cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New updates for Windows 10 version 1511.

Highlighted
Associate Professor

Re: New updates for Windows 10 version 1511.

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

Why so much?  Do you have multiple computers updating? 

Also, what is that Window from?  I like that.  Is that software connected to your server or something? 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Associate Professor

That is WSUS (Windows Server Update Sevices).  I tell it what kind of updates I want, it syncs at 2AM every night, and all my machines are pointed to that instead of official M$ servers.  It's basically a one time download for any and all updates.  I have Win7, Win10 (Non-LTSB), Defender, and Skype updates setup on it... But WSUS supports pretty much EVERY microsoft product that has an update function since the earliest builds of WinXP from what I know.  If you aren't careful and select every product, and classification, it can consume several terabytes of data...  Imagine telling it to download every Microsoft driver for a single operating system alone...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Server_Update_Services

Honestly, it's rather useless for most everyone, but it's beneficial for people that have numerous windows machines on their network(shouldn't be used on networks that have less than 10 machines unless you are frequently playing with VM's that have windows on them), or someone that tends to repair computers frequently.  Never know when you might have to reinstall Win7 and need 2GB worth of updates... That can take awhile to download online, but from WSUS, over a gigabit connection, takes no time at all.
Highlighted

Eh, I only have the three W10 computers and the biweekly updates for my folks' W8.1 laptop, but I my three at different times.  The only time I ever have more than one on at a time is if I actually need a second on for a specific reason.  I don't even have my router powered up and connected unless I need it, and that's only maybe once a week. 

If I knew when W10 updates were going to be released I would do them on my notebook first in case anything goes goofy with it.  Gotta love free stuff from a class action suit.  I know "class action suit" is an awful term to use on here (J/K), but this CAS was from eMachines and it got me a free computer.  It pays to register your products, and this was a great example as to why.  A bum floppy, which was never a problem for me, got me a computer. 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted

I wonder if this is what broke my NVIDIA GeForce experience beta update yesterday... Had to uninstall, remote registry entries for it and re-install..sigh.
Highlighted

That's actually one part of the NVidia software I don't install.  I had a somewhat similar problem with it about a year ago, and since I don't really play any games (save two), I just left it off during the reinstallation. 

Highlighted

I use the beta drivers + virtual reality drivers for my Oculus Rift.. and the ShadowPlay feature is really cool for showing off gaming moments Smiley Happy
Highlighted

Oh wow.  So you aren't what anyone would call a casual gamer with that kind of equipment!  Do you ever get sick watching something with that thing?  I think I probably would.  LOL. 

Highlighted

Yeah totally. I got the Developer Kit 2 before the full model released and used it to play nothing but horror games (look up Dreadhalls, Amnesia, Affected) but did one time play Minecraft on it and made myself sick..lol
Highlighted

I haven't played many horror games, nor many games at all, but my favorite PC game is System Shock 2.  Probably not as horror as the horror games are today, but I love it.  The Half-Life series is about the only other one I play.