cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

News Harmful content

News Harmful content

When I first started using internet i downloaded lots of free software never knowing they had hidden software like pop up ads and viruses so think Google's  move to warn someone on visited sites about harmful content  as reported by PC to be helpful.  I also try to be anonymous and not be tracked for advertising on the web so use incognito Chrome and Start Page. 
4 REPLIES 4

Re: News Harmful content

you need to install Adblocker to stop all that , Holly !!! just a good suggestion !!!

Hey Holly

Duck Duck Go is a real good non tracking search engine it is open source I believe it is at http://www.duckduckgo.org

Hi Holly,

Yes, many sites want to track you for whatever purpose they need. It's hard to be truly anonymous on the internet, but I don't blame folks for trying.

-Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Hi, 

I THOUGHT I was being careful when I, too, got all sorts of add-ons and "Free" software over a long period of time. I tried to read carefully and check the correct boxes and 'DECLINE" most of their offers.  But somehow, on my main e-mail / Internet computer, about 3 months ago, it got to the point where I was considering throwing it away. It was THAT slow and frustrating. It had a new lightning fast Solid State Drive less than a year ago, and a new screen sometime before that. Vista Op System.  The Toshiba Laptop worked quite satisfactorily and was more computer that I needed. to surf, etc. internet. Did not want to spend a half to a whole thousand bucks for new computer. 

Turned out that I had oodles of Adware, Spyware, and WORSE - a couple of BROWSER HIJACKERS.   I had tried to remove them, but some were stubbornly embedded or whatever that horribly DECEPTIVE thing would be called. The computer was practically unusable due to MULTIPLE pop ups aggressively and repeatedly covering the pages I needed to view in addition to the interminable slowness often. They COULD be closed but returned often faster than yo could read what you wanted to. Can you spell IMMORAL, PUSHY salesmanship?  It was actually a violation of "Thou shalt not steal."  My life.  My time. 

I also though that my Iolo "System Mechanic" software was supposed to be protecting me from that sort of stuff 'using' me for others' nefarious purposes.  IT did not.

REMEDY?  Although I did have to pay $30 bucks for and a quick and small download, it turned out to be a quick and very easy and not a lot of time FIX.   SPYHUNTER was the name of the Adware and Spyware removal software.  I get no money from ANYONE for recommending anything. But this was one of the best and easiest remedies in many years for a most vexing problem.  It took probably an hour to get up and running better than when I was quite satisfied before.  

I am using that computer to write this and use the software all the time and it does remove tracking cookies that are unavoidable.  It is supposed to stop such adware and spyware from being installed. It seems to because the computer stays reliable, fast, and other than the still bad tracking cookies, there is little to remove with a full scan now.  

There are probably better or more less costly remedies out there. But for me it was a ‘cheap date’ total solution and back to work easily.

Hope this helps someone.  I surely do appreciate the kindness and help of so many here.

This will date me, but I was at New York University in 1966, on a Nat'l. Science Foundation program, between junior and senior year of high school,  programming an IBM mainframe for an engineering program. I have not made Info Technology my career path since then. But I am STILL trying to figure out if computers are labor saving devices.  Well, I Do like the digi photos and vids. So I put up with the hassles or so it appears. Life is good and such a blessing!   : - )

THANK YOU ALL.,

Larry in No. Idaho