cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newly Upgraded to Gen5 - Speeds Substantially SLOWER than Gen4

Freshman

Re: Newly Upgraded to Gen5 - Speeds Substantially SLOWER than Gen4

@IHC wrote:

Donagibbons - I appreciate your frustrations. These inexplicable speed variations have really got me irritated as well. But please do refrain from getting into what seem like personal disputes with these other posters. I'm sure there's a technical solution to this problem. It makes no sense for Hughes to single out particular customers and give them terrible service. 

I do not have personal disputes with these other posters. They are taking it personally.

I am required to work with our students to resolve their issues no matter what type of Internet Service Provider they are using.  It is not just my service with HughesNet that I have to deal with; I have to deal with our students meeting their course work and other Instructors and other staffs who have to meet certain university standards.  The ones that contact me often with the worse authentication problems turn out to be HughesNet Satellite users.  We have encountered that HughesNet and certain Cable ISP have issues with Shibboleth Internet2 Authentication and Authorization method.  Shibboleth Internet2 is a requirement for many universities throughout the US and the World.   We communicated with the community board the schools use to share our experience with using Learning Management Systems.

I never said Hughes single out particular customers.  And based on our experience it is not.  It appears to be system wide on HughesNet based on our communication with our clients and fellowships.

We would like to know how HughesNet solves your speed issue so we can pass this to our customers as one possible cause identified is timeout related to authentication.

Freshman

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

@donagibbons wrote:

In my community system...

Most communities have an edit button ya know...

Most have delete, edit, and update buttons.  Therefore, What is your point?

IHC
Freshman

I've taken several testmy.net speedtests today. All were good at 20+ mbps. However, I just tried watching a show on Amazon and got a "bandwidth too low to stream" message. I decided to run a test on testmy.net and then one on the Hughes control panel. Testmy.net tells me I'm getting 35.5 mbps - yet I can't stream. Hughes says I'm getting...0.37 mbps. That sounds a little more accurate. 

What's going on here?

amazon wont stream - 8-26-17 2034.jpgCan't streamtestmy speed test 8-26-17 2036.jpgTestmy Results - Fantastically HighHN BW 8-26-17 2037.jpgHughes Results - These seem more realistic

Associate Professor

Distinguished Professor IV

@IHC

Speed can vary from minute to minute, and test to test, including those that are hosted by HughesNet, and those accepted as accurate by HughesNet.  This is more likely during peak usage hours, as well.    

With that said, though, HughesNet's own speed test has been known to be a bit wonky at times, which is why,  more often than not, they recommend testmy.net.  

But, as referenced by Corrosive, the Video Data Saver may be the root of your streaming issue.  If you are trying to stream in HD, or Amazon's service automatically does, it's likely that the Video Data Saver is throttling your speed to one that's too low for HD streaming, which is what it's designed to do.  The VDS is designed to throttle your speed to around 3Mbps while streaming, which is generally enough to stream in SD, and which saves considerable data over streaming in HD.  You can either pause the Video Data Saver for four hours, or turn it off, both of which you can do from within the HughesNet Usage Meter or by signing in to the HughesNet myAccount site (the VDS adjustment is under the Settings tab) at http://my.hughesnet.com/myaccount .  

Conversely, if you are able, you can set the source to stream in a lower definition or to automatic, which should work with the Video Data Saver still enabled.  

Streaming in HD can use around 3GB of data per hour, SD around 700MB per hour and LD around 350MB per hour.

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
IHC
Freshman

GabeU,

Thanks for the information on the Video Data Saver functionality and the ability to opt out of it. I wasn't aware of that. However, I've set my Amazon account to stream at "good" quality (the lowest of their three stream rates), which I believe is at or just below SD quality. I generally watch on my laptop or tablet, so HD isn't really a meaningful difference. I always turn it off. 

New Poster

I am having the slow download speeds on Gem5 also. Upgraded from Gen4 July 27, 2017. Download is good till around 5-pm EDT. Then drops to 1 or below. Upload always good. Stuck for another two years. Hopelly by them something much better & more reasonably priced will come to the rural areas. I've tried tech support. Tired of tryig.

Distinguished Professor IV

@Rick26582

Though you indicated that you are tired of trying to get help for the issue, this Community is a completely different avenue of receiving help, both in who provides that help and the people that can get involved if needs be.  

I would advise you to start a new topic in the Tech Support section to receive help, which you can do by clicking on the "Start a Topic" button on the upper right while in that section.

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Freshman

@IHC wrote:

GabeU,

Thanks for the information on the Video Data Saver functionality and the ability to opt out of it. I wasn't aware of that. However, I've set my Amazon account to stream at "good" quality (the lowest of their three stream rates), which I believe is at or just below SD quality. I generally watch on my laptop or tablet, so HD isn't really a meaningful difference. I always turn it off. 

IHC,

Has the Video Data Saver made any difference?   I run all my streaming in SD, and my understanding this only has to do with HD.  Seems to make no difference for me.

Now from the Community dealing with Universities and Colleges Learning Management Systems Shibboleth Login Authentication issue, they recommend turning off Web Accelerator or Turbo Page which seems to resolve quite a few common issues.  I have to do more research on this, this is not the first time Web Accelerator broke access to the web services needed for logging into secure websites.  

Associate Professor

Web-Acceleration can be good at times, other times, not so great... I personally disable it every time I catch it being on...  Have done so since Spaceway3, and continue to do so, seem to have fewer connectivity issues when it's off.