was on the phone for over an hour doing multiple speed tests and changing settings and nothing. The weird thing though is that my phone, on wifi, had download speeds of over 40mbps. While my computer, which is hardwired, and I disabled wifi on the router for the tests, was around 4.3mbps download. Not sure whats up with that but seeing its my second day of having it, I'm pretty dissapointed. I'm hoping they can figure it out, otherwise I'll have to cancel, to which I hope the don't charge me early ternimation fees since its so early on and the quality is extremely poor. The install tech used the previous owners sattelite dish that was here already too. While I'm in a rural area with trees, the dish is mounted ontop of the garage and has a pretty good view of the sky.

Anyone have any tips or tricks to boost the speed. The computer is the main thing that will be using the internet as its hooked to the TV itself so the speeds on the phones don't really matter to me at all.

Thanks!

Gunnar

19 REPLIES 19
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Gunnar, do you have an account on Testmy.net?  If so, could you post the link to your My Results page?  If not, please create an account with Testmy.net and run tests following the procedure outlined here: 

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607

As for early termination fees, they go into effect the minute your account is open, so your best bet would be to work with the HughesNet reps and with the community here to see what's going on, otherwise you'd be out $400. 

I'll get those done today! Just ran my first one, and it came out at 2.89mbps download. I'll do some around lunch time and evening and post the results after that.

maratsade

You need to post the URL to your MyResults page.  Make sure you have an account with Testmy.net and that you follow the instructions provided here: https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/td-p/110034/jump-to/first...

If you don't do these things, you will just be wasting data, so please read everything carefully.

gemberg wrote:

I'll get those done today! Just ran my first one, and it came out at 2.89mbps download. I'll do some around lunch time and evening and post the results after that.

Here's the results, I'll run more through the day as well.

https://testmy.net/quickstats/gemberg

@gemberg,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community. It appears this issue was already escalated today and is currently being worked on by engineering, according to your case notes. I see that they have scheduled a callback for you once they receive results from their investigation. We appreciate your patience while dealing with this issue. Please update us if you need further support after this is resolved. 

-Damian 

bokbok
Freshman

Hey Gemberg,

What are you using the internet for?  Are you streaming Netflix etc?  Do you have buffering problems?

hibud
New Poster

If you can get something else run while you can.if I could get cell service here been gone long time ago 

maratsade

This isn't social media. If you need help with tech support or billing support, you're in the right place and you should start your own ticket. Otherwise, please go elsewhere, as your comment doesn't help anyone. 

hibud wrote:

If you can get something else run while you can.if I could get cell service here been gone long time ago 

Sorry can you delete it for me thanks

BAKER072
Freshman

I am a new customer also I understand your concern my internet started loading slow at first, and once the video had finished downloading , I had no issues till the next day . The very next day we will call it day 2 my service began buffering it was quite fraustrating to say the least trust me especially since I already had a wifi service in my home that I actually hated , cause for three months I litterly had no service, without Directv in my home I would have had no TV at all . 

My current service which i have had over two years now , just recentlly did some repairs to their tower, and its working fine I am quite impressed with it , but they waitied a little late to get my business now that i have resorted to Hughesnet , I will add I do still use their serivice when I am not able to get the speed I need to complete a task , I use their service . 

with that being said I know basiclly this is a trial and error situwation with some tweeking on line to get the right speed and channel availablity . The way I was able to resolove my buffering issue as much was to disable my web accessleration help me a lot , I know that sounds weird but it did work for me . 

Hopefully this will help and also joining speedtest.com I believe is the website to run speed test has helped my streaming tremendously . 

maratsade

>>joining speedtest.com I believe is the website to run speed test has helped my streaming tremendously . 

Speedtest.com is not a reliable speed test for satellite internet.  The most reliable test site is Testmy.net,  and it's the site required for speed troubleshooting in this community, so might as well use that site for all your speed tests, so you can keep a documented history.

Not sure how running speed tests would help your streaming. 

Speed is not the main issue when it comes to issues like buffering or loading websites: the inherent latency of satellite internet is, combined with the data load from sites (the more things the site needs to load, such as videos, sound, images, etc., the slower the site will load), pathway congestion, and traffic. 

tor2ga
Freshman

They don't care....
maratsade

They do care. Why don't you give them a chance to help you,  instead of posting inane comments that help no one?  Start a ticket, provide details, do the require testing, be polite, and work with the agents on this site. 

tor2ga wrote:
They don't care....

I have been more than polite with the agents. You know nothing about what I've been through with them. If they cared, they would help or at least try to which they they haven't even tried.
Instead I was told that there is a disclaimer on the speed.
What does that tell you?
maratsade

You're right, I know nothing of what you went through.  I know, though, that you have posted here as if we can all read your mind or know what you've gone through. You have posted here as if the agents on this site are the same ones you spoke to on the phone. If this is what you believe, it's an incorrect assumption. 

You continue to post complaints, but have yet to post what exactly your issues are.  You will not get help if you don't explain what's going on and show willingness to work with the agents on this site.  These people are here to help and can do a lot more than the agents you have spoken with on the phone, but it seems you'd rather complain. That won't really get you much at all. It'll be your self-fulfilling prophecy. 

You were told there was no disclaimer on the speed because there is no disclaimer on the speed.  This is something you should have figured out before starting the subscription. The information is available openly on the Web. Researching a service before signing up for it is on you, and on you alone.  

Instead of empty complaining, why don't you try a proactive approach? You have not tried this on this site, and this site is different from what you've gone through.   But no one is going to coddle you and lie to you about speeds. There are speed disclaimers, speeds are not guaranteed, and you may not be able to stream as though you had cable.  If you can't adjust your expectations, it might be a good idea for you to start looking around for another provider, as HN can't bend the laws of physics for you.

Omg,, I think I am confused on this thread unless the message was meant for me,"
maratsade

Not sure what you're referring to. I was responding to someone else.  

BAKER072 wrote:
Why are you being so rude , you must not be having a good day .
The comments I post are about the speed and the buffering issues, which I have leaned that it's the way Satellite internet is from what I have already been told.
Further I didn't come here to challenge you or anyone , as far as another provider too late for that , your right I should have done my research .
Have a good day if I have any issues I will open a ticket the next time . After this I have no more to comment so no need to reply .
Thank you

I know now please forgive me ,," I was confused. .... I am so sorry😊
maratsade

No worries, Baker. 🙂